URGENT: AIBU to panic?

(61 Posts)
PeaceAndHope Thu 29-Aug-13 23:13:38

Right.

I never knew that a mobile phone contract could make me so anxious.

I had a sim only contract with o2. Last year I went on holiday for about 4 months and I didn't cancel the contract because direct debit payments had been set and I was happy to pay even if I wasn't using the phone just to keep my contract going.

It seems that there was an issue with my account and I was they were unable to take the payment.

When I returned and tried to re-activate my account, they refused and said that my details were with a "third party" and since they had already disconnected my number, they didn't want the payment.

Fair enough! I was busy with other things and I simply switched to a new provider and never thought about it again.

Today I checked back into my o2 online account (because I wanted to see what my old number used to be) and I saw that I still have a payment outstanding. confused

I am not comfortable with this because it just looks really bad.

My DH has now terrified me by telling me the third party was likely a debt collection agency and this stuff is now on my credit report.

My question is, if it was a debt collection agency, why haven't they contacted me in all these months?? Why haven't o2 contacted me??

And is this really serious or am I worrying over nothing?

MollyBerry Thu 29-Aug-13 23:41:53

No

AlyssB Thu 29-Aug-13 23:43:57

I used to work in HR for a financial body and for one default on a small amount you'd be fine. If this is the only issue you'll be fine. If there is anything else however it could change the decision & also dependant on what role you are doing.

from a quick google, checking your own credit score has no effect on the score.

www.experian.com/ask-experian/20060503-the-effect-on-credit-scores-when-you-check-your-own-credit-report.html

teacherandguideleader Thu 29-Aug-13 23:46:03

I had a debt a few years ago that I didn't know I had (long story short - ex-bf said he'd paid £10 into my account - I trusted him but he hadn't so a payment bounced. It was an account I didn't use so I didn't check - the company had my address details wrong and only bothered to track me down when the debt had grown to over 1.5K in interest fees).

When I found out about it they offered me a variety of repayment schemes - the quickest one had the least consequence on my credit rating. I had to go with the middle one, but even then I didn't end up with a CCJ.

craftycottontail Thu 29-Aug-13 23:47:24

No not harmful - go to experian and you can get it for free if you cancel your account within a month (put a reminder in your diary)

kali110 Thu 29-Aug-13 23:51:14

If its gone to a debt collection it will affect your file. I worked within banking sector and anything like that would have been a straight no no from any employer in that area. As you've changed address and didn't contact them within those few months then when they sold your debt on the collection agency may not have your new contact details so possible they have been trying to contact you

PeaceAndHope Thu 29-Aug-13 23:57:21

sad

WilsonFrickett Fri 30-Aug-13 00:01:11

Tbh the biggest issue will be you not being on the electoral roll. I'd get that sorted tomorrow.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 30-Aug-13 00:05:10

Yanbu. I've just received a CCJ for the woman who owned our house before we bought it. This is despite me returning the claim form to court marked 'not known at this address'. They made fuck all attempt to locate her and proceeded anyway. The judgment is for less than £150. I will be serious fucked off if bailiffs come round looking for her.
Contact your mobile provider again and insist on sorting it out. These things do not go away.

Feckbloodypets Fri 30-Aug-13 00:10:19

Credit check companies must have changed. Used to work in the banking industry then went to work in the public sector dealing with financials up until last year and at that time every time your credit rating is checked it is recorded and can effect your rating. This is because there is no such thing as a credit rating, different companies check your credit history and apply their own logic to the information that is available and the more checks some of these companies see the more they think you have applied for things like credit cards and may have been turned down.

kali110 Fri 30-Aug-13 00:20:21

If it has gone to debt agency then it will have allready affected your credit. If your phone company writ off the debt and passed it to the agency then it can stay on credit file for up to 7 years. Find out who has taken your debt on as some if cant find you will sell your debt onto another agency.

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 00:34:28

FeckBloodyPets

I think it depends on who checks the rating. If a lender checks it repeatedly, it goes down. But everywhere I've read, it says that anyone can check their own report as many times as they want.

MollyBerry Fri 30-Aug-13 03:11:17

Feckbloodypets

If you apply for something, yes, it does affect your rating but if you are just personally checking it then that doesn't count as a credit search.

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 05:19:32

I don't know. Some posters are saying that they know of people who were given a ccj without realising it because they moved.

Others are telling me that debt collectors will find any way to track someone down and that they can't really file ccj unless they can prove that they're being deliberately ignored.

Besides, they still have my email and social media sites? I wonder why they have't gotten in touch over so many months?

It's an honest mistake. As the others said, contact O2, check your credit files, contact the debt company and pay it off. Are you waiting for a job offer right now? Maybe you can get this sorted with a note on your file to say you moved and so weren't aware of the debt before you apply?

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 09:10:47

^That's what I am trying to do right now.

I am just crossing my fingers that there isn't a county court judgement.

kali110 Fri 30-Aug-13 11:26:45

Do you need a completely clean file or just no defaults or ccjs? If a completely clean then you may need to speak to your employer and explain as even if they offer and then do a credit check they may let you go if your file isnt clean.

kali110 Fri 30-Aug-13 11:34:26

Plus courts have to send forms to state that a creditor is applying for a ccj against you however if they dont reach you then sometimes they can be issued in your absence.

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 11:59:55

Update:

Contacted debt collection agency and paid off debt. They said it would show on my credit report as "debt satisfied" in a few days.

I asked and they said they hadn't been to court, or tried to obtain a ccj against me. Can I take their word for it?

I reckon that if the matter had been reported to a court, I couldn't have just paid them over the phone and they would have asked me to go via the court to make the payment.

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 12:01:47

kali

Since it isn't a very fancy post, they haven't given me any details about it.

I asked around and it appears that a ccj or bankruptcy would be a deal breaker, but anything other than that is usually OK.

Since it was a very small amount which has now been paid off, I reckon that it should be OK as long as they haven't been to court without my knowledge.

kali110 Fri 30-Aug-13 12:26:04

I hope so for you op its a terrible thing x

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 12:29:08

Do you reckon I can take their word for the fact that they haven't been to court? How would I double check if they are being truthful?

MollyBerry Fri 30-Aug-13 12:35:15

Check your credit report

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 12:37:35

I can't access it right now, that's why I can't be sure.

PeaceAndHope Fri 30-Aug-13 13:23:21

I've been told there's a website where you can pay a small fee to check court records.

Is it advisable for me to check my own records? I don't know if a self check counts against someone...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now