If the C word is so bad, why is Scunthorpe spelt the way it is?

(212 Posts)
paulagil Wed 06-Nov-13 14:40:10

I piss myself laughing everytime I see it on the television weather charts.

Ha ha ho ho. Or am I just warped?

paulagil Mon 25-Nov-13 17:20:58

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just found Sandy Balls in Hampshire. It might be on here already, but... LOLOLOLOL.....

And there is Shag Rock on S Georgia (nearish to The Falklands). And who can pass by Spankers Hill Wood in Richmond Park without sniggering? Ho ho! *childish face*

Oops perhaps Somerset not Cheshire.

There's a Nunney Castle in the Cheshire area, always gave the kids a laugh when they were little.

Livinginlimbo2 Tue 12-Nov-13 22:21:42

Sounds like right bloody hole if you ask me!

On the island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, one of the larger towns is called Tampon

EldritchCleavage Tue 12-Nov-13 12:27:06

What about Quimper, in France?

Livinginlimbo2 Tue 12-Nov-13 12:25:07

My friend lives in a village called; " Willy". True, it's on Shropshire.

justamouse Tue 12-Nov-13 11:03:23

Clitheroe in Lancashire. I'd love to meet the clit heroe, that would make my day!

Thumbwitch Tue 12-Nov-13 10:41:55

YES! I have. I knew there was another hilarious name up there somewhere but couldn't remember it - thank you for posting it! grin Went along it, or saw it anyway when we visited Maleny.

PattyPuddy Tue 12-Nov-13 08:53:36

Has anyone else driven along Bald Knob Road?

www.whereis.com/qld/bald-knob/bald-knob-rd#session=MTc=

iFad Tue 12-Nov-13 08:17:53

I'm definitely looking at property in Slutshole Lane grin

iFad Tue 12-Nov-13 08:16:35
birdmomma Tue 12-Nov-13 04:44:05

There's a skiing village here in New Zealand called Whakapapa. It's pronounced fucker-papa.

StatelyAsAGalleon Tue 12-Nov-13 04:43:29

perfectstorm you beat me to Friars Entry in Oxford.

I have also had the good fortune of living close to Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount in Kent.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Fanjeaux, I the Aude region of France. It should be twinned with Mumsnet.

3littlewomen Tue 12-Nov-13 03:05:47

We have Bastardstown down the road in County Wexford, Ireland

perfectstorm Tue 12-Nov-13 02:38:27

Friar's Entry in Oxford.
Grope Lane in Shrewsbury (used to be where the brothels were, apparently?)
Lake Titicaca. I know; I should be too mature for that one to make me laugh, but no.
There's actually a place called Vagina in Russia. That's one for a postcard.

KingCrimson Tue 12-Nov-13 02:16:28

There's a place in Itay called Arsoli.

mouldyironingboard Mon 11-Nov-13 23:55:27

There's a place in Hertfordshire called Round Bush.

A street called Snatchup Alley, also in south Hertfordshire, makes me snigger when I drive past!

duchesse Mon 11-Nov-13 23:55:20

Maybe it's because it's a lane rather than a street? Maybe it's local pride? I discovered earlier that there's a narrower street than Parliament street (which to be honest could easily be mistaken for a mere gap between two large buildings <sacrilege!>) in Germany.

oldsilver Mon 11-Nov-13 23:52:26

duchesse I don't know if it is the narrowest - but it is very narrow. Probably doesn't help that there used to be (I don't know if there still is though) a chippie at one end! smile

I was just told, as a child, it was the narrowest - apologies if it isn't.

BlueMonday17 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:50:12

Wetwang, Wombwell and Blubberhouses are my holy trinity of hilarious Yorkshire place names. And before anyone shoots me down, I'm from Yorkshire, although from a more boringly-named place.

Livinginlimbo2 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:49:21

Wigwig in Shropshire. Pant in Wales.

I live near Farleigh Wallop which gets a mention in Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. I rather like it - it sounds like something from a Two Ronnies sketch.

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Mon 11-Nov-13 23:18:04

Piddletown used to make us laugh as kids

wispaxmas Mon 11-Nov-13 23:06:30

Apparently there's a town in Quebec with two exclamation marks, though: Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now