Pedestrians

(289 Posts)
MardyBra Thu 03-Oct-13 23:29:18

Please do not "nip in front" of my car as I am pulling out of a junction.
Oh, and a quick cheeky cross of the road just as the lights are changing and I've been waiting for ages isn't great either.

I don't want to kill you.

I know I'll be flamed as an imperialist gas-guzzling car driver even though my business couldn't function with a car but some of you have been getting on my tits this week.

limitedperiodonly Mon 07-Oct-13 12:24:05

DH hit a woman who had crossed his half of the road and was waiting in the middle for the traffic to pass.

As he drove past, she stepped back into his car. She was seriously hurt.

There was an investigation and he wasn't charged because it was her fault. It didn't make him feel any better though. He doesn't blame her because we've all done it, and she was punished enough.

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 07-Oct-13 11:09:20

Bodicea do you acknowledge every driver who stops for you at a give-way line or entry to a roundabout when you have priority?

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 07-Oct-13 10:59:14

Afaik there is no requirement for pedestrians to read the Highway Code and I suspect most of them haven't. Same could be said for cyclists probably. grin

Drivers are in charge of heavy, fast, potentially lethal machines. I do think therefore drivers have a responsibility to other users regardless of whether its their right to carry on reversing or not. As a driver it boils my piss when I'm reversing and people keep on jumping off the pavement and walking behind my car. But I creep along slowly, stopping where necessary to ensure I don't hit anyone. Even though I feel like winding the window down and asking them if they have a death wish. smile

Maybe if I hit someone I'd be able to defend myself saying I was reversing and they shouldn't have walked out behind me when I'd started reversing. Maybe the police would agree it wasn't my fault. But that wouldn't make me feel any better if someone was Hurt.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 10:40:29

Maybe Rule 1 of the Highway Code, applicable to everyone on roads and pavements should be:

'You must behave with courtesy and consideration for other users of the road/pavement at all times'.

UptheChimney Sun 06-Oct-13 17:06:36

I'd take 'never' cross behind a reversing vehicle to be a bit like look both ways before crossing the road or never stick your fingers in plug sockets

Well quite.

I wouldn't read that extract from the HC as stating that it is illegal for pedestrians to walk behind a reversing car. It's common sense not to, but it doesn't say that the car has right of way. As I have always understood it (and confirmed by police officers I've spoken to about this) a pedestrian has right of way.

Mainly because a car can do so much more damage. Common sense as well as the Highway Code.

AnneTwacky Sun 06-Oct-13 13:36:05

I think IamMiranda's posts have been taken entirely the wrong way. She was just saying we all have to take some responsibility for our own safety.
She wasn't saying that cyclists and motorists don't have an obligation to give way to pedestrians on the road but if someone was distracted or not concentrating the outcome would be worse for the pedestrian so we still need to be aware when crossing.
I don't believe that there's one particular group of road users who are inherently worse than the others but there are times when people aren't paying attention or think they can get away with not doing what they know they should. Which is why every one of us needs to put being careful above our right of way.

insancerre Sun 06-Oct-13 13:07:11

if it was the law for pedestrians then it would say you must never , wouldn't it?

WMittens Sun 06-Oct-13 13:04:31

FrightRider

There is no 'should' or 'must' to argue about. It quite clearly states 'NEVER'

Never does not mean carry on walking behind a reversing vehicle. it means dont do it.

I know, but if you read the introduction to the HC, the legal requirements are identified by "Must" or "Must Not" - so there is no legal requirement for pedestrians to comply.

limitedperiodonly Sun 06-Oct-13 12:40:04

I'd take 'never' cross behind a reversing vehicle to be a bit like look both ways before crossing the road or never stick your fingers in plug sockets.

More intended as sensible advice than punishable by law if you get it wrong.

FrightRider Sun 06-Oct-13 12:21:02

and it still doesn't excuse the fact that inabeautifulplace called me a cunt for pointing it out.

FrightRider Sun 06-Oct-13 12:16:36

mittens, the only one 'should' came into it was the one about cyclists riding two abreast around a corner.

