...to really dislike the things that Shona Sibary writes

(88 Posts)
mynameismskane Thu 19-Sep-13 11:35:55

Her latest 'effort'
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2424643/I-know-little-girls-young-school-I-need-bit-time-says-SHONA-SIBARY.html

It is NOT about the fact her 4 year old has started school, if I had had an August baby I would have probably sent them to school too. It's her smug writing - and the fact that in an earlier article she spoke about giving her kids medication when they go on a plane to knock them out.

Really don't like the way she writes about things.

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 18:32:32

Well done. There is the odd one that I wonder how the writer got it past the editors. The MoS is a tiny tad less bigoted than the DM.

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 18:29:50

I did actually feel quite good about writing about the situation of young people with learning disabilities who have nowhere to move on to at 18+. Like I say, it was a remarkably liberal-lefty piece!

grin

I sneaked it in...

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 17:15:24

motherinferior you might not be as rich but do you feel better about yourself when you are not writing for them ? grin

Twitterqueen Wed 25-Sep-13 16:29:56

She's prostituting her children and her family - earning money on the back of their characters, problems, wants and needs.

I think she is truly awful and I feel so sorry for her poor children.

Pawprint Wed 25-Sep-13 16:25:31

Ok, just read that she slaps her daughter. Nice. I take it all back about enjoying her stupid articles. She can fuck RIGHT OFF. Stupid bitch.

Pawprint Wed 25-Sep-13 16:07:28

She writes to get attention but then isn't that why people write for rags like the DM anyway? And the money, of course.

I've read some of her articles and have enjoyed one or two. The rest I have found either totally egocentric or just a bit dull. I'm not really interested in her family or what they are up to.

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 13:57:32

Now, however, I'm returning to a feature that is a rather more usual rate...

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 13:55:47

I actually have written for the Fail, for the mag that is: I got away with some remarkably lefty-liberal stuff, in fact. And yes, the money was terrific.

WhatHo Wed 25-Sep-13 13:53:36

TheHammaconda If you were prepared to take pics of your plastic surgery and knocked-up daughter, and you could bear to become the laughing stock of the nation, then hell YES DM would love that story.

TheHammaconda Wed 25-Sep-13 13:40:20

£1,000 you say. I might run up an article explaining how I encouraged my teenage daughter to get pregnant by an eastern european migrant in order to live a life of luxury on benefits and how I had plastic surgery on the NHS so I could fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a Cherie Blair lookalike. Do you think the Mail would take it?

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 11:59:22

Yes greythorne it is toxic.

WhatHo I think the Fail is a particularly lucrative one for freelancers to break into. Hence the desperation evident in Sibary's ramblings.

WhatHo Wed 25-Sep-13 10:29:32

Greythorne definitely. She must run it past her DH at the very least.

And the money is bloody good. If anyone's interested, most magazines pay £150-£450 (rumour has it a new travel magazine is paying 3p a word, so that's about £25-£40 a feature. Free holiday though!) Therefore £1,000 plus for some guff you can run up in a couple of hours is a no-brainer. If you're prepared to sell your soul...

BlackbeltinBS Wed 25-Sep-13 09:59:14

I think Shona is a sock puppet for Liz Jones. The more you read of Shona's stuff (and Lucy Cavendish and Katie Hopkins), the more you like Liz Jones because at least she's not selling her children at the same time, she's just insane.

BeCool Wed 25-Sep-13 09:49:50

Sam it bothers me more that intelligent women are reading this crap, and feeding the machine that despises them so much.

SamHamwidge Wed 25-Sep-13 09:16:35

The thing that gets me most of all is that these awful women get a platform time and time again for their drivel (if I see Kate Hopkins one more time I will go feral) whereas intelligent women who really have something to say struggle to get their voices heard.

Fecklessdizzy Wed 25-Sep-13 09:01:58

I think all these AIBU threads about Have-you-seen-such-and-such's-article-OMG-what-a-cow are planted by the DM to up their hit quota.

LondonNinja Wed 25-Sep-13 08:47:56

*examples, bloody phone

LondonNinja Wed 25-Sep-13 08:47:32

I hated that article - poor kids. That is not journalism, btw.

However, it does make me smile when people say they don't read a word of Sibary's, or the DM, and then cite exsnples of its awfulness.

BeaLola Wed 25-Sep-13 08:36:39

I dont bother to read any of her stuff if I come across it as its all me me me and I cant believe all these things have actually happened to her.
Regardless of her poor writing poor children.

hackmum Wed 25-Sep-13 07:49:19

I assume the way she works is that writing about her family is her "patch", in the way that other people see health or education or whatever as their patch. So if there's a news hook (report says children shouldn't go to school young, politician says we shouldn't smack our kids etc) she devises a story about her family to fit. The story doesn't have to be 100% true. I think in that sense her attitude is purely pragmatic.

I don't know if her children share her surname, but it worries me that in 5 or 10 years when they're applying for jobs or uni, prospective employers will google them and come across this stuff. Because once it's up there, it doesn't go away. It's very hard on her children - they are not really of an age where they can make a sensible decision about whether to consent to appearing in these articles. The four-year old with a dummy particularly made me wince.

Greythorne Wed 25-Sep-13 07:34:02

Wow
That judgybitch site is seriously toxic

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Tue 24-Sep-13 12:38:21

Judgybitch.com is a the blog I mentioned above that got into a spat with her:

judgybitch.com/2013/02/08/call-the-waaaaaah-mbulance-shona-sibary-doesnt-like-judgybitch-boo-fucking-hoo/

I don't like quite a bit of what they say but the shona posts and her comments make for more interesting reading than anything she usually writes.

TheHammaconda Tue 24-Sep-13 12:18:42

What's judgybitch Something?

SomethingOnce Tue 24-Sep-13 08:45:04

I'm not a fan of Sibary's writing, but I assume these threads are started, or at least heavily contributed to, by the charmer(s) at judgybitch, who seem to have an unhealthy fixation.

Greythorne Tue 24-Sep-13 07:36:30

I think she writes controversial drivel to make money, good money.

I think her DH and children are 'in' on it, in the sense that she says, 'darling, I have to write that sex has never been good since you watched me give birth, they're offering 30p a word, it'll have to be a corker, so I am going to go to town with how revolted you were by seeing the placenta and how you felt physically sick the next time I tried to jump you' and 'sweetie, I am going to write that potty training you was the most disgusting experience of my life and that next time I will pay a nanny to do your little siblings, but it's not true, my love, but we'll be able to go to the Italian lakes on holiday with the cash, won't that be lovely'

None if her articles are even consistent. It's just controversial make believe and she and her DH are in it together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now