To agree with the Headmistress to send home pupils who do not conform to regulation school uniform.

(301 Posts)
annemary12 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:13:23

I am totally fed up with school pupils who look a mess and are not dressed in correct or regulation school uniform. I never understand why many schools allow 6th form pupils free will in their choice of clothes.

I think that if pupils are unable to abide by school uniform regulations what hope of they got when they leave school and are going to interviews.

I believe that all school pupils including 6th form pupils should wear a regulation school blazer and school tie so they can show which school they go to.

Headmistress like Leslie ellis are standing up for standards that have been in decline since the 1970"s and need to be fully supported in their desire to hold standards to at least the very shoddy standards that pupils display today. I for one am delighted that a head was prepared to take ridicule and derision in standing up for standards.

After reading the constant criticism of leslie ellis i thought it was time that someone stood up for a upstanding member of the teaching profession.

kim147 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:44:25

And why logos on everything?

LaGuardia Sat 07-Sep-13 21:44:41

I get pissed off with the parents who send their DC into school with turquoise socks and black skirts when the uniform is white socks and navy skirts. They are just trying to make a point. Pathetic. Home school if you don't want to conform.

Lampshadeofdoom Sat 07-Sep-13 21:44:57

Ours have had to introduce a new skirt style to stop girls wearing it short and very tight.

I suppose it depends if uniform is being worn incorrectly because they can't afford logo items.

I don't thing pupils should be punished for having right style and colour of trousers just because they aren't logo ones

beatback Sat 07-Sep-13 21:46:08

Hold standards to at least the Shoddy standards of today. That does not seem right.

littlemisswise Sat 07-Sep-13 21:47:03

No, Leslie Ellis is bloody stupid IMO. The school couldn't supply the uniform yet she still went into overkill mode and sent children home, or put them into isolation when they and their parents had absolutely no control over the situation. Some of the children had only started that day, what a great impression she gave to them and their parents!

DS2 goes to sixth form in jeans and a t-shirt, just as DS1 did. DS1 got high A level grades so it didn't affect his learning. I would, personally, like a dress code because it would save a faff in the mornings.

I don't, however, understand why a school needs to have a star or other emblem on a skirt or pair of trousers. What is wrong with a school tie, jumper or blazer? Why when times are so hard for so many families are they making it so expensive to send our kids to school? Not only that, are they making lots of leg lengths (DS2 is a 34" inside leg), different trouser styles for girls, because as women we know one style does not fit all? It's just completely over the top in my opinion!

scaevola Sat 07-Sep-13 21:49:04

i googled - there isn't much about this, so I'm a little surprised that anyone has found "constant criticism".

The problem is a big bang change. If I had DC who had finished growing and who had uniform in good order, I would not be happy about being ordered to change it for just year 11. There really should be 3-6 terms of running the two uniforms alongside each other.

But logo'ed trousers and skirts!?! Sounds vile, as well as being seriously atypical.

littlemisswise Sat 07-Sep-13 21:52:15

There was a thread about LE, scaevola.

Djjuran Sat 07-Sep-13 21:53:24

I think it's important so that children know what rules are. There are so many who don't seem to have any at home (I know from my own children's tales) that some homes just don't have any discipline. These are the ones that will go out to the workplace and not have a clue how to behave - so good on Leslie Ellis for caring.

redexpat Sat 07-Sep-13 21:53:47

Isn't there a thread about her on AIBU saying that the uniform didn't come into the shop in time, so it was send them in wearing wrong uniform, or not at all. In which case she IBU.

I agree in principal, but really schools are making it more and more difficult to stick to the uniform. Logos on trousers? Is that really going to raise standards? I think not.

littlemisswise Sat 07-Sep-13 21:55:07

DS1 used to wear the "wrong" colour socks when he was at school. It was specified that they wore dark plain socks, so he did. Dark red, dark purple, dark blue etc. The HT would argue she meant black, well she should have bloody said black then!
It didn't affect his learning, he got the 2nd highest GCSE results in his year!

kim147 Sat 07-Sep-13 21:55:41

I think it's ridiculous when people are struggling for money that schools insist on uniform with loads of logos which costs a lot of money. Kids grow and also damage their uniform which ends up costing parents loads.

marriedinwhiteisback Sat 07-Sep-13 21:55:53

You see I totally support a strict uniform but in the context of breaking rules it falls behind: bullying, theft, assault, pyromania, disruption, drug taking, smoking, drinking on the premises and in the uniform. I will respect all members of the teaching profession when their rinciples become aligned with right and wrong and proper efforts are made to ensure the dc who want to learn can learn. It's why we removed our dd from a state comp at the end of year 8. PRIORITIES do you hear - sort out te PRIORITIES. Dd is a goody two shoes btw but how I would have loved a letter or complaint about the length of her skirt - oh how I would have loved it.

