to ask what 'processed/pre-made' food other people actually feed their young DC?

(136 Posts)
Thurlow Sun 06-Oct-13 10:50:06

Just curious really. 20mo DC currently still eats well <frantically touches wood and prays this lasts a little longer> and we've been able to keep snacks still as oatcakes, veg sticks, that sort of thing. But I'm a pretty crap cook, so the meals aren't lovingly homemade stews or that. Yesterday she had supermarket filled pasta and sauce, few extra veg packaged food other parents actually do feed their young DC. Especially as often you come across threads where squash/chips/chicken dippers are considered the foods of the devil grin

Off the top of my head, we feed the toddler:
Fish fingers
Baked beans
Pre-filled pasta
Pasta sauces from jars (does that count?)
Very occasional microwave baby ready meal
Fishcakes
Quiche
Processed meats like haslet, cheaper sandwich ham etc

What pre-made or processed food do you feed your DC?

<dons semi-hard hat for 'bad food' flaming...>

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 07-Oct-13 21:26:33

Ahem, wholemeal toast of course.

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 07-Oct-13 21:26:03

Lastnight after reading this, mine had spaghetti hoops on toast! grin they were over the moon. They also had cubes of cheese, slices of cucumber and lots of cherry tomatoes, oh and strawberries for pudding. Bad balanced out by good! wink

IShallCallYouSquishy Mon 07-Oct-13 17:47:38

DD didn't have beans on toast for dinner. Oh no. Not at all wink

lifeinthefastlane1 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:41:34

these threads make me lol, I feed my DD food of the devil all the time, yes thats right all the time, I cant cook and shes a faddy eater, if she didnt eat FF, beans, scrambled egg and other convenience food she wouldnt eat at all, BTW I have two grown up children who happily survived my terrible kitchen and convenience foods with no adverse reactions at all! give yourselves a break as long as they are alive, not overweight and functioning fairly well, you're doing ok, its not worth the bloody hassle and stress if its not something you normally do, guess what ? we are having hotdogs for tea grin) (must admit glad DD is now staying school dinners makes me feel less terrible mother re-food lol)

MummyPig24 Mon 07-Oct-13 16:13:35

I'm not going to worry about a few processed foods in what is an essentially Healthy diet. It's about balance and being sensible, not being militant and banning all sorts of things.

SoupDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 15:30:31

obviously you can do the same thing with 2 children and have two different outcomes

And it is "luck" as to what sort of eater you get. Obviously "luck" doesn't exist as an actual thing but as a concept.

LordElpuss Mon 07-Oct-13 14:56:31

Would a life without chocolate, Eve's pudding etc be rather ... meh (for want of a better word)?

Chunderella Mon 07-Oct-13 14:46:26

Baked beans have many positives but they do also contain a lot of salt. You can get low salt, but as well as being less tasty I'm not very keen on low salt, low sugar, low fat stuff. Too often the manufacturers just put worse crap in to replace what they take out! But ultimately, children need minimal salt not zero salt, so there's room for baked beans in a healthy diet.

Interested to read the posts from people who have taken the big leap and banned crap from the house entirely. DH and I have been toying with this but we don't think we have the willpower! It's going to become an issue soon though.

JRmumma Mon 07-Oct-13 14:37:25

Just wondering how you define a processed food? You could include almost everything you buy in a supermarket. Someone will come along in a minute and say they wouldn't dream of buying food from a ghastly supermarket though.

Some people's definition of cooking from scratch is a packet of mince plus a jar of pasta sauce is a home made spag bol (and one of my friends even classes a pizza from the chiller rather than the freezer as fresh food!).

Honestly people, lets chill out. Obviously we should be trying to limit salt and sugar intake, and get plenty of fruit and veg into our kids. But other than that, if we do our best and have a relatively good diet ourselves then they will survive!

LordElpuss Mon 07-Oct-13 14:00:49

Ignore 'em, Randall. I have the nicest natured daughter on earth thanks to my superior parenting and she refuses to eat anything other than a very basic, processed diet. I'm not happy about it but doctor has told me not to worry. She is very sporty and I think it will all sort itself out at some point.

Rowanred Mon 07-Oct-13 13:30:11

Yes I think it balances out. I think baked beans are actually quite healthy are they not? I don't buy them because I don't like them!

Shop bought sauces are normally really high in salt- pasta ones are easily replicated in 20 mins with a can of chopped tomatoes and curry based ones you just need a tin of coconut milk with a little curry paste. I make really spicy curry but just put 2 spoons of yogurt in dd's to make it milder!

