To spend this much on a pair of boots?!?

(99 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Mon 02-Sep-13 16:18:45

Pros

They are beautiful
Hardy
Waterproof
Sturdy
Beautiful
Are £50 off from last year.

Cons? They are still £125

I don't normally spend that kind of money in myself however...
The army issue para boots I have been wearing for the last 4 years are almost dead so I'm looking to replace them with something fitted and easier to take off.

I do need quality boots as I live in Scotland (nuff said!) I am not generally a shoe collector and literally wear my boots every day that its too cold for sandal (except driving lessons which I have pumps for)

As to can I afford it, I suppose so. I have been budgeting hard and so have been putting money away for winter essentials.

However I don't have the money to waste iyswim.

So give it to me straight... An I being hopelessly selfish and I'm blinded by love if these boots (in black, with red laces, swoon) or a they a worthy investment, which I will treasure and value for years to come.

Has anyone tried them? Are they as good as the reviews?

HerrenaHarridan Mon 02-Sep-13 17:40:31

From the merrell site I think they do go up to a 9? I'm an 8 and they do that.

Usually I just go to army surplus stores and spend £20 on combat boots. They do last quite well but there is no support. And they are an utter pita to take off, especially if wet and muddy.

The only worry is, I've quite wide feet, I wonder if that will be a problem?

Halfahundred Mon 02-Sep-13 17:43:19

I like those boots OP. I have quite wide feet too. Did you buy them?

PharaohHound Mon 02-Sep-13 17:45:11

Don't think of it as spending £125, because you would otherwise probably spend, say, £60 on inferior boots. So, getting these is just spending an extra £65... sounds better?

; )

I quite want these now

samu2 Mon 02-Sep-13 18:00:49

I bought a pair of Cats for the same price and they are still going strong years later.

Well made boots last long and are worth every penny.

5madthings Mon 02-Sep-13 18:01:02

ooh very nice. i have some merrel boots and they are def worth the money. i have had mine for years, about eight years?!

i like those and am very tempted myself!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 02-Sep-13 18:02:13

OP I bought a pair of Merrell winter boots 4 years ago, and they are still going strong despite having been worn and worn and worn and worn. Definitely worth the money IMO.

I do go up half a size because I have quite wide feet.

MrsAMerrick Mon 02-Sep-13 18:04:44

Cost per wear is what you need to focus on. If you will be wearing them almost daily and they last for 4 years then they are a bargain at that price. If they don't really feel comfortable, you don't wear then very often and they fall apart after a year then they are overpriced.
I buy all my boots from Duo, which makes them expensive at face value, but they fit like a glove (obviously!) and last for ages. I bought a much cheaper pair in the Clarkes sale last year, as I was feeling broke, but they looked awful on, I rarely wore them and they ended up in a charity shop after about 6 wears. So, although they were 1/3 the price, they were relatively much more expensive than the Duo ones. And no, I'm not on commission from Duo!!

HerrenaHarridan Mon 02-Sep-13 18:13:15

Eeeeeek! Yes, I just did I was re reading slathering over the reviews and one says they have wide feet and are perfect.

Amazon incl prime delivery so I should be able to report back v quickly

thought I should get on with it in case you lot bought them all gringrin

Oooooo so excited, I can't believe it, I have NEVER spent that much on an item of clothing before smile

They're (new) on eBay for £69:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=190737716480

CruCru Mon 02-Sep-13 18:27:55

Look great. I might get a pair.

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 02-Sep-13 18:31:51

I would spend a lot on a pair of boots I wear all the time. I bought a pair of Merrel snow boots last winter and did not have cold feet all winter. Well worth the money!

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Sep-13 18:36:59

Picture yourself in 2 or 3 months's time. It is cold, wet, windy, snow begining to fall and you are walking the dog/watch your dc play sport/running for the bus/etc and you are wearing last years trainers. Your feet are wet and frozen, and it's making you miserable. The Good Fairy comes along and says.... "So Hernena - would you spend £125 to feel warm and happy now?" and for the next 10 years? eh? eh?"

SunnyL Mon 02-Sep-13 18:40:14

I bought Merrel snow boots last year and also live in Scotland. Best investment Ive made in years. Nuff said.

Lweji Mon 02-Sep-13 19:14:02

£125 for a pair of good boots is quite good.

I thought you were going to say 500 or more.

Usually it pays up to buy good quality clothes and footwear. I usually get a good few years of wear off decent stuff.

ViviDeBeauvoir Mon 02-Sep-13 19:19:29

If you're a 5 or 5.5:

here

HerrenaHarridan Mon 02-Sep-13 19:50:38

Yes if your a size 3.5 - 4 you can get them half the price.

They have a couple of size 8s on eBay second hand but not enough knocked off to make it worth not having the warranty.

I've done it now and I am promising myself to remember to appreciate it all winter. (Which seems to have already started up here sad)

littlemog Mon 02-Sep-13 20:00:48

Do it! Good make, stylish and will last forever. What's not to love?

Foxred10 Mon 02-Sep-13 20:04:05

Merrell boots are amazing - you will def get your monies worth out of those

makemineamalibuandpineapple Mon 02-Sep-13 20:06:47

Personally I don't like them but I paid £85 for some fur lined boots two years ago and they will still be fine for this winter. Best to pay more for quality.

LEMisdisappointed Mon 02-Sep-13 20:08:52

I buy all of my clothes from charity shops and scrimp and scrape because we are mostly skint, however, boots, boots is different! Those are lovely boots and thats a good price - buy them!

Saying that, i bought a pair of fly boots last year for the same price and the fecking sole fell off after a couple of months angry I love the way they look i certainly wont be buying that make again. I do love those boots on your link though, but i live in a South East and would probably need something less hardcore grin

cathpip Mon 02-Sep-13 20:09:28

13 years ago I paid what I considered to be an extortionate amount of money on some boots. £135 to be precise, it was half my weeks wages! Well I wouldn't pay the price that Moloh charge now for their knee high boots but mine are still worn daily and look as good as new, so I did get very good value for money. If you like them and will get the wear out of them, buy them....

LEMisdisappointed Mon 02-Sep-13 20:09:43

envy

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 02-Sep-13 20:19:37

I don't stint on winter coat and winter boots. Otherwise I basically dress in rags. grin

Thefallentowerofpisa Mon 02-Sep-13 20:32:19

I have Merrell Oslo boots and they were worth every penny and more. They've kept my very cold feet warm in extremely cold countries, been used as walking boots and are on their third or fourth Winter.

I'm sure you won't regret buying them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now