to think you should over food and drink at a kids party?

(78 Posts)
Daddypigsgusset Sun 27-Oct-13 22:21:52

I took ds to his friends party tonight. It was in a labour club thing. No party food provided and no drinks, not even for the kids. Had to buy from the bar and some parents had brought no money. Aibu to think that a few sandwiches and a carton of juice are a given at kids party? Twas very strange :-S

ZZZenagain Sun 27-Oct-13 23:06:46

showing the cake and not serving it is is unusual IMO

Daddypigsgusset Sun 27-Oct-13 23:16:51

Dc still need feeding and watering once they hit 3 ime! wink
I feel awful gossiping but better now I know it's not me with stupidly high expectations.
Funnily enough, we went to 2 all day weddings last year and neither provided food nor drink but this felt worse as it was kids. None went thirsty I might add as those with money made sure everyone had a drink

usualsuspect Sun 27-Oct-13 23:19:21

Of course there should have been food and drink.

Even if it was just crisps and cake.

Very odd.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 27-Oct-13 23:24:34

Birthday cake is a must at a party.

Caitlin17 Sun 27-Oct-13 23:34:44

They showed but didn't share the cake? That is very odd.

I hope the birthday girl enjoyed her birthday but if her parents repeat this as she gets older it's going to seem odder and odder and the guests themselves will notice too.

CanucksoontobeinLondon Sun 27-Oct-13 23:42:42

They didn't cut the cake? What the heck? Who does that?

SenoritaViva Sun 27-Oct-13 23:54:34

The cake bit is actually hilarious!

Daddypigsgusset Mon 28-Oct-13 00:05:32

I feel really bad for the birthday girl. We haven't been to her previous parties but I did notice there was fewer kids from the class there than usual at other parties. I wonder if they always party like this, now some don't go and the poor kid will have even less friends there next year

lollilou Mon 28-Oct-13 08:00:39

Kids party = snacks,soft drinks,music/games and cake. Anything else is not a party.

Tabliope Mon 28-Oct-13 08:06:11

I went to a friend's DD twins party once and she didn't provide food apart from putting tubs of Haribo on the table. When I asked her if there was anything else she said it would be wasted on her DDs as they don't eat much so she wasn't bothering. I was shocked. You don't just think of your kids, you're hosting an event so you think of others, surely? Every party I've done I've over catered. It's not an event that happens that much so I tend to go all out. Doesn't have to be too expensive.

ILoveAFullFridge Mon 28-Oct-13 08:20:37

How can you have a party without eats? shock

Part of having fun is eating and drinking together, it's community, it's fundamental.

I would not dream of hosting people without giving them something to eat or drink.

Strumpetron Mon 28-Oct-13 08:23:22

Wow that's just shocking.

I went to my cousins daughters party this weekend. There was good for the children, and they'd also done food for the adults too, all sorts of stuff plus a pie with all the trimmings, veg potatoes etc.

givemeaclue Mon 28-Oct-13 08:25:42

Food and drink should be provided

MammaTJ Mon 28-Oct-13 08:35:27

Make sure your DC goes next year and takes a lunch box. Include cake!!

grin

I'm so naive I assumed from the thread title the op meant for the adults!
Yanbu that's really odd and the cake is even odder. So after all that time thru just showed the kids some food. That's quite out of order.

Kids party = crisps and stuff then the candle blowing then the cake is cut up and put in the party bags.

WaitMonkey Mon 28-Oct-13 08:38:43

This is so odd. I've never taken my dc to a party without food or drink. And the cake. They actually showed the cake and didn't cut it ? shock

SeaSickSal Mon 28-Oct-13 08:40:27

If the cake wasn't cut I am even more convinced that the venue told them nothing except things bought from them could be consumed.

They probably booked it all and sent the invitations out before they realized and it was too late to change and they couldn't afford bar prices. They're probably really embarrassed.

DorrisM Mon 28-Oct-13 08:40:32

Every child's party I've ever done I've ended up throwing away platefuls of sandwiches, which is galling but you still have to provide them. I did once do the cake thing, but it was by mistake and I was mortified when I realised.

Aeroaddict Mon 28-Oct-13 08:40:47

That is odd. Her parents must have the hide of a rhino not to feel very awkward in that situation. I'm no party expert, but I've never been to a kids party without food of some sort!

TwoTearsInABucket Mon 28-Oct-13 08:45:42

If that was the case seasick the party girls parents might have mentioned it to the guests.

Very weird about the cake otherwise.

JustThisOnceOrTwiceOrThrice Mon 28-Oct-13 09:08:37

That is all so weird!

You went to two all day weddings with no food?!

CombineBananaFister Mon 28-Oct-13 09:26:28

Think it's a bit rude tbh, if you expect people to take time out to come to a party and most will bring a gift , then you should at least provide refreshments.
Do you think they were just skint and didn't want their DD to miss out on a 'party'?(fair enough) Or were they being grabby and having a 'party' so she would get gifts but without actually hosting or doing owt (Unfortunately I know someone who did this)
Either way, it wasn't the little girls fault so I hope she had a good time, I imagine less guests will turn up in the future though sad

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 28-Oct-13 09:38:45

It's a bit weird. But please bare in kind that maybe the parents were skint. Perhaps family paid for the venue. I realise kids would have been hungry and thirsty but as a one off no one was going to drop dead if they had to eat at home late.

Water is free.

WooWooOwl Mon 28-Oct-13 09:49:25

Weird, and selfish behaviour from the host parents. I understand that they might not have been able to afford it, but if you cat afford to host people than don't give them an invitation!

At the very least, make it clear on the invitation that you won't be providing food and drink so that your guests can make an informed choice or be prepared to pay.

Accepting gifts at a birthday party without even offering your guests a drink is exceptionally rude.

mrsjay Mon 28-Oct-13 09:52:33

I remember taking dd1 to a party like this and it was a relatives child it was all really awkward i had money on me but some didn't no food or anything to drink only the bar int he pub was opened, it is odd isn't it . it doesn't cost a lot to make a few sandwiches put some crisps and sweets out with some juice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now