To think this schools policy on prescribed medicines is wrong?

(135 Posts)
ForrinForrinerFromForrinLand Thu 10-Oct-13 18:24:34

I just wondered weather there is a standard rule about this for all primary schools?

DN has just started school in. He suffers from severe asthma, its especially bad in winter months to the point where he has hospital stays monthly. His school initially requested that an inhaler was taken in. However after a little probing it seems they haven't been giving it to him. He's very wheezy. When asked the teacher responded by saying that he didn't request it. They expected a 4 yr old to prompt them every 4 hours for an inhaler! And now the school is saying they won't be responsible for ensuring the inhaler is regularly given to DN.

Now I'm a little shocked as I assumed schools had a duty of care. And certainly had to have plans in place for children who needed prescribed medication during the school day.

Altinkum Fri 11-Oct-13 07:58:42

Sizry my comment wasn't aimed at you, however since to mentioned it, see my above post, I can talk to my son about his condition till I'm blue in the face, but at 4 years of age, he is still a baby, in terms of his ability to understand, physically and emotionally, as well as deveplomentally.

Personally too going by him and his understanding of the word around him, he's just dosent "get" that he needs them, no matter how much we try, we have the asthma sticker chart currently, to show his consultant how much he's needing it, he still dosent get it, but at 4 it's not a big deal, because ll of us adults remind him, be that us, grandparents and his teachers, who really do take his condition seriously, but then thy have had to phone a ambulance for him, in full attack.

Sirzy Fri 11-Oct-13 08:01:45

But you are trying to encourage that understanding even though he has additional needs. From what the op has said they don't seem to even be doing that with him (of course that may not be the case)

Altinkum Fri 11-Oct-13 08:08:39

But in fairness to the OP, she hasn't mentioned about his understanding if his condition, only that he needs it every 4 hours and that the school is refusing to do so, based on the fact he hasn't asked for it.

Both of these are wrong, and life threatening to a child with chronic asthma. As a asthma nurse (I think that's what you said) is just wrong and is putting the child at massive risk.

At the end if the day the child is 4, tell me off a child who is aware if time?

SilverApples Fri 11-Oct-13 08:09:12

He needs an individual care plan so that the responsibility for his welfare lies with a named adult. IMO, the school is being negligent, he needs medication to be supported and supervised until he is ready to self-medicate independently.
So, meeting with SENCO can be arranged through the school, your sister can contact the school nurse independently, ask for her support and she can train the relevant staff 9(CT, TA and a MDS as a minimum) To ensure that they are aware of the signs and can be pro-active about his safety and care.
The current state of affairs isn't OK, or acceptable. Someone needs to be pointing this out firmly and clearly to the management and the CT.

SilverApples Fri 11-Oct-13 08:11:34

School nurses are usually fantastic at getting teaching staff to see the reality of what needs to be done and the potentially fatal consequences if not.

Sirzy Fri 11-Oct-13 08:11:56

Like I said that is why I would link it to lunch time, most 4 year olds can understand to have lunch then ask for it or ask as he goes to pick up his lunch box - even if at first mum needs to put a picture of his inhaler on the lunch box to remind him!

School should do it but if they can find a way to make it part of the routine all around then that has to be best for everyone!

Altinkum Fri 11-Oct-13 08:16:07

Actually completly agree with you their and will be something I may use, if ds goes onto packed lunches.

ForrinForrinerFromForrinLand Fri 11-Oct-13 09:49:34

Altinkum thank you. As I keep saying at 4 DN is a young 4 iykwim. His speech isn't particularly clear and unless you knew him well he'd be hard to understand. I completely understand that some posters here have ch

ForrinForrinerFromForrinLand Fri 11-Oct-13 09:51:34

Sorry meant to say some posters have children with severe asthma. I don't think it's been helpful making sweeping comments about the needs of a 4yr old asthmatic without knowing about this childs needs/ condition in particular.

Sirzy Fri 11-Oct-13 10:12:35

That is all I have been saying (perhaps badly) altkin.

With children with asthma (and I assume other medical conditions) it is so helpful for the child to learn to manage it from a young age - with support and prompts of course. A child of school age is soon going to be invited to friends houses to play and to parties and things so getting that little bit of "independent" control is useful for them to be able to carry on as normal without being held back by their asthma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now