to want MIL and SIL to stay in a hotel

(92 Posts)
HollieHelen Mon 02-Sep-13 13:58:30

... and not in the living room of our small 3-bed terrace when they come over to stay for a week??
We have no living area when they're staying and everything gets very tense / claustrophobic.
DH has accused me of being inhospitable (fair comment) BUT I have done some unforgivable things to him this past year and have a lot of making up to do.
Just can't stand the thought of the invasion though ...

HollieHelen Mon 02-Sep-13 13:59:16

should have said all bedrooms are full and DCs don't share as DS is up stupid early and wakes DD.

Makqueen Mon 02-Sep-13 14:04:25

I have the same problem.

We live in a small flat and my dad always wants to sleep on the sofa, it drives me bonkers and next time I am going to have to tell him to stay elsewhere. We only have a small living room and with his bags etc it's too claustrophobic.

ceebie Mon 02-Sep-13 14:07:36

How many kids do you have?

We have a 3-bed house (2 doubles, 1 single) and 2 DCs, yet we still manage to fit DSis, BIL, and 2 DN's in the bedrooms. I love having them to stay.

ceebie Mon 02-Sep-13 14:09:34

meant to say our DS is up early too, so we have him on his own in the smallest room, DD on a mattress on the floor in our room, and guests in other room. Perhaps your rooms are smaller, but we manage to make it work.

Would you pay for them to stay in a local B&B or hotel?

LoganMummy Mon 02-Sep-13 14:11:25

Could one of the DC not share your room? Would that work?

Personally I'd tell them to book into a B&B if it was for more than one night.

HollieHelen Mon 02-Sep-13 14:13:41

yes I would be happy for us to pay but DH feels that they would feel hurt. We have 2 DCs.
This will sound awful but SIL is terrible houseguest with no hygiene and any room they sleep in needs deep cleaning - wouldn't want to do that to DD!! The bathroom was unrecognisable last time they left.

HollieHelen Mon 02-Sep-13 14:14:19

always more than one night as they come over from France, so at least a week.

Crinkle77 Mon 02-Sep-13 18:51:31

YANBU. It will also be awkward for them. They won't be able to go to bed until you do and they will get woken up in the mornings.

chrome100 Mon 02-Sep-13 18:53:32

Hmm...we live in a small flat and always have a host of people crash in the living room. I really don't mind, it's not for long and they are adults so go to bed when we do.

mynewpassion Mon 02-Sep-13 18:54:13

How bad are these unforgivable things that warrant him to want you to clean messy bathrooms?

YANBU. Your house, your rules.

fluffyraggies Mon 02-Sep-13 19:01:39

There's always loads of threads like this around xmas usually.

''Umpteen members of family want to stay over in our 4ft x 4ft house and i'm dreading it.''

2 types of response, usually 50/50:

1) YANBU - your house, your rules, point them in the direction of a B&B with a big smile.

2) Miserable cow! I love having umpteen members of the family squashed into my house and it's only 2ft x 2ft.

grin

Serialdrinker Mon 02-Sep-13 19:07:23

I just want to know what bad stuff you've done, sounds juicy!

primroseyellow Mon 02-Sep-13 19:10:03

In recent times I have either booked relatives into local hotel, or suggested that they do if they want to stay over. It's worked well so far, relieved the stress all round, and avoided anyone having to move rooms. I do offer lifts to/from hotel in evening and morning usually for non-drivers.

It sounds like you just don't like them, tbh, though if your SIL is a bit whiffy I can't say I blame you. If, as you say, you'd be happy to pay for them to stay in a hotel, could you perhaps compromise and have them at yours for half the time and hotel the other half, but dress it up as a treat?

And whatever. Let's be knowing about the bad stuff. grin

motherinferior Mon 02-Sep-13 19:11:09

You've forgotten 'I'd sleep on bare floorboards with nothing but a scraggy towel to cover me if I had to'....

friday16 Mon 02-Sep-13 19:15:58

"You've forgotten 'I'd sleep on bare floorboards with nothing but a scraggy towel to cover me if I had to'...."

You've forgotten that old MSE favourite "I wish I had a mother to tell to stay in a hotel, when yours dies you'll wish you'd had her sleeping every night in your bed while you curled up in the dishwasher".

justmyview Mon 02-Sep-13 19:19:39

YABU, it's only a week.

Salmotrutta Mon 02-Sep-13 19:31:00

TravelinColour - "your house, your rules" should only apply if the OP is the sole owner.

Presumably her DH gets a say if he owns it too?

Salmotrutta Mon 02-Sep-13 19:32:45

And OP - do you go over to France and stay with them at all?

It always sounds very inhospitable to me to send people to hotels. It's only a week, not a month!

fluffyraggies Mon 02-Sep-13 19:32:52

Friday - gringrin

marriedinwhiteisback Mon 02-Sep-13 21:01:09

Happy to put anyone up here except SIL and her vandals providing no-oe sleeps in living rooms. It mattered when we had 2.5 bedrooms and no children and SIL2 and her partner invited his brother and wife to sleep on my sitting room floor. Oh yes.

Chottie Mon 02-Sep-13 21:19:19

It's your home and you want to feel comfortable. The only people who stay with us are DD, her BF and GS and DS.

DD and DS sleep in their childhood bedrooms. We changed DD bed for a double and put in a cot bed for GS. I love them staying but I don't think I could do other people.

BackforGood Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:44

I'm in the 'it's inhospitable' camp, but then I don't have relations that would stay a full week. Nor that have questionable hygiene. That said, if you have 3 bedrooms, then I do think YABU to not put the children in together for the time they are here, or bring one of them in with you. To live in a 3 bedroomed house and say you've not got room for your MiL and SiL when they travel from another country to see you sounds very inhospitable to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now