AIBU to think this was worst dinner guest ever

(227 Posts)
AlleyAlleyO Thu 03-Oct-13 16:42:59

DP's friend C came round last night for dinner, with his new girlfriend, F. We have only met her briefly, in the pub.

We invited them over last night, I did a slow-cooked pork and apple thing, with blackberry tart and whipped cream for dessert.

Initially I'd done the whole 'we're having this for dinner, hope that's OK' and C had gone 'ooh lovely', no objections from F.

When I served dinner, she just sort of looked at her plate and said 'actually, I'm a bit fussy. I'll have a bit of the sauce though, and a slice of bread to dip in'.

Cue apologies from me, are you sure that's all you'll eat etc. She maintained it was fine, she'd just have a bit of bread. I was pissed off, but whatever.

I brought her the bread and continued my own dinner. Two minutes later, F asks if there is any butter as she now doesn't want to dip the bread in sauce, she just wants bread and butter.

I go and get her the butter. She eats bread and butter.

Long story short (C looking embarrassed, DP shocked, me fuming) when dessert comes out, she seems pleased and asks what kind of tart it is. i say blackberry. She says she's sorry, but she doesn't eat anything picked from the wild.

I ask her does can I get her anything else, she ends up eating mini jammie dodgers from the biscuit barrel. They leave soon after.

I am still not over the shock and have told DP she's never coming round for dinner again- or if she does, I'm not counting her in grin

phantomnamechanger Thu 03-Oct-13 17:49:36

I googled it, sounds lovely!

becsbornunderadancingstar Thu 03-Oct-13 17:49:50

Ha - I think he'd have eaten that phantomnamechanger - it was a bit like this

phantomnamechanger Thu 03-Oct-13 17:50:49

oooh yummy!

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 03-Oct-13 17:51:36

If she ate the jammy dodgers surly the jam is made from strawberries which grow in the wild.

expatinscotland Thu 03-Oct-13 17:52:55

Why on Earth did everyone sit round and let him eat the pastry? FFS! 'Hey, what are you doing?! Paws off! The rest of us like pastry, too. If you don't like what's being served here, why don't you leave and go to a restaurant?'

And yes, I'd have said this to another guest.

Makqueen2 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:56:41

If someone nicked my share of pastry there would be a bloodbath.

becsbornunderadancingstar Thu 03-Oct-13 17:57:11

I wish you'd been there expat. We all sat there going shock like a bunch of guppies. I wasn't with DH at the time. He'd have said something. No-one would dare touch DH's pastry.

PlatinumStart Thu 03-Oct-13 17:58:24

I'm not sure why you took it so personally TBH

I love food, will pretty much eat anything and love cooking and whilst I'd be a little disappointed if a guest just wanted bread and butter I can't imagine being vitriolic

I went to a dinner party where a guest had emailed the host a list of food he didn't eat. It included seafood and pasta in cream sauce. The host cooked an entirely separate meal for him, which he then didn't eat and asked for a helping of what everyone else was having - creamy pasta.

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 18:04:44

Arf at 'plasticarian'

AveryJessup Thu 03-Oct-13 18:05:09

Why did she think the blackberries were necessarily picked from the wild? You could well have picked up a punnet of them in Sainsbury's for all she knows - would that have been more acceptable?

Could she have been sick maybe? That's the only time I could imagine wanting to eat bland stuff like bread and butter and biscuits and my stomach turning over at the thought of anything else. Maybe she was too embarrassed to say as she doesn't know you that well. A stomach bug would explain why she accepted a dinner invitation too but then didn't want to eat anything.

IceCreamForCrow Thu 03-Oct-13 18:05:40

ROFL at 'she doesn't eat anything picked from the wild' grin That's brilliant! At that point she would have been a valued guest at ours for sheer enterainment value alone.

Tbh I've given up on picky people like that. You asked if the food was ok, she said yes.

If she wants to play up all over the meal I'dve ignored it. She is ill mannered and that's her problem. And I wouldn't have even offered the jammy dodgers.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 03-Oct-13 18:06:32

That's terrific. I do think there's something numbing about VERY bad manners though, in that everyone else sort of waits for the rude-ee to realise they are being a dick of gigantic proportions, and by the time you clock that they have no idea, it's too late and the moment to say "OIIIIII, PASTRY TWAT!" has sadly passed.

