Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think it's a good idea to sell gin in cafes?

(42 Posts)
purplepinkstars Sat 07-Sep-13 13:41:38

Because after shopping with a one and a three year old I need gin, and I don't even like gin, but I need it. And hot chocolate doesn't do enough, even with cream and marshmallows, the biscuit would help but ds1 takes that, even when they give me two. So aibu?

PoppyWearer Sat 07-Sep-13 17:20:04

Oh and I am not official.

(Where is OliviaMumsnet when we need her, she is off-the-gin but very much the Official Voice on all things gin-related).

HoopersGinger Sat 07-Sep-13 17:22:03

Great news indeed Poppy ! I can purchase it from M&S ready mixed with my vast benefit wealth smile

PoppyWearer Sat 07-Sep-13 17:22:59

Huzzah! wine

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 07-Sep-13 18:00:17

You need a hipflask of brandy to add to the hot chocolate.

tunnocksteacake Sat 07-Sep-13 18:01:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyWearer Sat 07-Sep-13 19:04:35

The Gin Allowance Handbook, "GAH" for short. For those moments when you say "Gah!" and need gin. grin

PGTip Sat 07-Sep-13 19:08:42

YABU I don't like gin, but will agree to it if they have vodka as well gringrin

DP drunk all my emergency Gin-In-A-Tin. AIBU to LTB?

Oh, 'a shitload' for me too, great!

OP, YANBU of course.
I'd rather NOT go to a teetotal cafe at all with DCs in tow, then go with them and have to stick to carrot cake (much as I like, 'tis not the same as gin).

Ooh I went to the Beanotown exhibition in London, and they sold cocktails and alcohol in their sandwich bar cafe. Mothers of menaces needing alcohol? Genius idea.

Winterwardrobetime Sat 07-Sep-13 19:17:56

Tesco have the pre-mixed drinks (gin, pimms etc) on offer and I only said to my DH that I was tempted to get some so when we take juice to the park I can have a more mummy appropriate drink! I haven't nor will, but my is it tempting sometimes!

DameFanny Sat 07-Sep-13 19:22:11

I may have taken gininatin on the last couple of family picnics. I don't like lemonade or ginger beer and DH doesn't like my driving so I think it's perfectly permissable.

eddiemairswife Sat 07-Sep-13 19:44:12

Drinking some now.Henceforth I shall call my Winter Fuel Allowance my Gin Allowance.

PGTip Sun 08-Sep-13 14:18:07

Peppermint, my eldest would love the Beanotown exhibition, is it still on??

It finished today. It was on over the summer months as for the 75th anniversary. It was good but you didn't miss anything amazing.

CHJR Sun 08-Sep-13 19:24:38

I think alcohol and newspapers should be on tap (but only at adult height) next to children's playgrounds grin

beanandspud Sun 08-Sep-13 19:50:30

I've always thought cafés should just give away a free gin to every parent who looks as if they need one. A bit like the free shots that you often get after a meal on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now