Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why those with lower income get free childcare even if they don't work

(434 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Tue 03-Sep-13 13:47:18

2 mums from a toddler group I go to are on income support and their DC start their free 2 days a week at nursery at the age of 2. I have dd1 age 5, and dtds 2. We couldn't afford childcare for 2 babies so I had to cut my hours by more than half and work from home around dc which is hard but we wouldn't cover the bills if I didn't. obviously twins was a surprise and a huge financial hit so savings are very low/almost non existent.

Anyway, I have another year until my dtds get free childcare while a lady with one dc gets it at age 2 despite having no intention to work. This feels really unfair and I just don't get the reasoning.
I'm not trying to benefit bash but it's hard not to feel angry. Willing to accept iabu, but can't help feeling this way.

alemci Thu 05-Sep-13 20:33:43

yes I can and it is a good thing in those scenarios chunderella smile

morethanpotatoprints Thu 05-Sep-13 20:48:55

OP, you have a job, savings and can afford to cut down your hours and still pay the bills.
The free 15 hours is for education for those children worse off than yours.
It is not free childcare and only available to the disadvantaged in some way.
Why not thank your lucky ass that you are not entitled to the free 15 hours, rather than moaning about the unfairness of it all.

TwasBrillig Fri 06-Sep-13 16:25:32

I've recently found out we qualify (husband was in a good job, recently made redundant). Its a bit odd but I suspect I'll take it up as its offered. I have ill health and don't have a support network so it will be well appreciated, even though that wasn't treason we're eligible.

I'm not sure if it will benefit my daughter any more than being with me but I think it will it will help me get some voluntary experience so I canhopefully go back to work.

It does seem off we're eligible for it, and it doesn't get taken off us when husband returns to work (hopefully).

TwasBrillig Fri 06-Sep-13 16:26:02

Off? Odd that we're eligible.

nikaia60 Mon 02-Dec-13 15:23:47

princess - on the plus side she's only getting 'lovely me time' because the gov deems her parenting lacking. think of that each time she gloats!! At least you have the satisfaction that you brought your children up yourself

Blimey, what a terrible, horribly judgmental thing to say. It makes me feel really sad that people like the woman that posted that buy into these false stereotypes - we're either middle class supermums doing a fantastic job, or we're feckless chavs sitting at home on benefits doing a shit job at parenting.

I now qualify for free early education for my 2 year old daughter. Earlier this year my husband left me, with two children under 4, neither of whom sleep properly - so I get between 2 and 4 hours sleep a night. I used to run my own business part time but have had to stop trading as I am barely functioning at the moment, and will therefore go onto Income Support and my daughter will get a free nursery place. This will give me some very much needed time to myself (I will be using my 'lovely me time' to catch up on sleep so that I can be in the right place mentally to be the mum I want to be - not to go shopping, get my nails done or watch TV) Life is pretty tough right now, but I know other people have a harder time so I'm not trying to tell my big sob story. Just want to point out that those people who qualify for this funding do so because they - and their dc's - need extra support. NOT because they have been deemed to be a crap parent!!
By the way dreamingofsun, you're not actually Katie Hopkins, are you?

MrsMook Mon 02-Dec-13 15:37:30

My friend has been told that she'll be eligable for the free hours at 2. It will be a great help to her as being a wheelchair user, getting around with a young toddler is logisticly hard. That "me" time will make simple functions like appointments and shopping much simpler.

Another friend had it for her 2 year old due to her anxiety and aggrophobia issues.

pianodoodle Mon 02-Dec-13 15:50:46

We barely scrape by on my p/t hours and DH's f/t, but don't qualify for the 15 hours until DD is 3.

Frankly I'm glad! I imagine if we were in the situation of qualifying for that extra year we'd be in a much worse place than we are now, and I don't envy anyone who is.

I hope they take full advantage and their kids enjoy nursery.

TheBigJessie Mon 02-Dec-13 15:54:28

ZOMBIE THREAD!

nikaia60 Mon 02-Dec-13 16:09:36

Pretty appropriate really given my sleep situation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now