To not get why people hate Dubai so much?

(1001 Posts)
Cutitup Mon 16-Sep-13 22:18:45

What is there to hate?

I think it's a great place to have a holiday. Great restaurants, great service, fab shopping and spa treatments.

I do understand the problems of domestic and construction staff being exploited but this is not a problem unique to Dubai. I just don't get the vitriol, the 'it has no culture' etc.. I say get out of the bitter farm and play with the hay!

NoComet Mon 16-Sep-13 22:20:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

What Star said

LifeofPo Mon 16-Sep-13 22:21:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoComet Mon 16-Sep-13 22:21:37

Living in the country and having to drive everywhere and having oil heating they get far too much money off me already.

MinnieBar Mon 16-Sep-13 22:21:47

I hate the fact that people can't see beyond 'but it's a good place to shop'...

Ragwort Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:11

I have never been there but from what I have heard (my DH travels there for work) it just would not appeal to me, I really, really am not into shopping & spa treatments. It sounds to me like a 'Steptford wives' sort of place, totally plastic and false. It is also incredibly expensive.

However, everyone has different tastes, I am sure you would hate my idea of a good holiday. grin

I know you can get servants to bring you stuff whenever you want and treat you like royalty. Who wouldnt want that.

sooperdooper Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:54

I'm with mini, I don't get going on h

caramelwaffle Mon 16-Sep-13 22:23:09

Some places are built, and run, on slavery.

LifeofPo Mon 16-Sep-13 22:23:36

tethersend Mon 16-Sep-13 22:23:43

I hear Chernobyl is lovely at this time of year.

sooperdooper Mon 16-Sep-13 22:23:49

I don't get going on holiday to shop in big shopping malls, I can do that at home, sounds soulless and boring

FreudiansSlipper Mon 16-Sep-13 22:25:08

i have never been anywhere else where there is such a divide. the wealth there is incredible the attitude and treatment of migrant workers is appalling

i like more culture when i go away its like las vegas without the fun

MyLovelyMayoMammy Mon 16-Sep-13 22:25:25

Whoa. Calm down Phoebe. who wouldn't be caught dead there grin

Lj8893 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:25:57

I've never been there but it really doesn't appeal to me.

I like to go to places with some interesting history and culture.

I'm a massive fan of shopping on holiday but not the shopping scene Dubai appears to have.

SizzleSazz Mon 16-Sep-13 22:25:57

I didn't like the focus on shopping and spending, driving everywhere and the construction workers shuffling along in blue sack cloths. Oh. and I couldn't go on the beach on certain days because I am female hmm

Not my idea of a relaxing holiday when I can have fresh air, nature and a break from consumerism

Cutitup Mon 16-Sep-13 22:26:47

I can see beyond the bling of Dubai. If you actually go into the Creek area, you see all the old trading traditions are still in place and it's culturally quite fascinating. It is not a moral vacuum. For that, you have to go to Saudi.

eurochick Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:24

It's an environmental abomination, it's a cultural vacuum and the society is fundamentally sexist. These are not things that appeal to me in a holiday destination.

LadyLancaster Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:44

WilsonFrickett Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:48

Shopping, slavery and sexism. What's not to like eh, op?

MinnieBar Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:49

Never mind that women have few rights - and that by going there on holiday you're condoning and supporting that - as long as you get a bargain eh?

expatinscotland Mon 16-Sep-13 22:28:10

What Freudian said.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 16-Sep-13 22:28:35

I am a designer whore but I draw the line at Dubai. Dubai is not getting my money for all the reasons mentioned above.

AnyFucker Mon 16-Sep-13 22:29:15

Op, you sound a bit, erm, shallow

This thread is not accepting new messages.