To complain about this online order?

(235 Posts)
Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 17:18:40

I ordered my daughter a dolls house today from an on-line shop (well known). I thought it sounded like a brilliant deal - £70 and included in the description
" Features:
There are 4 themes of furniture supplied with this dolls house - bedroom furniture, living room furniture, bathroom furniture and dining room furniture. These can be arranged into multiple configurations so your child can have a new dollhouse each time they play with it."

Now, was I wrong to read this as that it comes with the furniture? It says 'supplied with this dolls house' in the above, which surely can only mean one thing?

I received it today and no furniture and looking on line I see they are charging £24 extra for the furniture and dolls for the house as a separate item.

I have put in a complaint as I feel the language is very misleading and have asked for what is stated as included, as far as I can see, on the original description. AIBU?

Shlurpbop Mon 30-Sep-13 17:20:16

I would have expected furniture from that description.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 30-Sep-13 17:22:34

You're right, the description states the furniture is supplied, not available to buy. Give 'em hell grin

Coolmama Mon 30-Sep-13 17:23:58

They will probably come back and say that "supplied with" means available to buy and is not the same as "included" - but I do think it's a bit sneaky not to make the extra cost of the furniture more clear.

Amy106 Mon 30-Sep-13 17:30:08

You are not unreasonable. I would have expected the furniture included from that description.

Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 17:30:39

Thank you. I will actually send it back if they refuse. I'll confirm it is built, so will have to be sold on as seconds wink

Who on earth writes these descriptions? I am hoping it is a genuine error and not a deliberate ploy <fiddles with her waning hope in commercial humankind>

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 30-Sep-13 17:35:32

If they'd said 'available with' it would have been completely different. But they said 'supplied with'. That means just what it says in the tin. Absolutely no room for misinterpretation. Insist on getting your furniture, and threaten with trading standards.

GhostsInSnow Mon 30-Sep-13 17:35:49

Is this is? OP. Take screenshots because I suspect that will be changed soon.

You should certainly expect the furniture to come with it! Even in the specifications its doesn't say it's not included.

Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 17:44:00

Yes, I didn't want to name and shame, but that is the one!

Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 17:48:38

I suppose now the floodgates will open; happy Christmas, one and all! wink grin

Wabbitty Mon 30-Sep-13 17:51:29

Wow it seems that it's only £25 for one theme of furniture so in order to fill the house you would be spending another £100

ScarerAndFuck Mon 30-Sep-13 17:53:16

I'd have thought the same as you OP.

Supplied with to me means that the furniture is supplied with the house.

On looking at the furniture it seems you also have to buy it in two sets, so that's an extra £50 in all. The specifications for the furniture say:

"Accessories Include: First set includes: 2 adults and 2 children, dining room, bedroom, bathroom and living room. Second set includes: 2 adults and 2 children, living room, bedroom and kitchen."

So it seems you have to buy the dolls and living room twice, and possibly the bedroom as well, just to get the bathroom and kitchen.

Definitely do as Juice suggests and take a screen shot of the house description and specifications pages.

And make sure you get both sets of furniture sent if you argue the case that they should supply it all as promised in their description.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Mon 30-Sep-13 17:54:36

I could furnish my hoose cheaper! Yanbu, they are!

bundaberg Mon 30-Sep-13 17:55:02

def screenshot it. if it says supplied with then it should be supplied with it! not available separately!

bundaberg Mon 30-Sep-13 17:55:32

it doesn't say anywhere that you have to buy it separately, and it's listed as a feature of the product you bought!!!

Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 17:57:09

Thank you everyone. I've tried snipping tool but can't get the whole page. Any ideas on taking a screenshot on a laptop that doesn't have a print screen button?

When I saw the furniture as separate today my heart sank as I realised the cost. Would have been cheaper from GLTC! and nicer colours

Lioninthesun Mon 30-Sep-13 18:00:59

Oh, no GLTC was nearly £200 for full set <faints> but at least the inside has some colour and everything isn't pink and purple. I think I will be using those paint samples on the furniture if it comes through!

QueenStromba Mon 30-Sep-13 18:02:17

cmt + shift +3 if it's a macbook

QueenStromba Mon 30-Sep-13 18:02:42

Sorry, that should be cmd + shift + 3.

jacks365 Mon 30-Sep-13 18:03:20

Ring trading standards and get their view on it before you return it and then quote them when you speak to customer services. Wouldn't mind betting that they'll quickly offer the furniture in this instance.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 30-Sep-13 18:13:34

make sure you write a scathing review as well!

Just so you know, I bought dd an almost identical one from Asda living last December, it was half price so house + furniture for around £50! Keep an eye out.

Before Christmas I should add, not in the Jan sales

Birnamwood Mon 30-Sep-13 18:50:24

I've managed to screen shot the page if you want me to Emil it to you?

Jbck Mon 30-Sep-13 18:50:42

I'm happy to take a screenshot on PC and pm you if it'd help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now