Worried about my leg

(18 Posts)
bzoo Sun 10-Nov-13 19:35:12

Have a bruise and a lump on my calf. Do not recall bumping it. Aibu to wonder if it's a DVT? Can you even physically see one?

Hawkmoth Sun 10-Nov-13 19:36:57

Is it hot?

Clobbered Sun 10-Nov-13 19:38:10

DVT doesn't present like this - usually the whole calf is painful, swollen and hot. Don't panic!

cjel Sun 10-Nov-13 19:45:16

This could be DVT!! if its hot and sore. ring NHS direct. IT may not be a DVT either!!!

BuzzardBird Sun 10-Nov-13 19:51:39

Not intending to be rude but would you consider yourself to be overweight?

LineRunner Sun 10-Nov-13 19:54:55

I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, I walk and cycle miles every day - and I got a DVT and pulmonary embolism in the summer.

The leg pain wasn't even in my calf.

Always worth getting it checked out.

I had breathlessness as well, and a rapid pulse.

fackinell Sun 10-Nov-13 20:15:39

Yes!! I would most definitely go in to Casualty given your symptoms and history. Hope all ok, keep us posted.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 10-Nov-13 20:23:21

Go to a&e now. I had this. Turned out to be cellulitis and thrombophlebitis caused by an infected insect bite. Didn't even know I'd been bitten.
It was really bad. Go now.

Silvercatowner Sun 10-Nov-13 20:28:48

Unless it's really painful, it'll be fine to wait. An urgent trip to A&E for a bruise and a lump is a massive over reaction.

phantomnamechanger Sun 10-Nov-13 20:31:26

how big is the bruise and lump? what colour is the bruising? is it hot to the touch? are you feverish/at all unwell?

bzoo Sun 10-Nov-13 20:35:09

I've felt under the weather all weekend it isn't got to touch. It's just a bit blue.

AlexaChelsea Sun 10-Nov-13 20:37:28

A&E? For a bruise?

Do calm down.

Is your leg in pain? Is it aching?

If it hasn't improved by morning, make an appointment with your GP.

Laurel1979 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:40:57

I wouldn't go to A&E, but I would recommend ringing your out of hours GP to ask them to have a look. If they feel it could be a DVT they will then refer you to the hospital. I'm a GP who does mostly out of hours work and Id far rather have a quick look than have a worried patient at home. It doesn't sound typical of DVT from what you've described, however it wouldn't be safe to exclude this as a possible cause without seeing it. Hope that helps!

BlackStiltonBoots Sun 10-Nov-13 21:06:13

I have something similar on my calf- a small lump and what looks like a blueish bruise on top. I reckon it's a varicose vein. It hasn't changed since I first noticed it months ago. I am bloody enormous overweight which is why I think it's come up. I haven't been to doctors about it though and I'm not a medical expert!

If you're worried then book a GP appointment but I wouldn't go rushing off to A&E unless you have other, more serious symptoms.

bzoo Sun 10-Nov-13 21:22:34

Thanks. I work with nurses so will get them to have a wee look smile just wondered if it ought to have it seen a bit sooner. But sure it won't drop off by 8am!

bzoo Mon 11-Nov-13 15:42:50

Nurse not concerned. Have booked in at docs for tomorrow as I have to have my blood pressure taken and my HRT prescription smile

Laurel1979 Mon 11-Nov-13 15:43:42

Glad it looks ok!

BlackStiltonBoots Mon 11-Nov-13 16:53:58

Oh good, glad it's nothing serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now