Cornflakes related...

(27 Posts)
woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:05:39

AIBU to want visitors to serve themselves cornflakes by pouring them into the bowl and not by plunging their (possibly unwashed) hands into the box and filling their bowls handful-by-handful? I haven't said anything, because I'm far too polite, but it's put me off eating cereal and I will want to throw away the rest of the box when these people finally leave.
So AIBU?

EeyoreIsh Sat 24-Aug-13 09:09:52

Ah the joys of foreign students staying. We went for an older guy last time (in his 60s) as we thought he may be better house trained than the kids.

He ate a jar of marmalade every four days. After a fortnight with us he still needed us to get him water as he couldn't 'remember' where the glasses were despite us telling him lots. And he spent over an hour in the bathroom every morning. His stay coincided with my worse period of morning sickness and we only have one bathroom, so it was a bit of a challenging fortnight for me!

Sadly, both our spare rooms are being redecorated so we can't take any students for a while.

The money does comes in handy though.

Any way, back to your students, I would certainly bin the corn flakes once they've left.

r3d3 Sat 24-Aug-13 09:02:13

I think give them a demo; if they're here to learn English it counts as a lesson in British culture. Almost.

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:53:53

I've already delivered the 'fruit lecture' bluestocking, ie. "if you don't want fruit in your lunchboxes just bloody well tell me! It is wasteful and hygienic to leave a binful of festering, untouched fruit in your bedrooms."

Aargh!

Bluestocking Sat 24-Aug-13 08:38:28

I admire your restraint - I would have given them a short tutorial in the correct way to serve yourself a bowl of cereal, followed by a lecture on the evils of wasting food! Sounds like their own families haven't done much of a job of bringing them up.

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:37:54

One of my friends who took language students used to have felt tipped messages written in all sorts of places, top of toilet cistern, next to taps and (probably) on cereal boxes. It looked quite bonkers, but I'm starting to like the idea myself now...

Duct tape and big 'do not remove lid' message scrawled on top might work!

TravelinColour, exactly what I was about to suggest! I think I have a spare one that's not in use atm too. grin

Duck tape the sides down so they can't take the lid off!

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 24-Aug-13 08:29:37

This is inexplicable behaviour!

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:27:01

Oooh, I like that, but fear they might just remove the lid and plunge in as usual.

Decant them into one of those lock n lock containers with a pouring flap. Then they won't be able to fit their hands in.

Like this

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:20:18

Selection boxes shock
Surely only millionaires buy these?

Ledkr Sat 24-Aug-13 08:20:16

That is why I could never have students or lodgers! Vile.
Fil is a greedy git and although he does pour his cereal out he has to have two types in one bowl!
Only at my well stocked house though. At their house you get one box of harvest morn museli and some white toast and Marge hmm

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:19:39

Language student season is almost over, thank goodness! They are a bit of a mixed blessing all in all, but needs must...

<Butters toast...>

Yamyoid Sat 24-Aug-13 08:18:48

Or the fun size selection boxes!

Yamyoid Sat 24-Aug-13 08:17:26

Provide only shredded wheat, toast or weetabix. Cannot be dipped into smile

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:15:53

It is bizarre, Blustocking. I'm trying not to mention the fact that they also fill the bowl with milk first and then shove the cornflakes on top. When they are done with the cornflakes they leave half a bowl of milk for me to chuck down the sink - possibly about a litre between them.

fieldfare Sat 24-Aug-13 08:15:26

No! That's just wrong.
Yanbu for throwing the rest away once they've gone. Ewwww!

FriskyHenderson Sat 24-Aug-13 08:14:54

That's almost as bad as sticking a unwashed hand into the Kellogs box back when we could afford branded cereal to grab the toy out of it.

We call the pulverised cereal shrapnel.

FriskyHenderson Sat 24-Aug-13 08:14:33

That's almost as bad as sticking a unwashed hand into the Kellogs box back when we could afford branded cereal to grab the toy out of it.

We call the pulverised cereal shrapnel.

Fraggle3112 Sat 24-Aug-13 08:14:00

YANBU... These sound like house guests we have regularly (DH's friend) and they make me want to scream with their unhygienic ways!!!

Enjoy your toast grin

ElleBelly Sat 24-Aug-13 08:13:41

YANBU
That's very strange behaviour

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:13:35

No, visitors don't have good standards of personal hygiene IMO (18 year old language students).

I hadn't considered the broken flakes element, which makes the crime even worse grin

Bluestocking Sat 24-Aug-13 08:12:56

That is bizarre behaviour - is your visitor a caveman?

Gooseysgirl Sat 24-Aug-13 08:12:01

YANBU... It's up there with grotty hands in a bowl of peanuts, double dipping etc

KingRollo Sat 24-Aug-13 08:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woollyideas Sat 24-Aug-13 08:08:43

Sorry, obviously I should have put a 'trivial' warning in the title.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now