AIBU or is DH about family outings?

(66 Posts)
Mittensonkittens Thu 24-Oct-13 08:09:12

Ds (4) is on half term next week. Originally my mum and my aunt had arranged to have a day out with us. My aunt booked the day off work especially.

Then dh decided to have the week off so I told my mum and aunt we wouldn't be able to go out for the day with them because I KNEW dh wouldn't want to go. This morning dh said "we will take my parents out (PIL) for the day next week because they hardly see ds." They see him at least once a week without fail, sometimes twice. So I said "ok, but in That case will it be ok if we also see my aunt and mum for the afternoon."

And dh said (with a snappy aggressive look on his face) "I'd rather not because your mum and aunt see ds all the time." This is a lie, my mum sees him probably twice a week but my aunt - who has no children of her own and only one niece (me) and hence only one great nephew - barely ever sees him. Maybe once ever few months. She doesn't drive and lives over an hour away and still works full time so we don't see much of her. She is very very good to us and regularly sends clothes and books for ds. In fact when he was a baby she pretty well clothed him single handedly. It really pissed me off that dh was all "well I wanted a family week to ourselves." I said I can't very cancel on my mum and aunt saying was want some family time and the go out with his parents.

Aibu to think that if we're going out with his family for a day it isn't too much to see mine one afternoon? Dh rarely ever sees my family, I have to go on my own to family events, whereas I always go with him to things, always.

Fluffymonster Thu 24-Oct-13 11:42:29

It's quite odd that you feel like you had to cancel on your Mum and Aunt, just because your DH took the week off work.

It sounds like you've internalised his reactions, to the point where you tailor plans around him before he even says anything, just for an easier life.

If you would rather be rude to your relatives (your Aunt/ds don't see each other much and she had taken the day off work), and basically inconvenience four people (you, your Mum, your Aunt, your ds) over one person's behaviour - something is wrong. Does he often sabotage family outings, and time with your family?

lottiegarbanzo Thu 24-Oct-13 11:41:07

Your H sounds unpleasant - as you've said yourself.

The fact you feel the need to ask us for validation, or 'permission' to feel as you actually feel, says that there' something very wrong within your relationship, including an obvious power imbalance.

But, the fact is that you are being unreasonable, messing people about and letting them down. You cancelled the planned trip before your H had said he didn't want to go (and he hasn't even suggested that you couldn't go without him, has he?). You made that decision. You are being very, very unfair on your aunt in particular and, by limiting the relationship she has with your DS (this won't be the only instance), on him.

For your son, which is more important; a relationship with a really lovely, generous great-aunt, whose kindness and enjoyment of spending time with him will live in his memories forever, or a lesson that bullies always win and men can get their own way by intimidating women? Which of those two people would you like your son to gorw up to emulate?

Even if you feel to weak or scared to stand up for yourself, you need to find a way to stand up for your son, for the sake of his future self, his relationships and opportunities for happiness.

diddl Thu 24-Oct-13 11:20:33

Well if he gets sulky-let him sulk!

If he gets aggressive-that's a different matter.

But it's really not fair on your Aunt, is it?

Plus, if he's got a week off, plenty of time for you all to do things together!

So is the week off to stop you going?

PervCat Thu 24-Oct-13 10:54:08

why cant people just come over to yours

whats with the day out obesession

allmycats Thu 24-Oct-13 10:53:22

Just go and visit with your Mum and Aunt - GO ON JUST DO IT !!
Your DH sounds like a spolt brat.

feebeecat Thu 24-Oct-13 10:42:00

YANBU
I'm not sure why him suddenly deciding to take a week off should alter your plans? And you're just talking about one afternoon in a whole week?

It does sound like he is controlling and there is something of a power struggle going on, but it will continue until you 'stand up' to him. I don't mean a full on confrontation, but sometimes just a jaunty, 'that's fine I'm going anyway' is enough to shock them out of it and shift the balance somewhat.

Also a 'family week'?? That's a lot of time - agree some time spent apart can be a good thing too!! Might also question his definition of 'family' - that includes his, but not yours?

haverer Thu 24-Oct-13 10:39:03

You shouldn't be frightened of the person you live with. It doesn't sound like a loving supportive relationship if he's only living and supportive when you're doing exactly what he wants you to.
I would go and see your mother and aunt with your DS. With or without your DH. I would probably not go out with PIL and have a nice day to myself. There will be unpleasantness but it's usually a bad idea to back down to bullies.

ZombieBringBackAnyFucker Thu 24-Oct-13 10:38:22

Oh dear sad. Your DH would appear to be a controlling bully and to cancel on your mum & aunt - especially after your aunt had taken time off work to see you! - was exceptionally rude.

I do understand that the cancellation was much more to do with what your DH expects, rather than what you want but, really, how can he actually expect you to be that rude & hurtful to your own family? He must see that they have been very good to you & deserve a bit of respect?

While we're at it, where is his respect for your wishes?

Jolleigh Thu 24-Oct-13 10:36:00

That should have said 'behave differently', sorry!

Jolleigh Thu 24-Oct-13 10:33:06

But Sqitten the OP has said she doesn't like confrontation. This could well be part of her natural character rather than something he's conditioned her into. I know plenty of people who have headstrong and sometimes sulky partners who do occasionally change their plans or behave for an easy life.

Inertia Thu 24-Oct-13 10:31:37

You do sound frightened of him, and to be honest his behaviour sounds at least intimidating- only you know whether it crosses the line into emotionally or verbally abusive. But either way, that isn't how loving marriages work.

