AIBU to expect teachers to strike in the school holidays and not in term time.

(237 Posts)
NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 30-Sep-13 15:32:20

Well am I?

Considering that teachers are always insisting that they work during the school holidays, how come they never strike during the school holidays and always wait until term time to do so?

Odd that!

HumphreyCobbler Mon 30-Sep-13 15:33:13

not odd at all really

Sirzy Mon 30-Sep-13 15:33:52

The idea of a strike is it causes disruption. What disruption would a strike in holiday time cause?

HumphreyCobbler Mon 30-Sep-13 15:33:56

seeing as I don't get paid for working in the holidays, striking would be er, taking my holiday..

nickelbabe Mon 30-Sep-13 15:34:13

YABU

the whole point of a strike is that it causes the most inconvenience possible to make the point.

wtf would be the point of striking when there's no one around to notice?

NotYoMomma Mon 30-Sep-13 15:34:23

ah oyfcc, it's only your childrens education and the erosion of their entire profession they are fighting for

BuskersCat Mon 30-Sep-13 15:34:29

Yes of course you are.

The whole point of a strike is to cause disruption, to get noticed, and maximum coverage, do you think anyone would care that the teachers were striking during the holidays? Do you think they'd be given any airtime?

sparklekitty Mon 30-Sep-13 15:35:05

Wouldn't really have the same impact though would it! The idea of of a strike is that it causes disruption

thebody Mon 30-Sep-13 15:35:11

well it would really negate the reason for the strike wouldn't it.

not really rocket science opconfused

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 30-Sep-13 15:36:32

Hmmm, didn't realise a strike was to cause disruption. Thought it was to get more money. Don't see how disrupting parents does that tbh.

Spikeytree Mon 30-Sep-13 15:37:44

Be fair to the OP, if she can't work out the problem with this for herself, she was obviously badly let down by the educational establishment in her younger days.

Ihatemytoes Mon 30-Sep-13 15:37:45

Well, now you know OP........

Trills Mon 30-Sep-13 15:38:52

The point of a strike is to get attention (and therefore get higher pay, or whatever it is you are after) by causing disruption.

giveitago Mon 30-Sep-13 15:41:08

Well, they're not going to strike in the school holidays, are they.

Sirzy Mon 30-Sep-13 15:41:24

Hmmm, didn't realise a strike was to cause disruption. Thought it was to get more money. Don't see how disrupting parents does that tbh

The point is to get themselves listen to and the problems taken notice of (which is about more than just money anyway)

If they went on strike during holidays how exactly would they get their cause noticed?

spritesoright Mon 30-Sep-13 15:42:18

YABU. Why don't you take some time to consider their very real complaints instead of just whinging about them on mumsnet?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 30-Sep-13 15:43:01

Yeah but the people it is targeting are not the people who are in a position to give them a pay rise - I'd give them one if I could

thebody Mon 30-Sep-13 15:43:02

'you didn't realise a strike was about disruption'

really! anyway as a parent I support the teachers here.

BoundandRebound Mon 30-Sep-13 15:43:31

Hahahaha

Haha

That's just ridiculous

Spikeytree Mon 30-Sep-13 15:44:47

We aren't striking for more money.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 30-Sep-13 15:45:11

But they don't tell parents why they are striking, they just tell them they are

gobbynorthernbird Mon 30-Sep-13 15:46:43

Read a sodding newspaper then.

MadeOfStarDust Mon 30-Sep-13 15:46:52

TBH it would get a lot of bloomin attention - and a load of applause (and support) from parents if they did strike in the holidays just once.

how very superior of some posters as always

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 30-Sep-13 15:47:03

Spikeytree, that's the point I was trying to make. What are you striking for and why do parents not get told the reason for the strike? Maybe they'd be more understanding then, although plenty of mumsnetters are understanding obviously by the response to this post.

Coolmama Mon 30-Sep-13 15:47:19

if not striking for more money, what then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now