to think this class system only exists on MN?

(309 Posts)
GildedWingsOfGrace Fri 13-Sep-13 20:00:38

All the time I hear "middle class" bashing on here.

Or "working class" guilt. Only on MN.

I wouldn't have a clue what class I am or what class my friends are, or the people I work with are.

It doesn't even occur to me, and I never hear it mentioned in day to day life confused

Rufus43 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:37:52

I would say that it doesn't affect my life if I was middle class though wouldn't I

greenbananas Fri 13-Sep-13 20:37:57

bsc grin glad it's not just me!

usualsuspect Fri 13-Sep-13 20:38:17

Only the MC care about class.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 13-Sep-13 20:38:28

there is far more bashing of the wc than mc on here

i find many are desperate to show they are so mc

who really cares, well many on here obviously do

but sadly many people do judge what class you are from by what you wear, say, how you talk, where you go on holiday and even if you have your tv hanging on the wall hmm

GildedWingsOfGrace Fri 13-Sep-13 20:39:45

What other classes are there apart from working and middle?

In terms of Titanic would working class be steerage?

FreudiansSlipper Fri 13-Sep-13 20:41:33

It's irritating when "middle class" and "middle income" are used interchangeably too.

Why?

LittleBearPad Fri 13-Sep-13 20:41:41

There's a whole gamut of classes

Upper, middle and working being the main ones but there are subdivisions in them. Ie Upper middle / lower middle etc.

GildedWingsOfGrace Fri 13-Sep-13 20:41:43

i find many are desperate to show they are so mc

I am obsessed with the amount of midle class people who try to convince people they are working class when they are not.

When it comes to class MN just straight out confuses me confused

LittleBearPad Fri 13-Sep-13 20:42:15

Because class and income are not the same thing.

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 13-Sep-13 20:43:13

If you meet a wide variety of people daily, as I do, you would soon become aware of "class". It is definitely not restricted to MN.

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 13-Sep-13 20:43:53

LittleBear - exactly

FreudiansSlipper Fri 13-Sep-13 20:49:38

yes i am well aware of that

but what i do not understand is why it is irritating to someone

TheUglyFuckling Fri 13-Sep-13 20:52:26

Social class should never be confused with income. Perish the thought.

Because of a complicated family background and a convoluted education I have lived and observed both sides of the WC/MC divide.

On the whole living a MC life is much nicer.

Rufus43 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:04:40

But can you move round from class to class? It seems to be mc people saying my dad was wc and when I started out in life I was wc so I am wc til I die

And although its not related to money most people seem to equate being mc to the type/amount of stuff you own or money you earn (husbands in some cases)

Seaweedy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:12:22

What Mercibucket and ThumbsDown said. I think you'd need to be seriously blinkered not to see the workings of class in the day to day way this society functions. I say that as someone not from the UK.

i do agree with whoever said up the thread that Mn focuses on 'reading' the details of class and class aspiration rather than larger class structures or politics. The baby names forum is particularly interesting for that. There's a thread currently discussing whether or not Megan is a 'chavvy' name.

HalooJones Fri 13-Sep-13 21:33:26

Most people that think they are middle class are really working class.

kaosak Fri 13-Sep-13 22:52:39

Amazed that you could be British and not be aware of class and whereabouts you fit in for better or for worse.

It's everything from the newspaper you read, where and how you take your holidays, which supermarket you shop at, which schools you care to go to, where you buy your clothes blah blah.

I think you need to feel comfortable wherever you fit in within that class structure, aspiring to be something you are not is never going to feel great I wouldn't have thought.

DuelingFanjo Fri 13-Sep-13 22:54:59

Hallo, funny I would say the opposite is true. People seem desperate to be working class when they are clearly ot. They think because their father or grandfather worked in a shop or the mines it means they are still working class.

kaosak Fri 13-Sep-13 23:00:14

Yes I agree Dueling, it's more street innit. I blame Call Me Dave grin!

usualsuspect Fri 13-Sep-13 23:01:23

Posters on MN are desperate to be seen as MC.

"I am astonished you have no idea what class you are if you are British / English. Even if you don't consider it day to day.

Because I don't care enough to know. How will it affect my life?"

I don't care about/believe in astrology, and don't think it could possibly affect my life; but I still know what star sign I am.

Prambo Sat 14-Sep-13 00:33:18

I only became class-conscious when I joined mumsnet and I am ashamed to say I am now sneery of those who are middle class.

DuelingFanjo Sat 14-Sep-13 00:48:25

I suspect there's a huge misunderstanding of what middle class is!

Lazysuzanne Sat 14-Sep-13 01:07:04

class is about social and economic status, it's not rigidly and absolutely definable.

Lazysuzanne Sat 14-Sep-13 01:16:52

as for who is middle class and who is working class, different people/groups will use different criteria according to their purposes.

We are multi dimensional and tend not to slot easily into clearly defined categories.

Thats not to say that class doesnt exist, clearly we live in a very unequal society.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now