Thurlow Mon 07-Oct-13 13:12:06

Rowanred, yes, very much I just don't buy stuff at home I don't want her to eat. That's what we do. Obviously I'm in the great conglomerate of people giving their kids 'crap' to eat (wink) some mealtimes, but I just don't have cake, crisps, any bicuits bar malted milk (and those only for an emergency, really) in the house as it's easier. So you weigh off one 'bad' thing with another.

You can kind of see from this thread that people are doing that. Some posters seem to have healthier meals than I might make, but allow more snacks. Both seem perfectly normal to me.

Rowanred Mon 07-Oct-13 13:07:08

Dd has cooked meats ( I do roast a ham myself but buy chorizo and pre-sliced turkey).
An occasional m&s baby ready meal.
And bread- all sorts

I don't think she has anything else processed. I won't let her have anything breaded ( like fish fingers or chicken nuggets) as I think it puts them off the taste of real food.

I make pasta sauce myself. Although actually thinking , she does have pesto from a jar occasionally too!

And she does have cake/ chocolate sometimes if we're meeting friends. And if we are at a restaurant or someone else's house I dont care what she has. I just don't buy stuff at home I don't want her to eat.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 07-Oct-13 13:00:59

obviously you can do the same thing with 2 children and have two different outcomes,but not in extremes.

Really? Gosh, you'd better start getting that message out to the masses because it seems like an awful lot of people don't realise that and have forced their children to have different personalities.

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 07-Oct-13 12:58:20

No. You're absolutely right.

The fact that my DS has food issues is totally down to me. Please excuse me whilst I self-flagellate.

(There's always a couple who feel the need to rock up on this kind of thread isn't there)

ringaringarosy Mon 07-Oct-13 12:55:37

obviously you can do the same thing with 2 children and have two different outcomes,but not in extremes.

And i say this as someone who has 4 and does give processed foods,daily,i dont see how you can avoid it,espescially when you are counting things like bread as processed,i mean i know bread is a processed food as it doesnt grow on trees does it smile but when someone says processed to me i think fish fingers,crisps etc.

ringaringarosy Mon 07-Oct-13 12:52:41

theres no such thing as luck!!!!!!!

I will admit DD doesn't have the best diet. She is amazingly fussy but I keep offering her things. She point blank refuses fresh fruit and I have to hide vegetables. She's also gone right off meat (DH jokingly says I've been secretly influencing her - I'm vegetarian) She is nearly 3 and ate a bit of cooked carrot yesterday...I'm so pleased!!

Just goes to show though that parenting isn't the only influence on diet as me and DH are both really good cooks and we eat a really good diet. DD just won't try things. My tactic is to not make a big deal and keep offering her stuff...I can't force her to eat things, and I don't want to make meal-times a battle.

She even bit a strawberry the other week...she spat it straight out, but just getting her to TRY something is a revelation.

She loves things like fish-fingers and chips, so I try and make that as healthy as I can and just keep offering her healthier things as well.

Thurlow Mon 07-Oct-13 12:06:17

I think it's mostly luck too.

Obviously it helps if you a) introduce a wide variety of foods, tastes and textures, b) if you limit the amount of high sugar, fat or salt foods (because most people are going to prefer them!) and c) if you're able to vaguely win any battle of wills over whether your child will eat what's in front of them.

But much of it is going to be simply down to your child's personal tastes and preferences.

Sirzy Mon 07-Oct-13 11:20:51

I can't honestly see what is wrong with most of these foods

me either, and I think most parents feel the same.

Its all about balance and overall diet.

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 07-Oct-13 11:17:53

It is very much down to luck and personality type!

BrightSunshineyDay Mon 07-Oct-13 09:44:19

I think a lot of it is down to luck. I have 3 DC. All are given the same meals, snacks etc. One DC is incredibly picky and would survive on toast if it was down to him, one DC will eat the perfect diet, the other DC changes his tastes on a say to day basis.

ringaringarosy Mon 07-Oct-13 09:23:33

i find with first children you are more fussy about what they eat,dc1 didnt have any chocolate or crisps or anything like that til he was 3,the others were 2 and 1 by then and they were the same,but dc4 is 1 on wednesday and ha salready had ice cream,pombears and chocolate buttons!His older siblings give them t him and tbh i dont really mind,he eats really well the rest of the time.

ringaringarosy Mon 07-Oct-13 09:20:08

i actually find with mine the more strong the flavours are the more they like it,we dont really eat anything bland.

I disagree that having good eaters is down to luck,nothing is down to luck.

SamHamwidge Mon 07-Oct-13 09:01:43

I can't honestly see what is wrong with most of these foods! Esp things like fishcakes. Chips are just potatoes and oil (I know you have to watch salt)

I think if I let her DD 23 months would happily drink coffee too, she always wants a bit if I am having one same with red wine but I have only literally let her have 1drop off my finger

It's a myth they only like bland foods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now