THICK CLOTHING IN CAR SEAT DANGER

(184 Posts)
TeamSouthfields Sat 09-Nov-13 23:35:34

Sorry put here for traffic...

I read a terrible article today, but can't copy the link here (rubbish phone)
It's basically about the danger of babies/ young children wearing thick clothing in there car seat..

A baby was ejected from his car seat in an accident, by some miracle he survived,
His winter coat, his snowsuit, was too bulky. Even a coat that seems thin can add too much bulk under the safety belts. In an accident, that bulk compresses, leaving too much room between your baby's body and the straps. This could cause baby to be ejected from the car seat.

please share this

SeaSickSal Sat 09-Nov-13 23:46:45

It would help if you'd tell us where you'd read this so we could google?

SkullyAndBones Sat 09-Nov-13 23:51:42

it doesn't need googling, its true.

You should put your child in their wintercoat/snowsuit and put them in the car seat, tighten the straps to where you normally would.

without adjusting/loosening the straps, take the child out, remove the winter coat/snow suit and put them back in.

See how loose the straps are now.. if you can get more than two fingers between the straps and the child, its too loose.

All that space that the wintercoat/snowsuit took up is what will compress/crumple in a crash and stop the seat straps doing what they were designed to do.

Thick winter coats and infant car seats are dangerous.

Really, you ought to dress your child in normal clothes, vest, t-shirt, jumper and a thin polar fleece and tuck a blanket around them with a hat on their head... its much safer!

ThisWayForCrazy Sat 09-Nov-13 23:53:35

This is well known on other forums and not a hoax.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/a/0107_wintercoat.htm

http://5pointplus.com/5-point-plus-reviews/using-your-car-seat-tips/

http://carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/keeping-warm-and-safe-in-winter.html?m=1

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/tips_and_tricks/tips_and_tricks_8.html

Just google "bulky clothes car seat" there are tons of links, all say the sane x

SkullyAndBones Sat 09-Nov-13 23:56:30

youtu.be/r5AwtaQnNO8 - showing what i just talked about

youtu.be/e4f3gjicSdU - how to keep warm without wearing the coat as normal.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sat 09-Nov-13 23:57:49

confused I genuinely thought thought this was a well.known fact and safety matter. Am sure it is detailed in the carseat info that comes in the box with the carseat.

SeaSickSal Sat 09-Nov-13 23:57:56

Thank you Crazy. Skully please forgive me for not accepting advice about my child's safety from random strangers on the inter webs without checking it is from a trusted source first. How stupid of me.

SkullyAndBones Sun 10-Nov-13 00:00:38

crazy links made clickable

pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/a/0107_wintercoat.htm

5pointplus.com/5-point-plus-reviews/using-your-car-seat-tips/

carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/keeping-warm-and-safe-in-winter.html?m=1

www.thecarseatlady.com/tips_and_tricks/tips_and_tricks_8.html

btw.. its this crumpling issues that is also why you should NEVER leave a sheepfleece liner in an infant carseat when its in the car.. fine in the travel system as a pushchair.. but it will compress and compromse the straps tightness in an accident if its left in the carseat in the car and you crash.

Seasick do you really think you might be putting your child in danger by taking her coat off before you put her in the car seat? You don't need any links, it's common sense and bloody obvious that it's dangerous to have a child in a car seat in bulky clothing. I thought everybody would know this already.

SkullyAndBones Sun 10-Nov-13 00:06:43

they dont pat, unfortunately.

i'm a bit of a carseat safety champion and im honestly shocked at the amount of people who dont know this and havent thought about it.

sheepfleece liners are horrendous products and should never have been allowed to sell without coming with big warnings shouting "not for use in the car"

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 10-Nov-13 00:09:09

Thanks for letting me know!

I had no idea about this at all. Pretty sure none of my friends or family are aware either. Wouldn't say it is common knowledge at all. This is information that should be shared. I'll post some links on facebook and hope they dont get lost amongst all the rubbish false info ones. Thank you OP

Strumpetron Sun 10-Nov-13 00:12:57

I haven't even got a child and thought it was obvious but I suppose it's one of them things people might not think of.

Nice of you to warn people OP smile

bebanjo Sun 10-Nov-13 00:13:21

Why does a child need a coat on in the car?
I mean I know peopel do but I've never understood why.

SeaSickSal Sun 10-Nov-13 00:13:38

No I have never heard this despite having two car seats professionally fitted. I would think it was more common sense to check out things you see on the net from complete strangers without blindly believing it. Otherwise a Nigerian politician would have all my money.

But thanks OP for bringing this to my attention. Duly noted.

SkullyAndBones Sun 10-Nov-13 00:14:25

i agree with you Widge... personally i think carseat safety ought to be taught to parents somehow, either via leaflet or in the antenatal classes.

if they can lecture us on the whole 'back to front' and SIDS risks, then something like buckling your child safely in a vehicle capable of doing 90mph+ on a road ought to be taught to.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sun 10-Nov-13 00:15:19

Ive put links on mine. I never wear a coat in the car, for comfort reasons, so wouldnt put dd in one either.

SkullyAndBones Sun 10-Nov-13 00:15:59

seasick, i mean it wasnt necessary to google the particular story the OP mentioned, not that you shouldnt look up bulky clothes and car seat safety.

Seasick but now you've heard it from a stranger, it makes sense doesn't it? Bulky coat, looser straps, child not secure... what do you need as 'proof'? It is not remotely the same as a Nigerian scam is it?

<gives up>

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Sun 10-Nov-13 00:20:53

Anyone else really like that car seat in the winter safety videos?

Monka Sun 10-Nov-13 00:21:24

I didnt know this either. Have just bought a snowsuit for my dd but haven't used it yet, it was bought more for taking her out in her pram for walks in winter so she wouldn't get cold. But would have probably used it in the car if I hadn't read this. Thanks!

I don't think this being official advice would make a whole lot of difference to people who can't figure it out for themselves. There are plenty parents who, despite all the widely available SIDS advice, put newborns in their own room, with quilts and toys in the crib, etc etc.

KerwhizzedMyself Sun 10-Nov-13 00:23:57

It's one of those things that should be taught before parents leave the hospital with their baby in the car seat for the first time. I only knew because of a baby forum I went on and by reading my carseat booklet thoroughly. My sister, parents and SIL had no clue (and didnt believe me at first!) because its not talked about enough.

Iggity Sun 10-Nov-13 00:26:03

Does this apply as to the high backed booster seats that use the normal seat belt? Can't remember what group they are. I have my 4.5 yr old in one and I was careful about him not wearing coat when he was younger but probably don't think about it as much these days.

SkullyAndBones Sun 10-Nov-13 00:32:46

yes, its not AS important because those belts are designed to lock in a crash, but once they lock, there is still the thickness of the coat to compress so it may mean they're thrown forward slightly instead of being held in place which can mean more stress on the neck/back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now