To want dh to take the day off work or

(34 Posts)
CuriosityCola Fri 20-Sep-13 08:09:46

at least try and reduce his hours.

I have two kids under two. The youngest is only a couple of months old. I have struggled all last week with what I thought was just a cold. I now have Sinusitis and the makings of a chest infection. He has been working 12 hour days. Today after very little sleep he just looked at me and said,' shame we don't have any options'. Then seemed surprised that I wanted to cancel my birthday celebrations tomorrow night.

Fully prepared to be told I'm being unreasonable. What does everyone else do when they are unwell and have no help?

Tailtwister Fri 20-Sep-13 09:59:28

You have my sympathy, it's awful when you're ill and have young children to look after.

YANBU to want help from your DH. Can he take some holiday? DH has had to do the same for me when I've been ill on a couple of occasions. Once I was vomiting non stop and couldn't actually move from the bathroom floor. The second I had a dreadful virus and couldn't get out of bed.

YouTheCat Fri 20-Sep-13 10:00:51

Right, this is just me trying to advise how to get through today. Go and get the immunisation done. Pick up a few things food wise, to get you through the day and then do an online shop (if possible) for the rest to arrive tomorrow. Snuggle the kids up and try to do as little as possible.

Don't forget to stock up on paracetamol/lemsips (or whatever helps you feel better).

Yes, your dp should step up and you'd probably feel a whole lot better for a day in bed but I know that is sometimes not doable.

Hope you're feeling much better soon.

HoleyGhost Fri 20-Sep-13 10:07:23

Could dh sort out emergency childcare (nursery or Nanny) while you recover?

Shellywelly1973 Fri 20-Sep-13 11:38:19

My Dp has never taken a day off when I've been ill. 14 years & 3 dc so there have been plenty of days i needed help.

What he doesn't understand is that i now resent him for that. He's a selfish twit!

Right now Im carrying him due to family
circumstances, financially, emotionially, house, dc etc. i know he wouldn't do the same for me.

Shellywelly1973 Fri 20-Sep-13 11:39:28

Sorry my point is, look after yourself. You are the only person, you can rely on!

CuriosityCola Fri 20-Sep-13 13:16:30

Managed to make it to the shops and buy in some essentials (cake!). The dc are both being high maintenance. Can't decide if its because I have no patience or if they are getting sick too. I have bought in a healthy dinner as we just had take-away last night.

My babysitter is working today. Only 6 hours until the kids bedtime.

CuriosityCola Fri 20-Sep-13 13:17:13

'Shelly' resentment is a horrible thing isn't it?

onlytheonce Fri 20-Sep-13 13:48:18

He has responsibilities other than to his work - his wife and children! And as pointed out, his work cannot say no if he needs to take time off due to an emergency. Sounds to me like he doesn't want to, which is kinda understandable - looking after a sick partner and kids isn't much fun - but incredibly selfish.

CuriosityCola Fri 20-Sep-13 17:14:23

Dh has come home earlier than usual I now have my pjs on and a lemsip in hand.

It's made me think about how vulnerable I am as a stay at home mum though. Vulnerable probably isn't the right word, but I need a contingency plan for similar circumstances in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now