to think you cant judge a book by its cover!

(57 Posts)
ineedtogetoutmore Wed 31-Jul-13 20:22:07

Dh and I have been saving for a few years for a caravan and have managed to save enough for a pretty decent van. We are in our mid 20's and dress pretty hippie so possibly don't look like typical caravan types...we want one so we can take dd all over the UK and Europe to explore.
We saw Glossop Caravan advertised on Tv so made a 2 hour journey to go there and have a look at what they had.

We were looking round and saw a camper can (which I would prefer) so dh and I went inside to look around. While we were in the an older looking gentleman came into the van looking pretty mad at us and asked why we were inside? We told him we were looking for a caravan / camper and just wanted to see inside (all the vans and campers were open for viewing as was this) he then said in quite an accusing way why are the keys in the van? Apparently they were on the front seat we hadn't noticed. I told him he should perhaps ask his staff why as we had come in to look around.

He then said what are you doing here, so I said looking for a caravan. And he said to me and you think you can afford one of ours do you? (we could) so I said we'd seen some within our budget. So he demanded to know my budget., so I just told him it depended on how much we liked the van. Which was vague but he was being so rude.

I walked away to look at other vans and he disappeared to talk to a younger. Man who also worked there. This man then.came over to tell me he had some great vans to show us we went along and he took us to another part of the center where he proceeded to show us the most disgusting smelly used vans ever. He tried to sell us one for £600 that stunk of smoke, had mold on the wall and a dirty carpet that needed replacing. In fact the best thing anyone could have done with this van was scrap it. I thanked the man and said its not quite what I had in mind at which point he tried to secure the sale by throwing in a used toilet!

Now I know from the way I chose to dress I.e. jeans and tops I possibly don't look like the richest girl in the world but am I bu in thinking this company should have been a little less judgemental of younger people buying a caravan as tbh they'd have probably sold the camper to us today but now I will never go back there.

Talkinpeace Sat 03-Aug-13 19:18:01

many many moons ago I lived in a rather odd rented house
one night DH and our housemates wandered up to the pub. I stayed in to watch the end of Morse.
Then started wandering up, car pulls up alongside me (you can guess the type of area) I kept walking as I had a pint waiting for me.
Suddenly a warrant card is flashed in my face "vice squad"
Ha ha says me, how many tarts wear top hats and sunglasses at night
we don't believe you
ok, give me a lift to the pub then
instead they followed me - crawling along at walking pace till I indeed went into the pub
they looked SO disappointed

Bogeyface Sat 03-Aug-13 14:29:11

No, very married to man who I hope for his sake never cheats on her grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 03-Aug-13 13:21:26

Is your sister single?
[girl crush]

Bogeyface Sat 03-Aug-13 13:17:37

Sadly not, I think we would have been chucked out. It is my second favourite story about her, my favourite being the time she got her squaddie ex (who cheated on her) the nickname Clap Craig because she told his CO that CC had given her an STI. He hadnt, but he had to have some very nasty tests in order to find out! grin

I love my sister!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 03-Aug-13 13:11:52

please tell me she kept adding more stuff to the pile.

I am SO going to do this.

I almost want to get followed now! grin

Bogeyface Sat 03-Aug-13 13:01:45

Yeah he did! It was marvellous, I would never have dared to do it but she is fearless grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 03-Aug-13 12:57:02

Bogeyface - that is brilliant! What did he do? Did he follow you round carrying the stuff for you?

KnitMinion Sat 03-Aug-13 00:14:32

I was at a Nissan garage once, looking to buy a new car - was with DH and DS and also a friend and her DS because she was looking to buy a new car too.

We must have been there for a good 45 minutes, looking at the various cars, trying out all the boots to see if my wheelchair would fit, trying to see if I could get in and out of each car etc - and in that whole time, not 1 member of staff came to speak to any of us.

So we left, went to Citroen and bought 2 cars from them instead grin

Bogeyface Fri 02-Aug-13 22:40:15

I am tatty on the outside too! I think I may have missed the point a bit then.... grin

cjel Fri 02-Aug-13 22:10:51

Ha Ha bogey, I think the idea is not to choose a book because of shiny pictures, because the tatty ones have been more loved so are probably better!! Thats my excuse for being tatty on the outsidesmile

Bogeyface Fri 02-Aug-13 20:41:03

Oh and pictures, they have pictures too which help.

Bogeyface Fri 02-Aug-13 20:40:36

Can I just ask something?

Arent you supposed to judge a book by its cover? I mean, it has the writing on the back or on the sleeve. Isnt that sort of the point?

hollyisalovelyname Fri 02-Aug-13 17:17:08

Same with the snooty assistants in designer shops and concessions in department stores. Whi do they think they are????