Point 15 only says

##############

Rules for pedestrians (1 to 35)
2. Crossing the road (7 to 17)

Reversing vehicles. Never cross behind a vehicle which is reversing, showing white reversing lights or sounding a warning.

###############

There is no 'should' or 'must' to argue about. It quite clearly states 'NEVER'

Never does not mean carry on walking behind a reversing vehicle. it means dont do it.

We did see them sometimes, WMittens - though not often, I must admit!

WMittens Sun 06-Oct-13 12:03:57

then perhaps people shouldn't go around calling me a cunt for pointing out what the highway code actually states.

Knowing what the HC says is one thing, knowing the specific meanings of "should" and "MUST" when used in the HC is another. Only entries with "MUST" are legally enforceable; other wordings may be used to establish liability, but are not mandatory.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 06-Oct-13 12:02:16

The mum of the three kids looks like an MNetter.

If you do this and are in Edinburgh please stop it as one of your kids will hit someone one day and get hurt themselves too.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 06-Oct-13 12:01:00

I don't often wave to thank drivers at the zebra crossing near work as I am too busy checking for cyclists who tend to whizz over it and almost hit me (one has once and one nearly has)

That's if I am not busy trying to avoid the three children aged about 3 5 and 7 that their mum lets cycle full speed along the pavement every bloody morning way ahead of her.

Sorry cyclists..you are mostly decent but I live and work near quite a.few inconsiderate ones.

Im sure most of you are lovely though.

BringBackBod Sun 06-Oct-13 12:00:42

Wow. There's so much love on this thread between motorists and pedestrians isn't there smile

I'm a pedestrian, and like to think that I'm pretty careful. some roads can be tricky to negotiate though, and that's where the problems usually happen.
It can be quite daunting crossing a road sometimes. Most of us just want to do it safely.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 06-Oct-13 11:47:58

I don't like it when drivers flash their lights to say 'thank you' - weirdly enough, I prefer not being dazzled. I know they mean well but it often not a great idea.

A quick blip of the lights as they're driving past is nice, but the ones who go at their full beams like they're operating a lighthouse; THANKS FOR BLINDING ME.

FrightRider Sun 06-Oct-13 11:33:20

and if you dont like me being rude, then perhaps people shouldn't go around calling me a cunt for pointing out what the highway code actually states.

we all have to be considerate, but people on this thread seem to think that being on foot gives them divine right to act like arseholes.

I am not an arsehole driver, i have never managed to run anyone over by accident or on purpose.

It doesn't however change the fact the highway code quite clearly backs up my opinion that i expressed in the second post on this thread that pedestrians shouldn't walk behind a reversing vehicle.

FrightRider Sun 06-Oct-13 11:28:42

Yes i did chimney. You'd know if i was being polite.

WMittens Sun 06-Oct-13 11:23:44

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

And did you?

See another one, I mean wink

"VW bettle drivers used to do this as they waved to each other, so do camper vans and motorhomes - they wave to each other, cyclists say good morning or good afternoon or nod a head if peddling up hill and out of breath."

When I was about 9, my dad got a Moskvich (a Russian car) - and we all had to wave if we saw another Moskvich!

limitedperiodonly Sun 06-Oct-13 08:18:42

I'm no lawyer but I've got a funny feeling that if a pedestrian got in the way of your car and you had time to stop but mowed them down anyway, they might be in hospital but you'd be in court. Love.

UptheChimney Sun 06-Oct-13 08:10:35

Do you mean to be so rude, FrightRider ?

sashh Sun 06-Oct-13 06:28:43

VW bettle drivers used to do this as they waved to each other, so do camper vans and motorhomes - they wave to each other, cyclists say good morning or good afternoon or nod a head if peddling up hill and out of breath.

And motorcyclists

PatPig Sun 06-Oct-13 01:49:06

actually pedestrians don't 'legally' have any obligations at all.

there are no laws.

cars OTOH, can be done on all kinds of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now