To panic about my Christmas cake commitments?

(59 Posts)
Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 17:48:00

I'm supposed to be making Christmas cakes as a charity fundraiser and it's just occurred to me that, as I have to make them well in advance, if I don't sell any as many as I would like then I'm going to have spent a fortune on ingredients/boards/boxes and have nothing to show for it. The ingredients are really expensive, and I'm not sure if the mark up will be that great. (my estimates as to what people will pay vary wildly)

Will someone tell me that it will all be alright and people will pay a kings ransom for a fruit cake.

LeonieDeSainteVire Sat 14-Sep-13 09:48:48

Lakeland sell christmas themed cellophane bags which are just the right size for one small round Christmas cake (make in a small sized baked bean tin or similar, much cheaper than buying the specific tins). Tie with pretty ribbon and add a tag.

A good idea is to print a label with full list of ingredients and stick it to the bottom then people know what they're buying.

aintnothinbutagstring Sat 14-Sep-13 04:13:48

I like Dundee style Xmas cakes, with the glazed nuts and sometimes glaced cherries/fruit on top, not too heavy and very pretty and festive to look at especially with a nice big tartan ribbon round. Quicker and easier than icing too. Can lace with a bit of Scottish whiskey.

raisah Sat 14-Sep-13 04:01:46

I don't like fruit cake but would buy another type of cake. My friend bakes cakes & she did an amazing chocolate Grufallo one which was a hit. You could do a selection of cakes, traditional & none traditional Christmas cakes. Also, if you have 1 or 2 birthday cakes then people are more likely to buy those now than Xmas cake which is too far ahead iyswim.o

Have a small selection that people can buy from you on the day to see your range, take atleast a 10-20% deposit for the pre-orders. Also have a small catalogue of photos of your previous cakes & a pricelist with contact details that people can take away with them on the day.

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 23:46:04

I have those! Got them cheap on ebay

4forkssake Fri 13-Sep-13 23:32:10

What about something like this to make small cakes. They're from Lakeland (linking cos I've seen them in there) but you might find them cheaper elsewhere.

www.lakeland.co.uk/15781/12-Mini-Loaf-Moulds

Taffeta Fri 13-Sep-13 22:54:11

Food grade cellophane

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 22:28:31

Yes, I don't know what its called either. I think florists use it.

marzipanned Fri 13-Sep-13 22:14:01

Oh my, no way would I pay that much! Well, the estimated prices I gave you before were apparently way too low.

Good cheap idea for packing is to use clear plastic and a nice ribbon. Not sure what the technical name of the clear plastic I mean is, but hopefully you do know what I'm talking about...

Yeah, freezing them (undecorated) will be fine. My mum usually makes two at once and freezes one for next year, and you can never tell. Think she leaves out the alcohol though, and then defrosts it a month or so before Christmas and drowns it in sherry to revive it.

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:45:43

They charge £42 for an undecorated 8 inch round cake...

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:43:59

I need lovely little boxes like the ones on here with 6 little cakes in. They look very considered.

www.simplydeliciouscakes.co.uk/occasions/christmas-cake/

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:38:28
Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:38:08

oops!

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 21:37:48

[[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Silverwood-pieceRound-Multi-Mini/dp/B000IAZOPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379104555&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+cake+tin I can make tiny ones in this but I don't know how to package nicely and cheaply

PurplePidjin Fri 13-Sep-13 20:59:58

Make Christmas Cupcakes - fruit cake in the base, then cut out circles of marzipan and fondant icing with a cookie cutter. Sell for £1-2 each, bet you get 12 from the equivalent of an 8" cake plus far less expensive marzipan.

I hate marzipan so I make my version of stollen without it. It's fabulous (if I do say so myself) but it shows that it can stand up on its own without the marzipan.

Hope that helps.

magicstar1 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:48:54

I sold cakes last Christmas and you won't believe what sold best....chocolate biscuit cakes! I made them in a bowl, and poured white chocolate over the top with a bit of holly, so they looked like Christmas puddings. Great seller!

magicstar1 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:47:04

I s

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 19:51:57

mrspaddy Like Nigellas? Or is it something different

greenfolder Fri 13-Sep-13 19:48:21

Gingerbread bollocks-great idea-people would buy them for secret santa x

mrspaddy Fri 13-Sep-13 19:42:05

What about boiled fruit cake op

marzipanned Fri 13-Sep-13 19:39:56

Oh, sorry!! I should've read your post more carefully. I think you're right that you can mark up the smaller ones more. I'd happily pay at least (given it's for charity)

Wee loaves - £2
8" - £10
6" - £8
4" - £5

mrspremise I easily spend that much each year, the answer is Pedro Ximenez sherry! That would be for two cakes though.

Costco do a lovely cake decorated with glazed nuts and cherries, DH and I always get one of those at the start of December, another in the middle and then one for Christmas

They make a wonderful centre for our Christmas table and always go down well with friends when we have drinks at Christmas.

Stravy Fri 13-Sep-13 19:22:34

Cherry brandy sounds good. I like ameretto but was going to use brandy as 'traditional'

whattodoo Fri 13-Sep-13 19:21:57

A friend buys a square Christmas cake from the supermarket, cuts it in 4 the puts it on some plain white card with cellophane and ribbon. People queue to buy them for a fiver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now