if I ask downstairs to stop smoking dope?

(62 Posts)
whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Wed 16-Oct-13 22:02:21

I can smell it in my living room and bedroom, where DD (5 months) is sleeping. We're fairly new in the stairwell, as are they, and don't want to get off on the wrong foot. This is the second time this week. Have noticed it before too, but I'm hoping it's not going to become a regular occurrence. They're not students but a DINKY couple. Normally I'd say they can do whatever they want in their own home, but I really don't want my home to smell as a result of that.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 17-Oct-13 18:54:50

I love that the police have been called the fuzz. grin

Makes me feel all nostalgic!

Seriously I think that having a word will not stop the problem and may cause more problems.

It's not right,and I would like it not to be the case,but that's my honest opinion.

misspontypine Thu 17-Oct-13 18:50:42

Yanbu.

I would go and politely speak to them. We had the same problem but with just cigarette smoke, passive smoking increases tge risk of sids which was a big worry of mine especially when ds was under 6 months.

If they agree to open a window/smoke in a different room take over some wine and a thank you card.

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Thu 17-Oct-13 18:48:24

Btw I am not a dope smoker but this story should suggest the likely police attitude. When the police were taking statements after our previous house was burgled I asked if they minded if I rolled and smoked a cigarette as it had been very stressful. The police officers reply was "that's fine, just make sure its not a funny one...we had someone do that the other day and it was very awkward asking them to put it out."

reelingintheyears Thu 17-Oct-13 18:24:03

I agree it's unpleasant, I wouldn't actually care about it being hash but it fucking stinks.
We have a similar problem where DD can't have her bedroom window open at times because downstairs smoke in the back bedroom underneath DDs.
During the summer it was pretty bad.
I really like them and haven't said anything but it's really strong sometimes.

BurberryQ Thu 17-Oct-13 18:07:56

A warning from the fuzz should sort them out
get real!

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Thu 17-Oct-13 18:00:58

All this talk of it being illegal isn't very relevant. The police probably won't do anything and if they do and the couple get convicted all they will get is a caution or fine and it will poison future relations with them. If you go in all guns blazing you will also lose any goodwill they may have. (Rightly or wrongly doesnt matter. When they are frying kippers in their kitchen with the windows shut and playing drum and bass while youre trying to get your dd to sleep the fact that they are unjustified will not be the thought uppermost in your mind.)

So be nice. Go down apologetically and explain that smell tends to waft upstairs. You understand that its their flat to do what they want but its getting into your baby daughters clothes and the smells tend to keep her from sleeping or agitate her (a little white lie which will harm no-one). So would they mind awfully using another part of their flat? And invite them upstairs for a glass of wine as a thank you- they will be easier in future if they like you and don't like the thought of making life difficult for you.

IHaveA Thu 17-Oct-13 17:45:41

YANBU weed stinks sad

I would let them know that you can smell it and that you would be grateful if they would do something about it. I would also try and find out how the smell is getting into your flat. Next time they light up get sniffing...

WorraLiberty Thu 17-Oct-13 17:38:54

*weed

WorraLiberty Thu 17-Oct-13 17:38:22

YANBU - I'd speak to them. It is dope after all therefore not legal. If they're shirty you can always give your local police station a call and tell them there's illegal drug related activity going on ( don't say which drug...). A warning from the fuzz should sort them out...

Really?

Do you honestly think the Police wouldn't think to ask what sort of drug and how she knows?

Then she'll have to tell them she can smell week being smoked...and we're back to the point being repeatedly made on this thread - that it may be illegal, but there's bugger all the Police can/will do about someone smoking a spliff inside their own home.

MrsFlorrick Thu 17-Oct-13 17:30:35

If they are smoking, could you politely ask them to spark up in a different part of their flat and explain its so your DD is away from the fumes. Most smokers would do that. They may even be embarrassed that you can smell it.

Fishfingersandwich9 Thu 17-Oct-13 17:26:20

I expect the couple do not realise the smell is carrying into your flat so think you should politely knock on their door and tell them that you smell it in your daughters room and can they smoke in a different room or outside. I don't think any reasonable person would deliberately let smoke travel into a child's room. If they are completely unreasonable then invest in some febreeze air freshener!

Objection Thu 17-Oct-13 16:40:31

YANBU. Weed is incredibly antisocial. It stinks.

ColderThanAWitchsTitty Thu 17-Oct-13 16:35:47

Of course you would not be unreasonable, it's just polite.

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Thu 17-Oct-13 14:48:06

YANBU. It's a criminal offence.

artyone Thu 17-Oct-13 14:18:26

I would ask them to do something about it. I would be just as upset if it was cigarette smoke making it's way into my house/flat etc and I had a baby in there. I would also see what you can do about it, maybe get a draft excluder for the front door if it's coming in that way?

YANBU, second hand smoke is not nice.

Enb76 Thu 17-Oct-13 14:17:45

I had neighbours who did this, I politely asked them if they minded smoking in another room as the smell wafted in to my daughter's bedroom. They were incredibly apologetic and I never smelt them again. Most people are perfectly reasonable.

boardcreche Thu 17-Oct-13 14:11:32

YANBU - I'd speak to them. It is dope after all therefore not legal. If they're shirty you can always give your local police station a call and tell them there's illegal drug related activity going on ( don't say which drug...). A warning from the fuzz should sort them out...

Beastofburden Thu 17-Oct-13 13:59:11

Can you afford double glazing? noise, smells, etc- its all going to bug you if things are so close together.

BurberryQ Thu 17-Oct-13 13:37:28

yes well that is the Met, KellyElly, rural police forces such as this one have great fun busting people for .2 of a gram on the say so of their neighbours,,,,,

Thants Thu 17-Oct-13 13:36:54

Yanbu op. I'm not anti drugs but drug use should not affect other people! I think you should speak to them. Is it a rental property? If so tell the landlord.

KellyElly Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:36

The police won't do a thing. When a friend of mine was caught with some weed, the police gave him a caution and advised him to smoke it in his own home as opposed to Regents Park in future grin

DropYourSword Thu 17-Oct-13 11:48:11

Go and join them when they have a smoke, soon enough you won't give a shit about the smell and will just want to eat your body weight in munchies!

BenNJerry Thu 17-Oct-13 11:46:27

Although TBH, you can ask and if they do say no, there isn't a lot you can do.

Nancy66 Thu 17-Oct-13 11:45:13

There's no harm in approaching them in a friendly way and ask if it would be possible to smoke with their windows open to disperse the smell a little.

BenNJerry Thu 17-Oct-13 11:44:34

There's a big difference between cooking smells and the smell of dope. Cooking isn't harmful - dope is. I wouldn't want my baby subjected to the smell of dope either. It is illegal, not to mention anti-social. I don't think YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now