to wonder why there are blackberries going bad whilst people complain that they don't have enough money to feed their family healthy food.

(801 Posts)
froken Fri 06-Sep-13 20:16:33

We went blackberry picking today, I was expecting a couple of manky blackberries to be left because I hear so often in the media and on mumsnet people saying how they struggle to feed their dc healthy food and sometimes people saying they have a hard time finding enough money to feed their dc at all.

There was a huge amount of blackberries, we were a 20 min walk outside a major city so an easily accessible place for 1000s of families.

We picked 9 pounds of blackberries.

Aibu to think that it would be a good idea for those struggling to feed their family a healthy diet (and those struggling to feed their family at all) should be out picking the free fruit that grows all over England's public spaces?

StanleyLambchop Fri 06-Sep-13 20:26:23

Depends on where they are, as well. I was always told not to pick them from the side of the road as they would be covered in exhaust fumes. From a field in the middle of nowhere is a different story, but how many 'townies' have easy access to that?

catham Fri 06-Sep-13 20:26:27

why did you take so much? birds and wildlife also need to survive!

SofaKing Fri 06-Sep-13 20:26:45

It is a good idea, but how do you get to there to pick them if you live in the city 20 miles away? If you are poor you are unlikely to have a car and public transport costs money.

Also, I live in Scotland too and if it's anything like last year the berries will ripen one day and be rotten the next, so your timing has to be excellent!

NoelHeadbands Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:02

I took the kids out yesterday licking chewing gum stuck to the pavement- do you know how many other families we saw doing this? None.

Lazy bastards.

gordyslovesheep Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:18

there's plenty of road kill available to - some people are so entitled wanting actual food

WayHarshTai Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:24

'Let them eat jam' grin

Hassled Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:29

But those poor folk aren't going to be able to feed their offspring on blackberries for a week now you've picked 9lbs of the things, are they? You really haven't thought this through.

SaltySeaBird Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:47

I saw a lovely crop of blackberries and planned to go and pick some and when I went back two days later they had been stripped. I passed a family carrying buckets full so I guess I only just missed out.

I find them a bit full of pips though and they spoil a nice apple crumble. Still I would have liked a few!

WafflyVersatile Fri 06-Sep-13 20:27:56

Basically you've just sentenced hundreds of birds, and hungry families to death. I hope you're proud.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 06-Sep-13 20:28:06

Yanbu op. its amazing how many people walk straight past this free food in our town, to waitross to spend 2 pound on a punnet of blackberries.
And, worst case scenario a maggot in one- so what? You don't taste it and its Killed immediately by stomach acid.so, protein and fruit....

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:28:38

Bloody hell
You picked 9lbs

how greedy are you? shock

Some people can't just take what they need can they?

froken Fri 06-Sep-13 20:29:12

I don't think people should eat blackberries for breakfast lunch and dinner but they are a lovely snack and they are free.

I took my 10 year old little sister and my baby in a sling, my Grandma and mum also came, it was a really nice day out.

I grew up in poverty, we picked blackberries, it was tge only timevwe ever had pudding.

WafflyVersatile Fri 06-Sep-13 20:29:27

I think the OP may be too busy in the toilet with abdominal cramps to reply. sad

LoveSewingBee Fri 06-Sep-13 20:29:52

I love blackberries, I use them to make the most wonderful clafoutis (which you can freeze by the way), so where oh where is this blackberry paradise, please enlighten us.

WafflyVersatile Fri 06-Sep-13 20:29:57

Oh, no, there she is, with more wisdom!

DrCoconut Fri 06-Sep-13 20:29:57

I think it depends where you live. I don't know of any blackberries or other officially free fruit within walking distance of here. Typically people on very low budgets can't afford transport to get to where such things are. May be different in other areas, I don't know.

TheSecondComing Fri 06-Sep-13 20:30:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:30:04

Yet when ONE person kills a swan and eats it

its all over the news like they did something wrong.

They are only try to feed their family on nature's free bounty hmm

expatinscotland Fri 06-Sep-13 20:30:30

Foraging is definitely a way to reliably sustain a human being. That is exactly why humans, thousands of years ago, starting farming.

FFS.

Who let the dogs out?

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:30:57

What about hedgehogs?

I believe they are delicious when baked.

MrsDeVere Fri 06-Sep-13 20:32:06

Dogs? Now you are talking expat

Bung a poodle in the slow cooker and you can feed your little ones for a week.

I grew up in poverty and also picked blackberries from the local park.

Guess what? Still starved.

NoelHeadbands Fri 06-Sep-13 20:32:44

What about hedgehogs?

I believe they are delicious when baked.

And also when decorated with cubes of cheddar and pineapple. If one can afford obvs

Pachacuti Fri 06-Sep-13 20:32:52

Ah, snacks. Yes, people are complaining that they can't feed their children and are besieging food banks because they don't have lovely snacks.

hermioneweasley Fri 06-Sep-13 20:33:18

Loads of blackberries here too, not crawling with beasties.

9lbs of them though?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now