Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not understand this craze for Christmas pyjamas

(72 Posts)
CaptainTripps Wed 23-Oct-13 11:45:41

Why are xmas pjs so the done thing? I have just been following the xmas eve hamper thread and it seems the two often go hand in hand.

Are they Christmas themed pjs or just general ones? And what happens to the stockpile of previous pjs? I have visions of bulging wardrobes adorned with designs of santas and sleighs from years gone by.

Does anyone go for matching pjs?

PS I am not the pyjama troll

JerseySpud Wed 23-Oct-13 11:46:54

I just buy any.

My DD's have got matching jammies (DD1 loves this) but not for Christmas Eve

I get them normal pjs. This year im getting them both onesies

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 23-Oct-13 11:48:14

We don't have Christmas jamas but me and DS have Christmas jumpers. We look good.

ZZZenagain Wed 23-Oct-13 11:48:48

we have never done this

FirstStopCafe Wed 23-Oct-13 11:49:43

We get new pyjamas at Christmas but they are not Christmas themed

freddiefrog Wed 23-Oct-13 11:50:54

Mine just get any old pyjamas, although both my children prefer onesies these days. I can't get christmas themed ones, as I couldn't bear to see them wearing them in May grin. The elves bring them while they're in the bath on Christmas Eve

As for bulging wardrobes of pyjamas, as with most of their clothes my kids grow out of them, rendering the ones from previous years somewhat redundant

Crowler Wed 23-Oct-13 11:51:01

I'll admit I love Christmas PJ's. But I don't feel like it's excessive or wasteful because they wear them from say, early Nov to mid-Jan. And, they're handed down.

I just need Xmas pictures every year in Xmas PJ's.

ScarerStratton Wed 23-Oct-13 11:51:55

We (the DDs and I) always have matching Christmas pyjamas. I used to buy them, now it's DD1's job to sort them out.

Last year we had red Nordic ones, and LittleDog had matching pyjamas too. thlgrin

Crowler Wed 23-Oct-13 11:51:58

Although I balk at more than one pair of specifically Xmas pj's (like Santa or whatever) - I aim for a more generic winter theme.

nurseneedshelp Wed 23-Oct-13 11:53:38

I always had brand new pj's as a kid on xmas eve so have carried on this tradition with my own dc!

I don't buy them xmas themed ones, just nice ones.

Never heard of the hamper thing till last week?

NoComet Wed 23-Oct-13 11:55:13

Christmas is the only time Grandparents stay over night so DDs like putting on their new PJs to show them and they do make cute photos.

jamaisjedors Wed 23-Oct-13 11:56:50

We have bought them for the last couple of years because the DS love them.

They wear them all winter and often year to year and also hand down (2DS) so I don't see the "wasteful" thing.

I draw the line at christmas pjs for myself though (got a catalogue with some in through the post today!).

MrsGarlic Wed 23-Oct-13 11:57:26

I have almost exclusively Christmas pyjamas. I wear them whenever it's cold!

2tiredtoScare Wed 23-Oct-13 12:00:03

We get new pjs for the kids every Xmas eve but they are not themed

itslikethatandthatsthewayitis Wed 23-Oct-13 12:00:19

Actually I have bought xmas pj's for the children but not christmas themed ones, they put their new pjamas on, on Xmas eve and they have a picture taken in front of tree, (holding the carrot for the reindeer and milk they are putting out for Father Christmas) If I didn't do it now I would disappoint the children as they have a better memory than me for these little routines They enjoy the new pj's and it is not like we have a stockpile as they grow out of them anyway (for dd2 it is the only new pjamas she gets as she usually has dd1 old pjamas).

This year I bought some Pjamas for dh - but it is more of a joke (and he could do with a new set) and I will give them to him on xmas eve as well, they are a bit xmassy but not ridiculously so.

itslikethatandthatsthewayitis Wed 23-Oct-13 12:03:25

pyjama or pj not pjama! blush

Mine get new pyjamas for Christmas Eve so that we have something to sprawl out in. The elasticated waists mean there's more room for chocolate and nibbles.

Milkjug Wed 23-Oct-13 12:05:56

Isn't this just a successful marketing ploy?

JudithOfThePiece Wed 23-Oct-13 12:07:59

Christmas pyjamas in this house just mean new pyjamas on Christmas Eve. My children have an annoying habit of growing during the year and one pair of new pyjamas a year, sadly, is usually required at some point. Why not Christmas Eve?

As for myself, well every year it is a marvellous opportunity to treat myself to some nice ones from White Company or some such place, and every year I realise I can't justify that expense and buy some in Sainsbo's when they have their 25% weekends.

Purplefrogshoe Wed 23-Oct-13 12:08:22

I get my DD Christmas Jammies every Christmas Eve they are delivered by the elf while she is in the bath grin

ICameOnTheJitney Wed 23-Oct-13 12:08:38

I used to have new Christmas Pjs back in the 70s so it's not a craze...the only difference is that back then they weren't covered in snowmen or whatever.

My DC have new PJs....I don't go for christmas pictures on them but do choose red or nordic style.

ILikeToClean Wed 23-Oct-13 12:11:35

Like most on here, my DDs get new pj's on Xmas eve but normal ones, not Xmas themed. It's a little tradition which my mum used to do, new slippers and pj's every year!

GhostsInSnow Wed 23-Oct-13 12:11:45

ICameOnTheJitney me too! I was born in 73, part of the fun of Christmas was that on Christmas Eve you had to have a bath (extra bubbles) and new Christmas PJ's. There are so many photos of me in my Christmas nightie or whatever I had. Great memories.

My Mum still does this with my kids, despite the fact they are 16 and 20! We've always kept the tradition, though these last few years have been lounge pants and Kigurumi's rather than traditional PJ's.

jacks365 Wed 23-Oct-13 12:12:11

Mine get new pjs but they'd need new ones anyway and no they don't have xmas designs. It started as a way of encouraging them to get to bed on xmas eve as they were excited.

MuffCakes Wed 23-Oct-13 12:12:50

I get them new pjamas but they don't have to be christmassy. I do it because they never last long in this house and always shrink and I'm very shallow and like them in nice looking ones for christmas morning fb photos ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now