YouTheCat Thu 03-Oct-13 18:06:55

If I had a stomach bug I'd be politely declining and not wanting to pass it on.

becsbornunderadancingstar Thu 03-Oct-13 18:14:17

ROFL ElephantsAndMiasmas That's EXACTLY what it was. And now I want to track him down on Facebook and just send the message: "OIIIIII, PASTRY TWAT!" Even though that moment actually passed fifteen years ago a while back.

Tavv Thu 03-Oct-13 18:15:47

Is she pregnant and not wanting to eat certain foods?

AveryJessup Thu 03-Oct-13 18:16:06

I mean she might have been recovering from one You

I'm feeling very charitable towards humankind today grin

Bahhhhhumbug Thu 03-Oct-13 18:17:18

We once went out for Sunday lunch and it ended up being a pub crawl round every place that served Sunday lunch within a five mile radius of our house before we finally sat down at about the tenth place we had looked at the menu. The reason ? My adult pampered SS who lived with us and he just eliminated every menu outside these places one by one. DH just got back in the car with him in every car park (I stopped bothering getting out of car after first few !) and said 'No , nothing there that SSsname likes' and off we drove to another.
He doesn't like Sunday lunch basically so why oh why bother coming along and dragging us round like that
l made sure never to agree to Sunday lunch out again with SS with us . OP l feel your pain , you did tell them both in advance what you were having , tbh she sounds a bit PA to me , a bit like a wind up - as others have said she could well soon be an ex.

littleblackno Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:50

I have a friend who's like this but she's pretty open about it and probably just wouldn't have come for dinner for fear of appearing rude (it's her issue and she knows its an issue iyswim).
Your guest was just rude!

My pork and apple thing is half pork, half sausages (both naice from butcher), sliced leeks, diced onions, stock, a slug of apple juice or cider, and a spoonful of grainy mustard. Leave in low oven for blinking ages, serve with mashed potato and a couple of sweet ish crunchy ish vegetables such as peas and carrots.

Oops, forgot bad guest story.

Shared student house, one of whom has a birthday. I am cooking. Associated other halves are invited by default, but one girlfriend says no she's going home.

Only she doesn't. She huffs round the kitchen sneering at everything and generally getting in the way. She was still there when I dished up, but instead of making herself scarce at long last or going "ooh go on then can I try a tiny bit, she insisted her boyfriend get up from his dinner to make her something else.

They split up not long afterwards. He runs a foodie import business now. And she can still FTFO.

MrsHoratioNelson Thu 03-Oct-13 18:38:16

Now you see I really don't like fruit in savoury dishes and I particularly dislike pork and apple, but I wouldn't dream of saying anything and I would have eaten it all, made nice comments about how delicious it was and turned down seconds

I recently went for dinner with friends who had clearly gone to a lot of trouble on a meal that unfortunately won full house on my food dislike bingo card I'm not fussy honest we got home and DH looked at me and expressed admiration that I was able to eat it all and not let on that I really didn't enjoy it that much. It's just polite not to turn your nose up at food unless you have a genuine allergy/intolerance or dietary requirements as a point of principle. I always ask guests if there's anything they don't eat and try to be accommodating but I wouldn't say to someone "oh no, I don't like xyz".

Actually, I do say that I really won't eat coleslaw, but that's usually easy to avoid smile

ICameOnTheJitney Thu 03-Oct-13 18:40:03

I wonder if she has an eating disorder. When I was about 20 I did and I went to my boyfriend's friend's home and he'd done this lovely dinner...with the help of his fiancee...all meat and veg and done on the BBQ and I ate....NOTHING. blush

I was ill. I couldn't help it and nor could I see that it was thoughtless of me.

Other times I would ask for a peanut butter sandwich if I was really stuck...I ate one peanut butter sandwich about every 4 days and that was all.

nomorecrumbs Thu 03-Oct-13 18:42:36

lol nothing picked from the wild!! what a knob.

ObamasElfWithAOuijaBoard Thu 03-Oct-13 18:47:36

Is she a fruitarian like the woman in 'Notting Hill' who will only eat fruit that has fallen from the tree naturally?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now