To have a bloody good rummage in my ear with a cotton bud?

(115 Posts)
Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:43:13

I'm going insane. It is SO. FUCKING. ITCHY. I'm climbing the walls.

I've had an ear infection since Tuesday. It's crippling. Been to GP twice and on anti b's plus nurofen / codeine / paracetamol. The left side of my face is swollen. Even hurts to bloody eat.

Obviously advice is to not stick anything in the ear but if I was gentle would I get away with a little ninja scratching session or would it make it worse? confused

my love of ear digging is absolutely not the reason I am in this situation in the first place

PetWoman Sat 03-Aug-13 20:46:01

What about some warm olive oil?

CharlieCoCo Sat 03-Aug-13 20:46:17

your not meant to (and i do know someone who has burst their ear drum and is deaf in one ear from it) but i cant function properly without sticking a bud in my ear each day.

PetWoman Sat 03-Aug-13 20:47:42

In your ear, I mean. Obviously.

Can't do any harm and might soothe it for a bit. Worth a try, right?

YABU.

Use a Kirkby grip.

It's much more satisfying!

Bumply Sat 03-Aug-13 20:49:56

I have been known to stick a bud in my ear even though I know you're not supposed to.
Not sure I would when the ear was infected, though. Won't it be über sensitive?

Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:50:31

petwoman What is olive oil supposed to do?

A Kirkby grip?? I just want to itch the damn thing not scratch the fuck out of it grin

betterthanever Sat 03-Aug-13 20:51:22

I use them, it is wrong and I have already caused a bit of damage in the past, I should know better....
There is a spray you can get as often the itching is refered from an inner ear or even throat issue .. I will still use them though smile

Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:51:35

bumply Yeah it is mega sensitive but the tickling deep inside (ooh err) is just unbearable.

I'm going for it. Wish me and my ear canal luck.

Passmethecrisps Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:08

Go on. There re few things more satisfying than a good old ear rummage.

My granny used to use kirby grips. You left them lying and found them caked in ear grease when you came back <shudders>

Corygal Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:10

The itching might be the abcess asking to be burst....

Clean out a kirby grip with a squirt of antibac and start with a teasing tickle.

BLISS.

Nottalotta Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:27

Just wiggle the cotton bud in! I have to once or twice daily. Never did me any harm!

filee777 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:47

A hair grip with cotton wool wound around it tight is much less likely to come off in your ear

Moln Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:56

nothing like a good rummage. gently of course

RobinSparkles Sat 03-Aug-13 20:53:01

I always do! I wear HAs and my ears get soooo itchy.

ClayDavis Sat 03-Aug-13 20:53:37

I really really wouldn't if it's already infected. You could end up making it a whole lot worse. How long have you been on the antibiotics for?

Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:57:11

Ok I had a little scratch. Excruciating

Won't be doing that again.

Clay Been on them since Tues.

Chottie Sat 03-Aug-13 20:57:23

OP don't do it.

You know you shouldn't, don't you?

Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:58:20

Yes I know. But I still did it.

story of my life

OHforDUCKScake Sat 03-Aug-13 21:03:01

cheesly if they arent working you need a swan and them to send it off and treat it for the exact bacteria that it is.

I had an ear infection for 8 weeks one christmas, non stop because we were treating it with 'general' anti B's rather than the ones specific to the infection. It needed drops in the end the tablets didnt do anything.

You cant leave it and antibiotics should absolutely have worked by now. You should have begun to notice a difference after 48 hours.

Josie314 Sat 03-Aug-13 21:03:29

This thread has made my ears itchy!!

Hope you get some relief OP.

OHforDUCKScake Sat 03-Aug-13 21:03:34

*swab

That's a long time for them not to have had an effect. I get ear infections about every 3 months. Often caused by eczema in my ear which itches like hell. Have they prescribed you drops with hydrocortisone or similar in them? Usually sofradex or gentisone I think. These are the only ones that work for me. It would be worth going back because it doesn't sound like whatever they are giving you is working!

Oh and olive oil is good....softens the wax and it will come out eventually, and should help with the itching too

Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 21:05:36

I am on the drops - Locorten Vioform (?? confused )

Saw out of hours GP today and she said they may take some more time to kick in and has upped the frequency I need to use them.

The challenge is keeping the bloody things in my ear.

Lazybones12 Sat 03-Aug-13 21:06:22

The inside of your ear house lots of little hairs that protect the ear internally. Regular use of cotton buds erode these hairs and make you more prone to ear infections. Step away from the ear buds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now