To not quite understand the rules ?

(13 Posts)
thatisall Sat 07-Sep-13 11:18:59

What exactly are the rules when it comes to posting a thread about a thread or bringing an old thread back from the dead?
I kinda want up do an update but I'm not sure which will anger the mumsnet gods the most lol

AgentZigzag Sat 07-Sep-13 11:26:00

Loosely, thread about a thread is OK if it's a genuine offshoot of a thread you're on but you don't want to derail/hijack, not OK if it's being shitty about something someone said on a thread or you're having a go because you've lost the argument and need people to say you're right grin

Updates on a thread you've started yourself are always welcomed.

AgentZigzag Sat 07-Sep-13 11:27:04

Should have said IMO, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about either so long as posters are playing nicely.

DoJo Sat 07-Sep-13 13:02:26

Perhaps ask the to change the title so it's clear there's an update?

DoJo Sat 07-Sep-13 13:03:45

And the missing word there was 'mods'.

MardyBra Sat 07-Sep-13 13:05:21

I think there's an unwritten rule about not using lol as punctuation. wink

If a thread hasn't been posted on for more than a few weeks, it's usually better to start a new one, unless there is a specific reason for updating. ,

Nagoo Sat 07-Sep-13 13:05:25

If it's your thread I can't see why anyone would have a problem.

Id start a new thread with a link to the old one smile

Nagoo Sat 07-Sep-13 13:07:41

agree about the lol

AmberLeaf Sat 07-Sep-13 13:07:59

If it is your thread, then update it and don.t worry.

I find the 'zombie thread' pedants tiresome.

MardyBra Sat 07-Sep-13 13:08:09

If it's a genuine update I think you should be fine. And anyway who cares if you piss someone off?

Pagwatch Sat 07-Sep-13 13:11:39

If its an update then that's fine

The 'thread about a thread' etiquette is mostly to stop the situation where someone starts a separate thread rather than commenting on an existing one just to be a sneaky fucker or to try and start a bun fight.

gamerchick Sat 07-Sep-13 13:15:33

As far as I'm concerned if it's your own thread you can bump it up at any point. Probably better if you're updating.

thatisall Sat 07-Sep-13 13:24:31

I've updated and it's the thread about xp finances.
So now I've resurrected an old thread and started a thread about a thread an used lol as punctuation!
It's all going on.....lol ;-p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now