Aisles of random tat that appear in shops at Christmas....

(272 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 18:41:58

AIBU to be a bit sad about it? BHS usually excel in it, I noticed today Asda had an aisle of it.

It's all so, well, crap. sad

I wouldn't buy any of it for anyone-it looks like you went down the random Christmas tat aisle and bought the first thing you saw. Who buys it? confused

Sorry about mentioning the C word-but it's out there. sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 19:22:50

Yes-things that are useful-that's the key Phantom it took me a while to realise. It all ended up in tubs under the bed.

Hawkins Bazaar has a whole shopful of things that will be in tubs under children's beds on 26th December. sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 19:23:25

Feminine it is isn't it? Not even cheap crap.

Badvoc Mon 04-Nov-13 19:33:07

Now...you see...there are people that would like that shoe gift!
My sister loves martini, is obsessed by shoes and would use the holder for her phone.
I wouldn't buy it for her because I think it's tacky, but she would like it, that's the point.
There just be a demand for this stuff or they wouldn't make it, surely?

Badvoc Mon 04-Nov-13 19:35:14

Stockings are for tat.
My dc get choc, book, glider plane, lush bath bomb, tattoos, socks etc

It is well placed for fools who are really at their wits end wrt present shopping ...

It is amazing how common sense decreases the closer to the Christmas deadline desperate people become.

Bogeyface Mon 04-Nov-13 19:36:39

The word "mini" in anything is never good

Mini Baileys
Mini Mars Bar
Mini Muffins

Never works

Wasn't there also a beach chair phone holder??

Badvoc Mon 04-Nov-13 19:37:50

That's true....you see them in the week before Xmas, hollow eyed, clutching lists and wailing "I still need a secret Santa for work!"

mrsjay Mon 04-Nov-13 19:40:11

I once bought SIL and BIl flavoured oil and bubble bath sets from BHS they give rubbish christmas presents well they have stopped now i was fed up of buying nice ones so TATT it was grin, also i got my dad the john wayne collection one year he loved it, Tatt has its place

mrsjay Mon 04-Nov-13 19:40:54

I once got a mini baileys and truffle set from my mum I think she sort of ran in and grabbed

Badvoc you've just reminded me that I've signed up for Secret Santa in work this year! Now, what tat can I buy for that?

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 19:45:21

In B&M Bargains they have Christmas toilet roll Just. £1.49. grin

mrsjay Mon 04-Nov-13 19:47:34

my dds would love retro fanta well probably coke blush

Badvoc Mon 04-Nov-13 19:47:50

Off to bhs with you just!! smile
Perhaps one of those hilarious French maid aprons?

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 19:49:32

They probably would mrsjay and if it was a fiver it would be ok ish. but £15? For a few bottles of Fanta? angry They must think we are mugs.

mrsjay Mon 04-Nov-13 19:50:30

maybe I people would get desperate I did buy them a yard o f jaffa cakes one year

BerstieSpotts Mon 04-Nov-13 19:52:54

Why so many phone holders? Who needs a phone holder? WHAT THE CHRIST IS WRONG WITH A BEDSIDE TABLE??

LaGuardia Mon 04-Nov-13 19:53:05

I wish there was a BHS near me.

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 19:53:29

There's a yard of Chocolate Fingers and a really long Wispa I happened to see today.

mrsjay Mon 04-Nov-13 19:54:20

how long was the wispa wink

Pogosticks Mon 04-Nov-13 19:54:46

I get this stuff every year from FIL. DH and I take the kids out unshopping around new year. Taking everything back to BHS and Boots 3 for 2 and buying towels, toiletries etc with the refund vouchers. Then we have a takeaway.

It's one of our traditions - I love it because FILs partner deliberately gets us shit stuff, so taking it back and having a takeaway at their expense is the perfect passive aggressive revenge smile

specialsubject Mon 04-Nov-13 19:55:40

apparently containers of it come to us on the sea all the way from China and India. It is horrifying. So much waste from so much slave labour.

still, it makes shopping quicker as there are whole aisles of the shop that I don't have to bother with now!

Mamafratelli Mon 04-Nov-13 19:56:34

My MIL buys it for me. She buys lovely clothes for Dh. she obviously hates my guts

silverten Mon 04-Nov-13 19:58:09

This is one of the things I find really depressing about Christmas.

You start off with the desire to find a lovely gift that the recipient will like and use, and instead are confronted with aisles full of shite that will be in landfill by the end of January. Then your feeling of peace and goodwill and love towards your recipients is overtaken with the sudden awareness that this crap is just part of a massive merry-go-round of waste...

Bag humbug. Cos that is exactly what it is- total humbug on the marketer's part. Do they honestly think we don't see this for the obvious attempt to fleece us that it is?

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 20:00:06

'Merry Go round of waste' you have summed it up perfectly silver.

It was about a foot if not more mrsjay. B&M Bargains. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now