About husband 'smoking' an e cigarette in the house?

(231 Posts)
Bejeena Fri 20-Sep-13 16:56:16

Title says it all really! I have told my husband countless times that I am not happy with him smoking his e cigarette in the house? He says ok but then continues to do so when I am either in bed or out.

A bit of background, we have an 8 week old baby and my husband stopped smoking when we found out I was pregnant and I was rather proud of him (he didn't tell me he had quit until he was 90 days without a cigarette)

He never smoked normal cigarettes in the house before and I don't see why he should smoke this electronic one inside either.

His argument is that it is just water vapour!

I should add he is a great man and a fab Dad, I can't fault him on most things, apart from this.

Beastofburden Wed 25-Sep-13 16:20:43

I really hate the smell of smoke, at the time and on people's clothes. I tihnk eCigs are the best thing ever and I am completely delighted to think there is something that might work to help lots and lots of smokers become vaporisers instead grin.

In your shoes I would be over the moon that he has done so well not that i would have married a smoker to start with and if I did there would be no babies as he wouldnt get any sex and I would only stipulate that he mustnt ever vaporise where the DC can see him do it. Assume he will feel the same way- presumably he wishes now he never started and will want his PFB not to make the same mistake?

I think you are being over-protective which is normal with a new baby, but it is in this case a big mistake, as I agree with all those who say going ourdoors will drive him back to real fags.

nbee84 Wed 25-Sep-13 20:18:04

Well done Katy and Rachel - it's good, innit grin

If you can manage 2 weeks without smoking a cigarette (which I found easy) if you then have one, or a drag from someone else's be warned that it will taste rank! I did this and it was like tipping a dirty old ashtray full of butts into my mouth - just the memory of it makes my stomach turn! I can't believe I smoked the things for nearly 30 years.

mrssmith79 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:54:52

I quit fifteen weeks ago by using a battery powered atomiser (looks like a magic wand). Best thing I ever did. Feeling the benefits in spades in both my purse and my health. I've already stepped down 2 strengths with the aim being to be vaping nic-free liquid by the new year (zero harmful chemicals, about as dangerous as standing in the shower or near a kettle).
FWIW the Cherry menthol and Aniseed are my current favourites.
The initial outlay was around £40 with one bottle of liquid a week costing £4.99. Compared to £70 a week on cigarettes i'm quids in!

Let the ill-informed squawk away I say. Their opinions matter not one jot to me.

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 26-Sep-13 21:52:40

This morning, just out of curiosity, I smoked a ciggie. It tasted as gross as ever (not worse than it did, but I never thought they tasted good.) I will say that the feel of it in my hand was familiarly nice. But it wasn't enjoyable, so I stubbed it out after only a couple of puffs.

I think it's likely I'll bum one outside a pub some night, and if I got stuck without my vape, I would maybe smoke... but I don't really think I'll smoke again.

Unless these things are made illegal and I backslide some years down the line.

Beastofburden Thu 26-Sep-13 22:04:36

Well done Katy!

jay4wayne Wed 08-Jan-14 22:34:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now