Listentomum Sat 07-Sep-13 21:56:19

So long as they put as much effort into education and welfare then I agree. I went to a school that cared lots about uniform and not much about teaching or welfare, therefore I would say uniform is less important than the other stuff.

redexpat Sat 07-Sep-13 21:56:30

Here is the other thread.

scaevola Sat 07-Sep-13 21:57:21

Thanks - didn't show on google. And if you don't want to read an MN thread, you just hide it? Not start what is proving to be a TAAT.

ukatlast Sat 07-Sep-13 21:58:59

I went to school in the late 1970s and there was no uniform in the 6th Form. The reason is simple - you could leave school at 15/16 and there was no need to put people off staying on by enforcing an unnecessary uniform.

We also called the teachers by their first names in the 6th Form as well...shock horror. Also if you had no lessons timetabled, you could stay at home..shock horror. I think OP's attitude is ridiculous oldfashioned claptrap.
Bear in mind that office dress codes have relaxed a massive amount in the last 15 years...my husband is often the only one wearing a tie in business meetings and that is wonderful in my opinion.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 07-Sep-13 21:59:41

Totally unreasonable. School uniform in a state school is a stupid waste of everybody's time and resources.

There is no evidence that school uniform has any real impact on learning. Heads like imposing school uniform as a way of exerting power and control.

Pride in the organisation comes first. If the organisation is worthy of pride then students will be happy to wear the uniform. If the organisation is not worthy of students' respect then no amount of bullying behaviour by the head will result in students paying more than lip service to the uniform.

I see this clearly with my DS. He belongs to the Army Cadets, he takes enormous pride in that organisation. As a result he puts huge effort into being smartly turned out. He is not proud of his school (bottom 20 in England so who would be?). His school uniform would make a scarecrow blush.

Darkesteyes Sat 07-Sep-13 22:02:47

OP this might make your head implode but if girls are being told not to wear make up at school for instance just as an example then im assuming women wont be expected to wear make up to job interviews......oh wait

Lancelottie Sat 07-Sep-13 22:02:55

I half-agree with that, Worry. DS will smarten up immensely for choir events (bow ties, no less!) and take pride in being part of a unit.

But he's also immensely proud of his (shabby, sweatshirted) school, and of their scary, well-respected headteacher.

Darkesteyes Sat 07-Sep-13 22:05:46

littlemisswiseSat 07-Sep-13 21:47:03

No, Leslie Ellis is bloody stupid IMO. The school couldn't supply the uniform yet she still went into overkill mode and sent children home, or put them into isolation when they and their parents had absolutely no control over the situation. Some of the children had only started that day, what a great impression she gave to them and their parents!

She blamed the kids for something that was the schools fault. Which makes her an abusive gaslighter.

lagertops Sat 07-Sep-13 22:07:29

WorrySighWorrySigh good post.

pointythings Sat 07-Sep-13 22:08:39

YABU because the cockup was the school's - they failed to manage the logistics. Pupils were not able to obtain the uniform, therefore the head should have apologised, instituted a grace period and lived with it.

I am opposed to school uniform - I grew up in Holland, and amazingly enough there was no enormous breakdown of law and order in schools because of the lack of uniform. Odd, that hmm. But since I chose to live in the UK and send my DDs to school here, I have adapted. I'm just glad that the schools I send my DDs to are sensible about uniform and don't rip off parents for the sake of a few logos.

littlemisswise Sat 07-Sep-13 22:12:47

When both my DSes were at school they wore their uniforms properly. They tucked their shirts in, did their top buttons up, tie knots right up to their collars, the right shoes which were polished.They were good lads. DS1 had the sock issue but you couldn't tell until he sat down. The HT still moaned about it.

DH is Forces. He has size 14 feet, they can't supply him the correct shoes so they let him wear Doc Martens, and he is allowed to wear M&S black socks.

To me there has to be some common sense, but all to often when these stories are rolled out (usually in the DM) it seems to be lacking.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 07-Sep-13 22:13:55

Lancelottie, is your DS proud to wear his school sweatshirt to his school?

My DS is not at all proud to attend his unutterably crap school. Therefore DS is not at all proud to wear his blazer. Funnily enough there is no rush to put the school badge on his new blazer.

On the other hand DS will happily spend hour bulling his parade boots for cadets and is nagging for a new pair of work boots as his old pair no longer reach his exacting standards.

pointythings Sat 07-Sep-13 22:19:32

The whole pride thing is a red herring. My DD is proud of her academic achievements, and she acknowledges the part her teachers have played in that. Her logo blazer has bugger all to do with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now