Feeling sick since I read this headline

(68 Posts)
blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:11:34

I was on a bus this morning as had an interview and picked up the metro newspaper which had the most awful headline, I am not going to repeat it here but available on the metro news website if you want to look.

Ever since I read it, I feel really sick and depressed. I have a young daughter myself and cant get the stupid headline out of my head.

I didn't read the article, I couldn't bear to but the damage has been done

AIBU that they shouldn't put headlines like that in newspapers?

NeedlesCuties Tue 03-Sep-13 19:31:48

OP, I agree with you, and think having this forum to discuss it in is a good thing.

I saw the headline when I was out shopping today with my DC2 and felt awful. I do think that the headline in huge letters was shocking, and too much content for the headline.

Viviennemary Tue 03-Sep-13 19:29:08

I am surprised at the amount of detail released during the trial and somebody on This Morning commenting about it. And every so often the person said oh but we must remember he hasn't been found guilty yet. And they had already made up their minds. That's how it seemed to me anyway. It was quite wrong I thought.

I think younger children might ask about the headline in question because it includes the word teddy. Though I don't think they should be given a totally rose-tinted view of the world, I would be quite sad if a young child learned about such cruelty in this way. As indeed, to a far greater extent, the child in question did sad

Bowlersarm Tue 03-Sep-13 16:56:51

OP I don't want an argument with you. I am just pointing out your initial post to start your thread is a little at odds with what you are trying to say.

To answer your questions directed at me- actually if something really upsets me in the news i find that, actually, I can't talk about it.

I don't know the headline of which you speak so I can't talk categorically about that. But in general I think young children wouldn't ask about it, but if older children do, then it's best that they ask it of you, their parent, so you can discuss it at a level you know they were capable of dealing with and are at hand to answer questions in an appropriate way. I'm talking a bit blindly here because you didn't link the headline you are talking about.

blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 16:44:21

Bowlersarm But the way the OP has phrased it is a bit like "........oh this is so disgusting, it's made me feel so sick I can't even think about it. Right let's all discuss it shall we?"

I am not saying lets discuss the crimes, I am saying is it really necessary to have such headlines

I am sure bowlersarm you have discussed matters that have upset you with others, I am sure you have not kept quiet about every matter that has upset you in your life.

Do we want young children reading those headlines and then asking about them?

TSSDNCOP Tue 03-Sep-13 16:15:27

I'm beginning to think the media is producing headlines like this as a consequence of having lauded certain celebrities over the past years that have now turned out to be paedophiles hiding in plain sight.

Yes they are sickening, but only fractionally as sickening as the crime they are reporting. Nowhere close as we should be sickened if the alleged crimes are proved through this trial to be true.

The cult of celebrity must not be allowed to cloak heinous crime. Did you read that two jurors recuse themselves after the judge asked the jury me members if they were certain they could disengage the accused from his TV alter ego. How can that even be possible?

Does such a headline make consumers buy the paper in question over another? Probably not.

Should heinous crimes be reported, whether their existence upsets us or not. Hell yes.

Bowlersarm Tue 03-Sep-13 15:42:10

True Eldritch, I think it's good to be able to discuss anything on here.

But the way the OP has phrased it is a bit like "........oh this is so disgusting, it's made me feel so sick I can't even think about it. Right let's all discuss it shall we?"

I read headlines that make me sick. They stay with me for days. Truly shocking things. The last thing I could do is talk about it.

That's all. (Btw I haven't looked at the story because I expect I will be shocked so actually can't discuss it with any sort of opinion)

Auntfini Tue 03-Sep-13 15:41:18

Actually I think the headline the op's referring to is actually about voyeuristic, just the way it's titled.

EldritchCleavage Tue 03-Sep-13 15:37:04

Why can't we discuss whether we think these kinds of stories should be covered in this way, and what it would mean if they weren't? That's all OP is really doing.

I'm not saying onesleep doesn't have a point at all (though very unpleasantly expressed) but there are counter-arguments to that.

Like, sensationalising these stories helps no one and is distasteful, and in the end, aren't people rather desensitised (rather than galvanised into action) by this kind of coverage? I worry about how people look for a harder and harder 'impact' and more and more detail on a lot of news stories, from casualties in war zones to graphic scenes of car accidents to the story we're talking about here. Not sure it is a good thing.

sweetiepie1979 Tue 03-Sep-13 15:23:00

The sun have the same or similar headline, I walked into shop and it was spread across 4 rows. It's a horrible headline, I feel yuck since seeing it I've got a child and in 35 weeks pregnant it really made me sick to the stomach.

Bowlersarm Tue 03-Sep-13 15:22:24

I sort of understand where onesleep is coming from (I think!)

It's all in the news for people to see. It's like vouyerism/sensationalism/rubber necking to be discussing it and the details on here now.

I haven't been following it myself, but if he's guilty he'll pay the price. If he's not guilty he'll pay the price. Just a grim situation all round.

Pawprint Tue 03-Sep-13 15:22:18

I'm the same. Anything about child abuse or animal cruelty - breaks my heart. At least it does spur me to donate to a relevant charity, that's the only positive.

GrassIsntGreener Tue 03-Sep-13 15:18:33

Why are people being so rude and nasty to the original poster? Hope none of you are like that in real life. If you're sat with someone watching the news and something awful comes on, you never make a comment that it's upsetting?

For heavens sake.hmm

MollyHooper Tue 03-Sep-13 15:12:18

Really?

Because you seem to be getting something out of trying to make the OP feel like crap.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 15:05:54

Nope, quite a productive day, actually. Just detest feeding off others misery.

LeBFG Tue 03-Sep-13 14:59:07

There must be something going on in Onesleep's life to make her so vitriolic today hmm.

MollyHooper Tue 03-Sep-13 14:58:00

But her upset is about her. It's not hypocritical and voyeuristic to talk about it.

As I said she has her reasons and has no obligation to tell you about it.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 14:52:38

If it supposedly upsets you enough to make you feel sick and unable to mention it then why the hell would you be starting and posting on a thread about it. Hypocritical and voyeuristic to be using it in that way. If she'd come on and said isn't it shocking and upsetting, then yes, but to make it all about her is just nauseating.

onesleep you are being cruel.

If it was similar to the Guardian's headline then I can imagine that it was awful. The one in the G brought tears to my eyes before I'd even read the article.

It's dreadful to read but life is full of dreadful things and we have to face them. I felt similarly about the pictures f the Chinese baby found in the drain-they stayed with me for weeks. I'm sorry you were upset OP.

Auntfini Tue 03-Sep-13 14:46:17

I think the reference to the teddybear in the headline itself was very, very hard to stomach.
Awful case.

MollyHooper Tue 03-Sep-13 14:45:52

What's your beef wembley?

The OP has posted because she is upset, she has her own reasons for this.

Why should that annoy you?

EldritchCleavage Tue 03-Sep-13 14:43:36

Where is the hypocrisy?

BoozyBear Tue 03-Sep-13 14:42:42

as he is on trial not proven guilty, i dont think ANY of the case details ought to be made public.

Even if he's cleared, mud sticks.

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 14:32:34

Think it's the OP that needs to.

You need to get over yourself Wembly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now