To want my house to be neat and organised?

(33 Posts)
PenguinBear Tue 30-Jul-13 17:16:47

I want to spend a few weeks organising my whole home Anthea Turner style.

I started this morning on DD1s room and we've filled a huge bin bag (and not finished yet).

Feeling better already... DP doesn't see the point but the dc are surprisingly enthusiastic.

AIBU to want a home where we can actually find things and people can call round without us needing an hour to tidy up first!

P.s. anyone have any suggestions about how I can get DP to help around the house? He does nothing as house work isn't his thing hmm.

PenguinBear Tue 06-Aug-13 18:06:32

Its almost a week later and I still have to tackle to garage, playroom and ds's room!

PenguinBear Wed 31-Jul-13 15:56:30

Hope things are okay blackeyedsusan.

I worked on my classroom all morning and working on the house again this afternoon. Living room is next grin

Poppy4453 Wed 31-Jul-13 11:00:20

I'm really good at decluttering, it's great to thrown stuff out. Too much stuff is hard to handle. I filled 5 bags againg this month, I do that every month. Stuff just creeps in :-(

I'm happier in a tidy home, I can live with a bit of dirt but clutter is stressfull.

IsSpringSprangedYet Wed 31-Jul-13 10:23:36

Really hoping blackeyedsusan means play fighting. But even then.... sad

noisytoys Wed 31-Jul-13 10:19:22

So he does nothing around the house and he's physically abusive? You deserve so much better than him. He is a pathetic man child and wouldn't last 5 minutes out in the big world alone sad what does he bring to your relationship?

seanbonbon Wed 31-Jul-13 10:07:04

Blackeyedsusan - That's not the way it should be at allsad

You deserve better

I missed that one, blackeyedsusan are you okay?

num3onway Wed 31-Jul-13 08:30:04

I really need to do this. Kids rooms are okay. But that's about it. Even my bathroom is cluttered

ektorp Wed 31-Jul-13 08:28:43

Whooa, rewind, blackeyedsusan He tries to thump you?

ITCouldBeWorse Wed 31-Jul-13 08:26:53

Penguin bear, I suggest you declutter your h.

Functioning adults cannot opt out. Otherwise they are booted out. No room for parasites.

hanreeoak Wed 31-Jul-13 08:12:38

I've just spent the last four days decluttering. Many, many bags have gone to the charity shop and I have cleaned and turned around all of our rooms. It all started with my eldest going to brownie camp and I thought I would take advantage of her being away, my mum had dd2 for two nights and ds3 has loved filling up bags of rubbish. I have our room and the hall left to do.
I'm so hoping that it stays tidy as the mess was making me feel so depressed. I was told it was a waste of time trying to tidy in the school holidays but to be fair to the children they put all thier toys away before bed with out me asking last night ( I'm sure it won't last) maybe it's because they finally have a home and they know where to put them. I gave them shed loads of praise and read an extra story.

Hope so penguin.
A month sounds like a long time but am sure it will fly in.
I need systems, daily routines.
Once I'm working we will have very little family time with all four of us and I do not want to spend it doing housework.

PenguinBear Wed 31-Jul-13 00:07:33

Once you get going Terra, you'll see results and want to carry on!

I am dedicating the whole of August to decluttering, organising and cleaning the entire house. I start working full time at the start of September after being at home for 2 years with the children.

I know what I need to do, but am bloody lazy.

BeaWheesht Tue 30-Jul-13 23:40:47

Yadnbu

BlackeyedSusan Tue 30-Jul-13 23:39:44

easier said than done though, flat. when they try and thump you becuse you have woken them up to remind them to take the bin out on bin night, you tend to do these things yourself. hmm

BlackeyedSusan Tue 30-Jul-13 23:37:14

my excuse is that my dad died last summer and I missed the annual trying to keep the house from appearing on life laundry/diy sos and how clean is your house session. I have been looking after mum a lot during the holidays and it has all got out of hand.

Flatasawitchestit Tue 30-Jul-13 23:36:17

I couldn't live in clutter and crap. I have crap drawers (don't we all?) but even they are sorted now and then.

I honestly believe tidy home tidy mind. I feel so much better when the house looks nice, and everything else slots into place.

As for your husband. Write up his jobs. Allocate certain things. If he wants to act like a child treat him like one smile

BlackeyedSusan Tue 30-Jul-13 23:34:35

oh and that is another job that needs doing, decrumbing the keyboard! freezer

LimitedEditionLady Tue 30-Jul-13 23:34:12

May i add,my OH only just manages to do one job around the house which is take the rubbish out.To do this I have to "remind" him roughly six times the last time involves the words "do' "it" and "now"He does not do anything else and i dont know how i can encourage him to (grow the frig up) share the load.
As a compliment once when i say you dont compliment me anymore he actually genuinely said "you clean up good" I wanted to shove the hoover somewhere...

BlackeyedSusan Tue 30-Jul-13 23:30:53

I am impressed that you only need an hour to tidy up.

i have though, spent all day, between reading tidying up most of the kitchen. i need to finish off tomorow as we ae away and then have a fridge freeze being delivered on saturday.

LimitedEditionLady Tue 30-Jul-13 23:28:34

I go for the cupboard at a time option...then get bored and leave it for ages.Why do men have such annoyi.g pointless things?My OH seems to have things that just dont have a place,they cant be categorised to a room( its just shit)and he cant throw it away.

Hmmm would he notice if it just "disappeared"...

deleted203 Tue 30-Jul-13 23:28:15

I'd love my house to be tidy and organised. But I'm like the JollyHolidayGiant...

Also, the weather is lovely and we live at the beach. DS3 and I spent 8 hours there today. And it was fab. Given the choice between bagging up crap and sitting in a deck chair reading I will always go for the latter, unfortunately.

Tailtwister Tue 30-Jul-13 23:22:24

Good for you OP! I desperately need to do to the same, but have been too lazy thus far.

YANBU to do it. If your DH won't tackle it, he's lucky you will!

JollyHolidayGiant Tue 30-Jul-13 23:21:53

I WANT my house to be tidy and organised. But I'd like someone else to do it for me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now