All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

(234 Posts)
difficultpickle Thu 29-Aug-13 22:47:07

AIBU to think that is what has happened in the House of Commons this evening?

Having listened to the debate today I am truly shocked and saddened by the outcome.

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 31-Aug-13 11:12:03

Yes, Saudi is scared of damaging relations with Iran, Jordan is weak and afraid of retaliation, there are many self-interested reasons why ARab countries and the Arab League are ignoring what is happening. They won't even support western intervention unequivocally with words. They won't join it and they won't back it and they'll no doubt condemn it when it all goes tits up.

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 31-Aug-13 11:14:19

And where's that overpaid useless Baroness Ashton and the Eu and their foreign that we're all apparently signing up to? Faffing about giving the odd press conference and keeping out of sight. Tony Blair, the Middle East envoy? Once again the people who are supposed to be the hated infidels are supposed to ride to the rescue, the sons of the hated infidels are expected to die without question.

complexnumber Sat 31-Aug-13 11:35:23

The silence from Syria's Arab neighbours is deafening.

(I live in one of them)

ShellyBoobs Sat 31-Aug-13 11:56:05

It's nothing to do with us.

Yes, we should cross to the other side of the road and look away as we walk past.

sad

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 31-Aug-13 12:06:21

The Arab world is doing this. What do you think of that Shellyboobs?

SubliminalMassaging Sat 31-Aug-13 12:19:51

But it's clearly ok for everybody except us to look away? hmm

Crumbledwalnuts Sat 31-Aug-13 12:24:57

Perhaps there's some subliminal culturalism or racism going on here. Perhaps "we" should know better, and we can't expect others to know better. I really, really hope that's not happening - but it's worth examining the process to see if this is at the heart of pro-interventionism.

difficultpickle Sat 31-Aug-13 15:12:29

Sorry, I should of course have asid 'as very widely reported in media outlets' rather than 'as we all know'. It has been very widely reported but of course if you haven't read it then of course you wouldn't know.

difficultpickle Sat 31-Aug-13 15:13:48

I wonder if the silence of neighbours is akin to the silence of African nations in respect of Zimbabwe. They don't want to get involved in case they are next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now