to think working full time will be the easier option?

(29 Posts)
Reality Sat 03-Aug-13 10:00:04

I've done 11 years now of working either part time or working from home and therefore doing full on parenting.

I'm exhausted. We've just got back from a week away, and while I enjoyed it it just felt a bit like the same old real life but in a different place. I am around my children all day every day. I cook, I clean, I referee arguments, I organise, I think for everybody all the time. DH is great, but because I'm here every day it all falls to me by default.

I've had enough of it. I start my new job in a couple of weeks, working 9-6 Monday to Friday. I will drop all three DC at the CM at 8.30 and then go to work with grown ups and not think about children until 6pm, when I will come home to my dinner on the table. DH is home at 4, he'll pick up the kids, keep house, cook dinner, do the shopping, take over the thinking.

I have the idea that it's going to be a lovely rest from doing all the shitwork, and then I can enjoy spending weekends with the family without feeling wrung out from spending all week with them.

AIBU? Or deluded?

pianodoodle Sat 03-Aug-13 11:09:14

A change is as good as a rest etc... Good luck smile

Radishrobin - My fear is that whilst DH would clean / cook / referee, it would still be up to me to do all the thinking and organising and remembering

This might be my concern too although I think that would always be the case no matter what we were both doing. Good luck to your DH as well!

Doshusallie Sat 03-Aug-13 11:16:18

I work full time in a stressful full on sales job.

We have a childminder for both boys who are at school, 4 days a week, I pick up on Fridays and work around them, which allows for play dates etc.

I can also work from home sometimes.

I resigned and left work on July 8th, and start my new job on September 9th. So I have had an insight into what it would be like being a sahm in term time and school holidays.

Personally I am torn. While they were still at school I couldn't believe how quickly 3pm rolled around. I had time to go to the gym which was fantastic, but once you've done that, showered, had lunch, done some jobs, it's time to pick them up from school! I am used to not collecting them till 6.... I also think I would get bored not working if they were at school.

Since the holidays started we have had great fun, seeing friends, lots of lovely long walks, days out, hanging out together. But I have found them hard work, they argue a lot and I have lost my temper a few times. I am drinking more!! I have adored the opportunity to do a whole summer holidays with them, unlikely to ever be able to do it again to be honest, but I am looking forward to earning money again working, having the challenge, whilst being terrified at the same time of the new job.

So lots of pros and cons....

Doshusallie Sat 03-Aug-13 11:17:02

When i am working I do all the washing, send my ironing away and have a cleaner. Dh cooks.

peteypiranha Sat 03-Aug-13 13:02:11

I have a 5 year old and 1 year old and am working 48 hours a week. I am really enjoying at the moment as have hardly any house work or boring stuff, and my social life is continually improving. I am enjoying it much more than I did my maternity. I find it better as dh does lots for me as Im working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now