to expect otger coach passengers to move so I can sit with my baby?

(129 Posts)
froken Tue 10-Sep-13 19:25:34

wI recently got a coach from Heathrow to my home town.

I was travelling with my ds who is 8 months old, national express recommend that you bring a age appropriate car seat when traveling with a baby, they book you 2 seats under 1 booking.(it's very kind of them to give an infant an entire seat) we were one of the last to get on the coach and by tge time we arrived there were no seats together. There were lots of people sitting alone in a double seat.

None of tge passengers sitting alone in a double seat would move, I ended up threatening to leave the very grumpy teething out of routine baby next to a lady.

Eventually someone moved but I had to organise where he would sit and tge lady he was going to sit next to wasn't at all pleased that he was going to sit next to each other.

Aibu ( and an entitled mum) to think that people should move seats so a parent can sit next to their small child?

HeffalumpTheFlump Wed 11-Sep-13 19:52:01

Yanbu! I can't believe some people these days! The pp's suggestions of taking up these rude buggers implied offer of free babysitting made me laugh though.

candycoatedwaterdrops Wed 11-Sep-13 18:09:44

I've noticed that Silverstreak7 is a quite a goady controversial poster, think nothing of it OP!

Summerblaze Wed 11-Sep-13 13:33:16

How strange. Out of the 2 seats, I would plump for the aisle seat every time. Don't get the fascination with window seats at all. Obviously some like it who feel sick but everyone else???? Why???

If you are on a long drive and there are toilets on the bus, you would have to move a stranger every time you needed to pee. I hate inconveniencing anyone so would go for the aisle.

Can't believe no-one moved........actually I can. There are some self centred, entitled bastards on this earth and it seems to be getting worse <feels old emoticon>.

theodorakisses Wed 11-Sep-13 13:20:25

I would happily move to allow a grumpy 8 month old to sit at the other end of the coach, no offence but I love coach journeys and would rather be in a quiet section. I would have moved but I agree that if you need extra things it would be nice to at least try to get there early on so people don't have to play musical chairs once they are settled. I doubt you deliberately got there late through some bizarre sense of entitlement however, more likely rushing and frazzling trip from home with an 8 month old.

SweetSeraphim Wed 11-Sep-13 13:07:33

Fleta grin

Fairy1303 Wed 11-Sep-13 13:07:15

On second thoughts, I'm warming to this. Next time say, 'oh, you want your window seat? Thanks SO much, I haven't slept in 8 months. I think he's pooed, here is the nappy bag. Here, bottle of milk. Thanks for your kind offer to look after him since I have to sit over there. I'll look forward to 5 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Fleta Wed 11-Sep-13 13:01:21

Next time froken DO make sure your plan lands absolutely on time - frightful bore of you to be late for the coach.

In fact, maybe you could offer to fly it yourself so you can get to the coach sooner - plenty of space for baby in the cockpit after all

Fairy1303 Wed 11-Sep-13 13:00:04

Silver streak - so the OP should have put her child in danger so that other passenger could get a nice view of the M25??? Are you being serious?

Oh andim sure the passenger enjoying the window seat would have been more that able to change the nappy of, breast feed, and calm down a crying INFANT Who is separated from their mother.

OP, YANBU, I'm amazed that anyone would say you were. It is a sad world we live in.

froken Wed 11-Sep-13 12:56:34

I think silver was probably on the bus.

On the plane (which was pretty packed) they gave me an entire row to myself (that is too much special treatment in my opinion) I didn't ask for it but and it didn't really matter as ds slept the entire flight.

Fleta Wed 11-Sep-13 12:51:22

I cannot for a moment imagine what type of person wouldn't move for a mum and a tiny baby confused

I once booked seats over the phone for a train, it was for me and my daughter who was then 3.

When I got to the station to collect, they'd booked us in separate coaches.

Damnautocorrect Wed 11-Sep-13 12:39:50

No you were not being entitled I had this happen to me and luckily people moved for me.

SweetSeraphim Wed 11-Sep-13 12:08:56

What BearHunt said.

I think Silver was maybe on the coach that day <nods sagely> wink

WentOnABearHunt Wed 11-Sep-13 11:26:03

people are mean. that is all. Whats wrong with just being a decent human who does something to make someone else life a bit easier as really, no real inconvenience to themselves.

Theas18 Wed 11-Sep-13 11:00:22

Op

Mind you, if you popped you baby next to me and sat else where, you'd probably be post on mums net about the scary middle aged old bat who was very happy to entertain your child for a couple of hours. I'd have loved it smile ( and I am CRB checked but I don't carry it on coach trips!)

Jesus H... Silver, if you're going to get so snappy about the OP leaving earlier you might do well to pay attention to the fact that the OP said that the got the coach from Heathrow. She didn't just leave later than she should from her home.

OP - YANBU. You asked politely, and you did pay for your seat, it isn't your fault that National Express required your baby to travel in a car seat that requires it's own seat. I'd have moved without thinking about it, it doesn't bother me if I'm having to sit next to someone else unless they smell. I tend to find it's nice to be nice, regardless of who I'm moving for - people travelling together who prefer to sit together, children who want to sit with their parents, someone who needs a seat more than me. I'd hope that people would do the same for me if I needed it, even if it hasn't always happened that way.

ExitPursuedByADragon Wed 11-Sep-13 10:50:28

Not the UN. Damn

[exits]

Theas18 Wed 11-Sep-13 10:47:39

Of course they should move!

Maybe a cheery " you wont move, ah well I'm sure you'll love to have this little one on this seat next to you whilst I sit over there then" ....

Seaweedy Wed 11-Sep-13 10:41:46

Dear me, Silver. I feel I must point out that it would be difficult for us to fuck off without our cunts. Unless some people have the detachable kind? That fasten in with Velcro or something.?

K8Middleton Wed 11-Sep-13 10:39:06

I'm no more scared of silver than I am any other tantrumming nit wit.

Get some perspective love, this is the Internet. Not the UN.

TheBigJessie Wed 11-Sep-13 10:12:18

But silver, don't you think that as a parent, she knows what she's doing by now and thus how to raise her child in a non-precious manner?

<snide reference>

catsmother Wed 11-Sep-13 09:49:18

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion - just as everyone else who's replied is entitled to theirs.

Doesn't mean we all have to agree with you though ...

.... when your opinion is a sad indictment of an unpleasant "I'm all right Jack, sod you" attitude.

Shame on you that you have no compassion .... "you should have left earlier" ergo it's your fault, not mine. How very understanding NOT. You have no possible way of knowing why anyone in greater need of your oh-so-precious seat might have arrived later than you did. Doesn't alter the fact that it'd be a kind thing to give it up so a mother can sit with her very young baby on a long journey.

Ironic isn't it, that you earlier proclaimed mothers who have the shocking temerity to wish to have their baby next to them (can't think of any good reason why on earth they'd want that hmm) were in danger of raising precious children. Yet you and other selfish people like you would cling on to your seat as if your life depended on it rather than "suffer" a minor inconvenience which pales into insignificance against the safety and well being of an extremely young child. So who, exactly, is being precious now ??

burberryqueen Wed 11-Sep-13 09:19:03

god silverstreak, calm down, it is only lines on a screen...confused

Crowler Wed 11-Sep-13 09:18:40

I'm actually a bit scared of Silver.

A bunch of cunts on the train, indeed.

SomethingOnce Wed 11-Sep-13 09:14:02

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning, Silver?

SilverStreak7 Wed 11-Sep-13 09:07:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now