Aeroaddict Thu 24-Oct-13 10:30:52

YANBU OP, and it is not your "fault" that you don't like confrontation with a person who is aggressive towards you. The way your DH behaves when he doesn't get his own way sounds quite worrying to me. I hope you are OK.

thehorridestmumintheworld Thu 24-Oct-13 10:27:23

I have quite a traditional marriage partly due to my religious beliefs and I let dh make a lot of decisions partly because I am not very decisive and I am happy to let him choose a lot of things. But I still say your dh is BU. You shouldn't be scared of your dh and unwilling to talk to him, also he should be respectful of your family. As others said he doesn't have to go out with you. You have a whole week together and a day apart can be good!
As I said I have religious beliefs here and it is a personal thing, but I have found the more I feel I can be assertive and communicate freely with dh our marriage has improved and I feel happier.

DismemberedDwerf Thu 24-Oct-13 10:26:41

I'm usually a 'give the benefit of the doubt' person. Very much so. And usually I'd tend to towards Jolleigh's view but the way OP described his reactions...it sounds intimidating. I have to agree with Wibblypig. This doesn't sound like a normal healthy relationship and OP sounds frightened of him. OP, I think you need to have a serious look at your whole relationship because it sounds like there is something definitely wrong. I can't even agree with the 'you may be a bit wet' comment because it sounds like you cancelled knowing the reaction that was going to come from him; to me that has the feel of the dog that hides under the table when the master comes home. Forgive me for the clumsy analogy but it's the vibe I'm getting here.

jellyboatsandpirates Thu 24-Oct-13 10:25:22

Then dh decided to have the week off so I told my mum and aunt we wouldn't be able to go out for the day with them because I KNEW dh wouldn't want to go.

Sorry, haven't had chance to read all the replies, but ^^this. You'd made plans with your mum and aunt.
If your DH doesn't want to go, then that's up to him. I'd be going on with the day out regardless.
If he's got the whole week off, why do you have to cancel one day out with your mum as he doesn't want to go?
YABU for cancelling. I have 2 small peeps and a DH, if he didn't want to go I'd say fine, stay here, we're still off out though and we'll do something all together on one of the other days you've got off!

pictish Thu 24-Oct-13 10:14:23

Agree with the others. He's being controlling.
If my dh had a week off work and I wanted to spend one of those days with my family, he'd either come with, or wave me off with good cheer. It wouldn't be an issue.

Your dh likes to be the boss huh? Sounds like a knobber.

Squitten Thu 24-Oct-13 10:11:26

Jolleigh I would agree is the OP wasn't afraid to act on her own. He is cowing her

Squitten Thu 24-Oct-13 10:10:43

It's terrible that a) he is behaving like a brat and a bully whilst being a complete hypocrite and b) that you feel the need to modify your behaviour in order to avoid escalating things.

That sounds like very abusive behaviour from him. It also sounds like he doesn't want you to spend time with your own family.

You have much bigger problems than a day trip.

Jolleigh Thu 24-Oct-13 10:07:35

Not sure if I've missed something but it seems that the husband is getting some really extreme reactions here. Emotionally abusive? Bully? We all have a sulk from time to time. We all get angry. He's being completely unreasonable, yes, but by no means should people be jumping to conclusions about the man's whole character based on this one incident combined with the OP not liking it when he's annoyed and wanting to avoid that scenario.

colafrosties Thu 24-Oct-13 09:27:52

If you were to say you were going anyway, and just do it, how long would the "unpleasantness" last - would it be a short while and then he'd "get over it" or would it go on simmering for hours, days?

Blu Thu 24-Oct-13 09:15:35

If I was your aunt I would be really pissed off if Ihad taken a day's holiday in order to fit inb with your half term plans and then got cancelled because you give in to your DH's bullying / or I would be deeply concerned that my neice is so afraid to do something completely nirmal like keep plans made in advance.

She took a day off work!

Your H sounds like a controlling passive aggressive bully, and you are letting it happen.

This maybe because you are in an emotionally abusive relationship and he has managed to knock all the assertive stuffing out of you, or it may be that you are being a bit wet - but either way YANBU - the sequence of events you describe is not reasonable and I wonder why you even think it is?

I hope you can get some clarity and strength around this situation, OP - good luck!

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Thu 24-Oct-13 09:13:04

You shouldn't be frightened of the person you are in a relationship with.

What would happen if you said "it's one day out of the week, we're going anyway, come with us or stay home?"

Tabliope Thu 24-Oct-13 09:10:06

Then if you don't like confrontation and don't like it when his face changes and his eyes go cold accept being a doormat, sorry harsh I know but that's what it amounts to. I could never give a man that power.

StanleyLambchop Thu 24-Oct-13 09:09:25

My DH took a week off in the summer holidays- it was lovely, but unexpected. We (as in myself & DC) had already arranged a few meet ups with friends that week, so it turned out that there was only one full day that we were actually free. That was the day which we went out as a family. The rest of the time we carried on with our original plans, even though they did not include DH. He then enjoyed some time to himself at home. If he had insisted I suddenly cleared the week to make way for his week off he would have got short shrift. Your DH is being VVVU. He is somehow controlling how much access your DC have to your side of the family? No way put up with that!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 24-Oct-13 09:09:19

None of this is about fault. He sounds emotionally abusive to me and you sound frightened of him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now