to be so upset - after all it's only a haircut

(84 Posts)

4yo DD had shoulder length blonde ringlets - until this morning. She has never had her haircut and it has taken more than 4 years to get her hair this length.
Then, this morning, disaster! We went to a friends house and 2 little girls decided to play hairdressers in said friends bedroom, cue kids paper scissors and one cropped head! sad I can't believe how upset I am by this, it is a mess! understatement of the year Hairdresser can't do anything about the front, less than an inch long in most places, in some places more like an eighth of an inch. The back is better than the front, with the length in the centre untouched but the sides have all gone. (have been advised to keep the length for now and tie it into a very sad looking ponytail). I have been crying and think that I am being ridiculous, but everytime I look at her I think she looks like a shorn sheep. So AIBU or would you feel the same way?

Coconutty Thu 08-Aug-13 19:44:34

Aww, she's cute.

I think I would get the back cut tbh rather than keep messing about with clips and pony tails. She has a lovely face and will look good with a crop.

That's what I thought, Coconutty but she got really upset at the thought of having short hair. Shame she didn't think of that before! grin. Having said that, in all fairness, she's never been to a hairdresser in her life (I don't even have my own hair cut!) and had no idea what her friend was going to do. She didn't have a mirror.

pongping Thu 08-Aug-13 20:00:12

That is some AWESOME hair! grin

pongping Thu 08-Aug-13 20:01:19

Meant to add - I did the same thing at a similar age. I love the photo my parents took of the evidence.

musicposy Thu 08-Aug-13 20:03:04

Oh she's so, so cute and adorable, even with the dodgy haircut. I'd leave it a couple of months and then she'll have a bit of a fringe and it will look much better.

DD1 did this at age 5. Took to her hair with the scissors for some bizarre reason known only to herself and cut random sections all over her head to almost scalp length. I was pretty upset too!

It took about a year before she had all over shoulder length hair, but after a month or two it was much better. She's 17 now and has glorious almost waist length hair (which she's had for years) and both of us laugh about it. She still can't tell me why she did it!

The first thing I noticed when looking at your DD was her cheeky smile and how cute she is, so try not to worry too much.

diddl Thu 08-Aug-13 20:08:30

I'd have to cut the back-it's too mullety!

But I wouldn't crop it all.

She's a little cute girl-so what if she has uneven hair for a while?

She is pretty cute isn't she blush grin

Nagoo Fri 09-Aug-13 13:35:02

It's edgy smile She had the attitude to pull that off grin

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 09-Aug-13 18:28:58

Aaaww she is very sweet. I think you're right, opt for a crop and then grow it out from there. She'll look lovely anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now