To want to live in a Harem?

(57 Posts)
PeriodFeatures Sun 20-Oct-13 18:31:27

I have an 8 week old DD. Since DH has been back at work i've been having a lovely time with her, having coffees with other mums, baking, sorting through huge piles of laundry....that kind of thing.

As I am at this point in our lives, quite content with domesticity, looking after our l family and spending lots of time with other women and children I think it would be fine for him to go and find his next wife.

Once the harem is built, i can share the domestic stuff with some other women, have more children to play with and probably we could share childcare a bit so i could for instance enjoy having a poo on my own now and again.

It annoys me a bit that the British economy won't support this kind of set up. They need to pay men a lot more money to keep at least three wives and even more children.

AIBU?

wimblehorse Mon 21-Oct-13 21:48:18

YY I watched a lot of Big Love too when ds 1 was teeny. Would have loved a couple of sister wives to share the drudgery with, have some companionship, someone trusted to share childcare.

In polygamous societies, lower status males REALLY lose out as they don't get to have any wives. Women generally do better as they have a (share of a) higher status/better providing husband.

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Mon 21-Oct-13 20:33:13

No no no! Its always the eunuchs that slip you the poison!

digerd Mon 21-Oct-13 20:22:26

Yes to eunochs. Big and strong and skilled in cooking, housework and DIY, gardening and devoted. Perfect for me.

Mandy2003 Mon 21-Oct-13 20:07:20

Eunuchs, thats what we need to look after us. More eunuchs thats what I say!

everlong Mon 21-Oct-13 20:04:48

I'll just take a chef.
That's all I want.

SaggyIsHavingAPinkKitten Mon 21-Oct-13 19:29:55

The trouble is, Ive never read a trashy novel involving a harem that didnt involve back stabbing, poison, jealousy, plotring with the eunuchs and the odd bit of bumping off the first born! I dont think it would be that nice really!
And I think youd need at least 4 wives. 2 would fight, 3 could result in an unpleasant 2 on 1 ganging up scenario. 4 would at least give you some leeway for teaming up! over thinking it

Morloth Mon 21-Oct-13 07:52:01

I always thought 2 weeks is the maximum you want with any man each year.

So a different man every month woukd beabout right.

Mrsostrich Sun 20-Oct-13 23:17:29

In mine I would have it the other way round.

My other husbands would be Channing Tatum, Tom hardy, that French cook ( or I'd starve ) er... Need someone for conversation too.

My dp could look after the baby and I would bake and have lots of sex.

Morloth Sun 20-Oct-13 23:07:53

I always thought it made a lot of sense fir women to live with other women and the younger children with the men coming and going (snurk) as required.

No enforcement of rules though. Just fluid relationships and everyone getting along.

Wouldn't work though. People are people.

HerrenaHarridan Sun 20-Oct-13 23:02:13

In all of the communities I have lived in too much stuff was fairly normal as was an aldi habit.
Not all intentional communities are full of lentil weavers although there is usually at least one.

I am currently living alone with my dd and would love to move us both to another community. I miss living with other people so much its almost painful. It really can be ducking hellish though grin

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 23:00:58

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA <practises evil overlord laugh> Wait this isn't relaxing...

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 22:58:04

OK we can have Man of the Harem as long as I'm the actual rich Overlord.

I want to live in Fabsmum's harem.

Could we not arrange for the Man of the Harem to be some mid-20's lush bodybuilder with a tongue a foot long and other parts to match?

With a few spares knocking around to keep all of us happy since there wouldn't be enough of the Main Overlord to go around.

Famzilla Sun 20-Oct-13 22:56:41

I'm just impressed that you're managing to get all this baking done with a tiny baby. Bravo.

Morloth Sun 20-Oct-13 22:51:32

I like women a lot as well.

I have often suggested to DH we should get another wife.

I don't think I can adequately express his horror at this suggestion.

As he knows exactly who would be making the arrangements and he would end up with another PITA grumpy womanwho he has to keep happy. wink

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 22:35:39

I like my stone age fantasy but it doesn't have hot baths...

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 22:34:56

I do think the optimal harem is the one without an overlord. Freedom AND lazy lounging!

Fabsmum Sun 20-Oct-13 22:29:09

If the price of being on an endless 18 -30 holiday with sweetmeats thrown in was being a man's property I think I could come to terms with the slight to my feminist beliefs.

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 22:26:09

It all seems nice except being part of a man's property.
Harem without the husband and with some male servants = YY

Fabsmum Sun 20-Oct-13 22:23:47

YANBU

I'm thinking of something like this:

nice

It would have to involve massages, a leedle bit of lesbian sex, lashings of hashish, and Turkish delight on tap.

And no fecking children. They'd be off somewhere being looked after by slaves.

YoniTime Sun 20-Oct-13 22:10:48

I would love to live in a sort of hunter-gatherer community where everyone else can take care of my baby while I sleep or go hunt some bears.

But a harem? That means there is a man in charge who has you as his possessions gross no thanks.

Sindarella Sun 20-Oct-13 22:10:06

In all seriousness, my close group of friends are all single mothers, kids range from 16 to 18weeks ( thats my ds smile) My P is soon to be ExP for all sorts of reasons, he is waiting for a house before moving out.
At our 'convent' we take it in turns at each others houses, we cheer each other up, help each other out, get a break from our children so we can have a nice bath, not all together its not that kind of convent wink
Sometimes if one of us has got behind on housework or something we all join in an its done in an hour or so.

I dont know what i would do without my 'wives'

perplexedpirate Sun 20-Oct-13 22:00:39

Count me in, sounds lovely!

BananasInNegligees Sun 20-Oct-13 21:57:48

Sleeptime, that's why you need people of a similar disposition.
Logic dictates if everyone does their bit there's less for everyone to do.

You just need to find a clone really!

Also, my DH wouldn't know his ego from his elbow.
He'd probably be scared smile

Sleeptimenow Sun 20-Oct-13 21:50:48

I bet any group of women would argue lots about whose turn it is to cook and clean, especially if you don't get to choose who your DH also marries, could be complete bitches. The actual sharing thing makes me feel a bit ick, plus any DH would get such a big ego he'd be a pain in the Arse to live with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now