To think everyone's children can't be "very bright"

(240 Posts)
DrinkFromMyFountain Fri 13-Sep-13 19:25:51

Because a good 80% or posters/people in RL seem to refer to their kids as "very bright", surely 80% of kids can't be above average?

As the proud mother of a three month old I'm not fussed if my DS is "bright" or not, if he isn't academic I'm sure he will have other talents!

I hereby declare I shan't constantly boast about how bright he is unless he is a full in genius grin. As my mother always said, there is nothing wrong with being average.

mrstigs Fri 13-Sep-13 19:47:52

Mine ARE very bright. All three of them. Even the toddler. At least, they all seem to outwit me on an hourly basis, so that must mean they are extremely intelligent. wink

I think its nice to be proud of your child, although those parents who always seem to be implying that their child not just clever, but far superior to your child in every way are rather irritating.

Sparklingbrook Fri 13-Sep-13 19:49:06

What does bright actually mean though? confused

giveitago Fri 13-Sep-13 20:01:30

I've never met a child who is not bright.

MrsDeVere Fri 13-Sep-13 20:06:53

Parents are deluded.
Except me.
My DCs are perfect.

Butwilliseeyouagain Fri 13-Sep-13 20:08:27

According to their teachers my DC are performing 'at expected level', although I know for a FACT that they are very, very clever indeed. They are also both the cutest kids in their class by a country mile.

wineoclocktimeyet Fri 13-Sep-13 20:13:25

My children are so bright that everyone around them has to wear sunglasses so they are not blinded by their brightness smile

wordfactory Fri 13-Sep-13 20:17:34

Statistically, the biggest determining factor in a child's educational achievement is the mother's.

MN is a highly educated group. Ergo, their DC are statistically more likely to have bright DC.

The second biggest factor is wealth.

MN is a reasonably wealthy group...

littlemisswise Fri 13-Sep-13 20:20:32

Mine are bright, but I believe bright or not everyone is good at something. DH is not the brightest button in the tin (he will admit it), if I say to him "I fancy x piece of furniture, can you do it?" He will be off with his note pad and have it sorted in no time.

I was quite good at school, not the brightest, nothing like my kids, but I can make a fantastic chocolate fudge cake and knit some pretty good baby clothes. I have embroidered some fine samplers too.

Academia isn't everything.

Vecta Fri 13-Sep-13 20:24:30

I think that most children are "bright". To me, "bright"ness is not so much about how clever they are but about how alert, engaged, wondering and curious they are about the world around them. Actually, most young children are bright in this sense - it is how they learn and grow.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 13-Sep-13 20:24:42

I am constantly amazed by how much better my kids are than anyone elses.

exoticfruits Fri 13-Sep-13 20:33:17

It's more the fact that they 'need to be stretched' that gives me a funny picture- or that the teacher won't be able to cope- as if they never come across bright children!

Sparklingbrook Fri 13-Sep-13 20:35:07

I wonder how many of the bright children are considered bright by their teachers? grin

Rufus43 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:40:38

I thought I was bright, then my dad tidied his attic and gave me my old school reports.....not so bright apparently....

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 13-Sep-13 20:45:12

Then there are the teachers who think you should be surprised when three of them in 30 mins say 'she is really very bright' - hmm I live with her she has been arguing like a QC since she was three.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Fri 13-Sep-13 20:54:48

I would describe bright as being able to learn new things quickly.

Which children do by definition. As their whizzy bang bang neuro thingamies are still growing or joining or whatever.

Fakebook Fri 13-Sep-13 20:59:07

My children are so bright, that the sun shines out of their little chubby bums. Nappy changing time for my 1 year old is particularly difficult.

MammaTJ Fri 13-Sep-13 21:12:15

Mine are!! grin

Well, DD1 I thought was clever, but not clever enough to learn from my mistakes. Where I went got married at 18 and did not study and am now finally getting round to doing a degree at 46, she has given up on education and has moved in with her BF. She will hopefully learn education can be done again later!

DD2 is not so good on paper (she is the youngest in yr4 though and that makes a bit of a difference), but doesn't miss anything going on in the world around her!

DS seems bright and is ahead BUT he is the oldest in his year and in year 2, so I know that makes a massive difference at his age. He has his head in the clouds most of the time though, so hides any cleverness well! grin

As long as they are happy..................................

ironmansmum Fri 13-Sep-13 21:12:52

I reckon that all kids shine in different areas but it also depends on the environment they find themselves in. At home my DS talks constantly, never stops for breath (can't imagine where he gets it from!). Just had his first week at big school and I bet he didn't say 5 words! School may think he's a bit timid etc. Wait til next week - full force!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 13-Sep-13 21:14:21

DD is...an individual. Good at the things I'm not, like music, making friends, maths.

Also inherited DW's lovely feet, which means she won't have my orthopaedic problems.

lljkk Fri 13-Sep-13 21:17:43

I've never heard anyone IRL refer to their own DC as "very bright". confused

Kleinzeit Fri 13-Sep-13 21:17:52

Ah, it’s not that my kid is brightest at everything, it’s just that the things my kid is brightest at just happen to be the most important things in the world. The things that other people’s kids are brightest at just aren’t as important. Obviously. grin

softlysoftly Fri 13-Sep-13 21:21:26

YANBU

Mine are though, seriously at 4 my dd1 has been told she'll definitely get a scholarship to the best schools because of how forward she is, by an actual teacher her aunt so it's a fact.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 13-Sep-13 21:23:08

Yanbu.

WestieMamma Fri 13-Sep-13 21:30:51

My daughter is the smartest brightest girl I've ever come across. Her IQ was tested as part of her AS investigation. Everyone was astounded at how high she scored. Although considering her Dad is a rocket scientist type it shouldn't have been quite so unexpected. Unfortunately she's bone idle so it's completely wasted on her.

FoundAChopinLizt Fri 13-Sep-13 21:34:52

A parenting website.

I've joined a PARENTING website.shock

I always thought of it as an antidote to parenting.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now