LessMissAbs Fri 02-Aug-13 14:18:03

cjel re BMW We went once on a saturday to try and test drive with really excited ddc and were told they didn't do test drives on saturdays as serious buyers don't shop on saturdays!

My DH had the same experience with BMW, and he was dressed smartly and turned up in an S class Mercedes and had actually booked a test car over the weekend! Waste of time as it "wasn't available" when he turned up to collect it. We suspect that the test cars actually go home with the staff at weekends.

Mercedes is an entirely different matter and this is why I still drive them. I turned up once, without an appointment, in my usual running gear and muddy trainers, and was given an E class to test drive for 36 hours and staff were very helpful. I did buy one in the end. The sales talk wasn't pushy either. I like to make up my own mind.

I was quite shocked at BMW tbh. They seemed very odd. Who on earth do they sell cars to? It was very off putting and disorganised.

Back to the OP - my tendency is towards scruffiness, via my running gear. I do sometimes make an effort if going somewhere new though as it can create a good impression. I don't see why you should bother with this for a bloody caravan park though!

Talkinpeace Fri 02-Aug-13 13:36:36

funny, my un named dealer was indeed a BMW one wink

guiltyconscience Fri 02-Aug-13 11:56:50

OH bless you my lovely take no notice what wankers!

DanceLikeJohnTravoltaNow Fri 02-Aug-13 11:52:23

It amazes me that some salespeople are like this. Even if they think you cant afford it, what do they think gives them the right to comment?

My parents don't dress to impress, but are loaded and have bought cars and houses with cash in the past, but my mum was told by a snooty sales assistant in debenhams that she couldn't afford some perfume because it was 'very expensive'. Mum was buying perfume gift sets for 5 people that day and went to Boots instead.

SsimTee Fri 02-Aug-13 11:01:20

Similar thing happened to my husband when he was younger. Went into one car dealership where he got taken the mickey out of so he walked out and went straight to another dealership almost opposite. Bought a brand new car from there with CASH. He then went back to the first dealership and showed them his receiptsmile

Midlifecrisisarefun Fri 02-Aug-13 10:37:36

We had this a few years ago, DH and I went to look at cars at a Nissan main dealer, the salesman looked us up and down, went to another suited customer then eventually came back to us. I told him our requirements (3-5 adults/dog/wheelchair space and able to pull a caravan), he didn't listen and pointed to the far corner where the part exchanges were. None were bigger than a small hatchback!
We drove 25 miles to the next one..Within an hour we were dealing with the paperwork to buy a pathfinder.
I still avoid the original garage which is 3 miles from home due to the attitude we received!
He had made an assumption and as a result lost his branch the sale and future services!

cocolepew Fri 02-Aug-13 09:31:10

That's priceless Bogeyface grin.

When me and my exbf went to but my engagement ring the shop wouldn't let us in! I was wearing a t-shirt coloured, pattered leggings (it was the 80's blush)and beaten up Converse. You had to be buzzed in to the shop and the security guard wouldn't do it. We were left standing there like idiots.

BF opened his wallet and waved the cash about hmm. They nearly tripped over themselves to open the door. As soon as they did we turned and walked away.

ineedtogetoutmore Fri 02-Aug-13 09:16:25

I always loved Michael Cain ... I can't believe some of these stories I can't believe some businesses manage to stay in business when the staff are so rude!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 02-Aug-13 02:49:16

DS (21) has run into this recently. He is looking for a specific car, a Toyota MR2, he has the money burning a hole in his bank account and is looking in earnest. Good ones are hard to find so we've covered a few miles in his quest to find the right one. Recently he saw one advertised at a dealer's about 90 minute drive from here so he called them up and asked them if he could come and view it and take it out for a test drive, he dealer said it would not be a problem so we got in my car and set out. Upon arrival the dealer changed his mind, apparently DS was 'too young' to be 'serious' about buying this car and demanded a £1k deposit before he would allow DS to take it out.

I was once very obviously followed around Primark by a hostile-looking security guard type. I don't look like a shoplifter afaik and I had DS2 in his buggy. I was so offended that I boycotted Primark for about two years.

MidniteScribbler Fri 02-Aug-13 01:51:48

I get the same experience a lot. Single mother, so they automatically think "benefit scrounge". I had a really hard time when I was looking for a new house. So many snarky comments from agents. When I found this one, I was discussing making an offer. "Won't you need to call mummy and daddy and ask first?" "No, they're dead." "Oh, well you'd better call your bank, they might not lend that much money to you." "That won't be necessary. I'm paying cash." Cue real estate agent practically falling over himself. Idiots.

shewhowines Fri 02-Aug-13 01:06:10

We had the same experience at BMW when we were younger. What is it with BMW?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now