AIBU to ask you all the boycot Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the musical

(67 Posts)
vestandknickers Fri 13-Sep-13 19:29:50

Until the prices come down enough for me to take my family?

I'd love to take my children. They'd adore it, but even the tickets up on the roof behind a pillar are £25 a pop and if we actually wanted to be able to see anything on the stage we'd have to pay about £50 each. As a family of five, that's the sort of money we normally budget for a few nights away and I just can't justify it.

So, if you could all please not buy tickets so that the ticket office would panic and reduce their prices I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance.

BackforGood Mon 16-Sep-13 23:39:36

You speak for yourself Mimi - that's a whopping great hole in our budget shock

I really like the theatre, and try to go about 4 or 5 times a year. Generally I go at the beginning of the week, and, 9 times out of 10, the theatre is 1/4 full or less. I'd have thought everybody would gain by the prices being more realistic - more people get to love theatre, and the cast get to play to a full house. I know this is a bit of a tangent as something like Matilda probably does manage to sell it's tickets, but it applies to most of the shows I go to. (Not in London)

LIZS Mon 16-Sep-13 21:16:54

They are offering seats from £27.90 - trouble is finding a performance with any available hmm

Mimishimi Mon 16-Sep-13 21:14:06

YABU. Actors, sets, costumes, prop staff have to be paid for. Where else would all that come from except through tickets. I do agree though, that they should set ticket prices at a point where they will make more money through volume sold then expecting that the masses will want to cough up a small fortune. However, for all I know, perhaps that is the price point. £200 for four is not a huge sum these days.

fuckwittery Mon 16-Sep-13 21:09:05

PomBear yes, I think that is v good value.

fuckwittery Mon 16-Sep-13 21:07:26

Get the cheapest seats for Matilda, the theatre is tiny so cheap seats are for once absolutely fine!

Definitely look out for kids week next summer, I was online the second they went online and couldn't get Matilda tickets although a few were available, but got a kid goes free ticket for Wicked, and excellent seats.

MrsDavidBowie Mon 16-Sep-13 20:57:10

kids week is fab...actually goes on all August.
You have to get in early.

Dh has just booked Book of Mormon for a couple of weeks time.....really looking forwrd to it.

januaryjojo Mon 16-Sep-13 15:03:58

You should sign up to kids week.

Children free with each paying adult in the school hols.

Seen a few that way.

And show pairs is another bogof theatre site.

moondog Mon 16-Sep-13 14:52:42

Vest, I went to see it with my children this w/end and it was absolutely terrific. I forked out a lot and do not regret it at all. It reminded me of how magic a live performance really is.

vestandknickers Sun 15-Sep-13 17:45:37

Thanks all. I'm determined now to see Matilda and think I will ask for contributions for Christmas. My three are the perfect age for it and it could be an experience that will live with them forever. I'll check out Theatre Monkey so thanks for that Mrs B.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 15-Sep-13 14:35:30

Theatre Monkey is a great site to check out the best seats in all London theatres.

Wellthen Sun 15-Sep-13 11:16:48

The West End is ridiculous. When I first started going, maybe 10 years ago, top tickets were 40-50 quid. Top tickets are now £90! Thats a huge increase, especially in the economic times we're going through.

It is so frustrating, as another poster has pointed out, that a small boycott just wont do anything as tourists are always happy to pay. I will admit to paying $140 (it was a present actually, and the exchange rate was 2:1 at that point) for Rent on broadway. When am I next going to be in NY? It was in its last ever run as well.

Matilda is cheaper, party because its RSC and partly I think because its an older theatre so its smaller, more cramped and not raked. We were close to the stage but if you're behind a tall person, you're buggered. My visit was spoiled by this.

In the morer modern theatres (Lion King, Wicked) you shouldnt need to sit as close to the stage (and therefore pay as much) as almost all the seats are good seats. You will save a little by sitting on the far sides. They are technically 'restricted' but not to the point that it will spoil the show.

But, I am a bit of a seat snob. If I had to sit in the gods I'd rather not go. I agree with the posters who say save up. The experience, even just once or twice, is worth it. Just. Also agree with the posters who say go to the fring theatres - most big west end shows tour eventually.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 15-Sep-13 10:48:11

Cory...maybe he has auditioned for West end stuff and been rejected.
I have known people like that grin

cory Sat 14-Sep-13 19:41:18

Dd couldn't quite summon up the nerve to ask him, Pictures. wink

But the thought did occur.

BackforGood Sat 14-Sep-13 14:45:30

raisah - that's what we do, ask for "money for towards a ticket to the theatre" for Christmas and birthdays - it was PiLs Christmas present money that enabled us to go and see Lion King recently, and dd1 is going to see War Horse for her birthday present. Mind, we still go for what the theatre calls 'restricted view' seats - we've never not been able to see anything, I I can usually see 3 shows for the price of 1 in the 'top quality' seats smile
Thanks for the link to accommodation - will be following that up. smile

SuedeEffectPochette Sat 14-Sep-13 13:38:40

Matilda truly is amazing. The best thing I have ever seen in the West End and I have seen a lot.... it made me laugh out loud and also cry several times over throughout! Mind you, I start crying as soon as the priest gives Valjean the candlesticks in Les Mis........

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 14-Sep-13 13:27:45

That's a whole big area to "not approve of"

So does he not approve of the RSC either as that's what Matilda is (an RSC production)

I've seen some wonderful fringe stuff - but some absolute rubbish too

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 14-Sep-13 13:20:50

I'd like to take the troops too - but it is expensive. Hoping it will come down in price when the novelty wears off!

morefalafel Sat 14-Sep-13 13:07:30

YABU. Its rubbish. I saw it a while ago and it was dire.

cory Sat 14-Sep-13 12:57:42

Dd has just started drama A-level and met her new drama teacher who does not approve of the West End. I hope he is a man of magnetic influence who will convert dd to the concept of fringe theatres at £8 a shot. grin

NoComet Sat 14-Sep-13 12:29:35

University halls is a brilliant suggestion, given I have a 15y who is starting to think about such things.

MrsDavidBowie Sat 14-Sep-13 08:59:56

Good idea raisah...dd loves going, so for her 17th she got a lot of theatre tokens and cash so she can go and see stuff. Plus National theatre do cheap tickets for that age group.

raisah Sat 14-Sep-13 03:28:11

If you need accommodation in central London that doesn't break the bank then consider university halls. Universities let them out during the holidays to generate extra income. The central London ones have been refurbished to a very high standard to justify the eye watering tution fees of £9k plus. They are cost effective & family friendly with self catering flats & rooms.

www.lsevacations.co.uk/Accommodation/All-Locations.aspx

I stayed in one during the Edinburgh fringe & it cost me £25 per night so good value.

raisah Sat 14-Sep-13 03:07:06

Or cancel Christmas presents and use that money to buy top quality seats. If anybody asks what your dc would like for Xmas, mention theatre tokens and that you want to take them to see a show. Atleast their money is not wasted on expensive plastic tat which gets shoved to the back of the cupboard after a week or so.

I am doing this, if people ask me what to buy for my dc then I ask for a national theatre voucher and then I will make up the shortfall.

NoComet Sat 14-Sep-13 01:08:41

If you have older DCs, DD(15) says the curious incident of the dog in the night time was fab and it's a lot cheaper.

Desperately want to see Matilda, but London is a hell of a day trip and theatre plus a hotel is damn nearly as much as having a holiday abroad.

IamSlave Sat 14-Sep-13 00:25:16

Emile is on at a local theatre to us, is it any good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now