To have found this headteacher a bit rude?

(23 Posts)
cory Fri 27-Sep-13 07:03:25

If the displays were too low for me to read comfortably in a secondary school, I'd wonder if knee pads were part of the school uniform. grin

Seconday school children= adult sized. And getting taller with every generation.

Dayshiftdoris Thu 26-Sep-13 23:38:11

The HT I saw today on my first ever secondary open evening seemed very lovely

The SENCO was shock at description of my sons needs & his statement... They made it clear they were not the right school and ushered me out the door hmm

I'd have preferred an unfriendly head

elcranko Thu 26-Sep-13 23:32:07

I'd be a bit put off too. YANBU.

cats could you put displays below the rail? That's what I would do.

KittiesInsane Thu 26-Sep-13 19:59:08

Most secondary school children are taller than I am anyway.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 26-Sep-13 19:54:48

Cats I'm not sure why that would be impossible hmm

topicofaffairs Thu 26-Sep-13 11:51:32

It was the complete opposite of the other open day we went to too.

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:47:06

One of the reasons we chose my dc school was the lovely way the head had whilst walking us through the reception area. The tiny year 2 and reception children were holding the doors open for us and he knew all their names and had a lovely manner with them.

edam Thu 26-Sep-13 11:18:30

Thanks letsface, not a huge issue for the secondary school we are going to see this evening then - but I'll look out for it in the Year 7 areas. Interesting, though, had never thought about it but now realise ds's primary does put displays low enough for children to see.

valiumredhead Thu 26-Sep-13 08:25:15

I would find that rude and the complete opposite of my experience of a recent open day.

Catsnotrats Thu 26-Sep-13 06:55:51

Letsface - it's not always the case! I work in a Victorian building and a lot of our display boards are at adult height or higher because a lot of the walls have a sort of a dado rail type arrangement (which is part of the wall structure so can't be removed). We'd much rather have them lower but unfortunately it's impossible!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 26-Sep-13 06:33:47

Displays in corridors need to be at children's eye level - not so high up that only adults would have a cat's chance of reading them. It kind of says - these are for the benefit of the kids, which is a good indicator imo. it's a little thing that says a lot.

bsc Wed 25-Sep-13 23:29:46

Height of displays? Do you mean that if they're out of the way of the pupils there are behaviour problems??? Or a rich area because all the pupils are so tall?

WHereabouts in the country (roughly) is this? Warn us, please! grin

topicofaffairs Wed 25-Sep-13 23:17:59

Yes edam, she walked past me, dd and a couple of pupils showing us the way and I smiled at her and dd said hello and she didn't even smile back!

hmc Wed 25-Sep-13 23:13:45

I'd find that off putting too

edam Wed 25-Sep-13 23:13:35

Do you mean she didn't even acknowledge you or the pupils? Seems a bit off.

Letsface, what do you mean about the height of displays? Am going to an open evening tomorrow, would love to know what I should be looking for!

BackforGood Wed 25-Sep-13 23:12:47

I suspect you must have been at my dds' school then. wink
However, the rest of the staff don't follow her example, fortunately.

Lilacroses Wed 25-Sep-13 23:06:05

Yes very rude. I don't care how busy you are you can smile at people and say "hi". It takes about a second and gives the impression that you actually know and like the pupils and that you welcome new people. It wouldn't put me off a secondary school though if the school in general was good and the other teachers were friendly.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Wed 25-Sep-13 23:04:14

Go with your gut when choosing schools. They can have the shiniest new facilities in the world but it needs to feel right. The height of the displays is a good indicator for me.

topicofaffairs Wed 25-Sep-13 23:00:28

I didn't expect her to chat just a smile or hello as she walked past.

frogspoon Wed 25-Sep-13 22:55:15

She may have been rude, or she may have just been exceptionally busy as it was open day.

I think she should have at least smiled at you, dd and pupils, even if she didn't have time to properly stop and chat.

topicofaffairs Wed 25-Sep-13 22:39:08

I would also say 7/10 teachers made no effort to acknowledge parents either or engage with the children with the activities which were out.

Yet the three who did were amazing and the facilities were good too.

topicofaffairs Wed 25-Sep-13 22:36:05

Been on a secondary open day for year 6 head didn't make herself available after talk but wasn't fussed, however while on school tour she walked past us twice and didn't acknowledge the pupils showing us around or me and dd. Aibu pfb?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now