to think you are NOT weary

(107 Posts)
DontPanicMrMannering Thu 31-Oct-13 00:33:25

DH and everyone else. You are not in fact tired of something that concerns/elicits caution of you. You are WARY of it.

Ok OK? I'm right and in no way unreasonable <<crosses arms>>

oooh aye they are that'm

FestiveEdition Sun 03-Nov-13 21:22:04

Stealth - I hold up my hand to having frequent, quite irrational, response to some colloquialisms. I find them wearisome smile

Except I guess they call you the office pendant

ElephantsEye Sun 03-Nov-13 21:04:39

Had a meeting last week in which the most senior person there kept saying "gambit" instead of "gamut".

gambit = a manoeuvre which you are using to give you an advantage;
gamut = the whole range.

Quite different!

A colleague says "relative" when she means "relevant".

Both bring on my nervous tic. But them I'm well known as a the office pedant.

DuchessFanny Sun 03-Nov-13 21:02:01

Defuse/diffuse !

And my parents say to my utter annoyance 'he woofed it down'

Wolfed ! It's wolfed !!

At least she didn't say he'd "radished" his dinner grin

Festive, "shall we go to mine?" is a bit lazy/colloquial but not wrong, is it?

CustardLover Sun 03-Nov-13 20:55:53

My mother and I had a huge row last year as she told me my ds had 'ravished up' his dinner. She meant something like 'devoured ravenously' and was thoroughly offended and refused to believe me when I explained the meaning of ravished.

frogspoon Sun 03-Nov-13 20:26:18

I am weary of all these spelling and grammatical errors.

I am wary of making them myself.

FestiveEdition Sun 03-Nov-13 20:24:19

Just spotted on a thread: "reigning in"
Grrrrr.
I had forgotten how much I am irritated by the failure to understand rein/reign

FestiveEdition Sun 03-Nov-13 20:10:34

"we went to mine" "shall we go to mine" ....drive me absolutely insane.

Also HAITCH, which just makes me suicidal as half the country appear to use it.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 03-Nov-13 19:58:12

One of my tutors talks about the course's well-known alumini (pronounced 'aloo-min-eye.' He also thinks the plural of 'medium' is 'mediums.' Pretty basic knowledge for an artist, you'd think.

persimmon Sun 03-Nov-13 15:33:38

The newsreaders on local radio here say amble-ance not ambUlance. Makes them sound 6.

Kernowgal Sun 03-Nov-13 15:04:56

I think 'go toilet' is a regional thing - colleague from Devon used to say this. Made my skin crawl.

All these things annoy me too...

One that gets me is all this "popping" people expect you to do for them. Doctors and nurses are the worst for it. "Can you just pop yourself on the bench for me...that's it, now pop your top off for me"

AndHarry Sun 03-Nov-13 14:42:49

OP are you me? DH says this and it is excruciatingly annoying.

oh you are absofuckinglutely not being unreasonable.
My example is people who say 'reach'...
'oh the smell was really bad, it was making me reach'
'I wasn't sick, I was only reaching'
wtf? Do you not think retch is a real word?

"Are you married at all?"
"Completely"

that is how we need to answer
"Do you have a nectar card at all?"
"Partially"

HarryStottle Sun 03-Nov-13 10:23:17

I get irrationally annoyed with the use of "at all" at the end of a sentence when the only possible answer is yes or no. "do you have a nectar card at all?"; "are you married at all?" no, not even slightly.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Sun 03-Nov-13 09:10:41

I saw a sign in my local shopping centre asking everyone to "bear with us while ongoing car park improvements are made", but someone had cleverly crossed out "bear" and written "bare" above it in marker pen. Hahaha.

GiveItYourBestFucker Sun 03-Nov-13 09:07:08

I bet they do "he's" because they've been taught adding an apostrophe is the way to show ownership - "that coat is GiveItYourBest's" - so "he" and "he's".

GiveItYourBestFucker Sun 03-Nov-13 09:04:44

It could be worse, ducks - at least he doesn't think it's a Moo point, like Joey from Friends grin

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 03-Nov-13 08:52:28

Goand, I notice some people also do the opposite with 'he's' and 'his;' 'he put he's coat on' shock.

goandshowdaddy Sun 03-Nov-13 07:52:18

I've noticed people have started to use 'his' instead of 'he's' on the dreaded FB. I don't get it.

Also, my DH says 'volnerable' instead of 'vulnerable'. He's also guilty of 'free' instead of 'three' though - grr.

And where I live, everyone says 'was you' instead of 'were you' and 'I done' instead of 'I did'. I'm desperately trying to snap DS(5) out of these bad habits before it's too late!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now