To think that Dino Ferranti was a manipulative ass?

(109 Posts)
bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 16:08:37

Just re-reading Riders and its struck me that he was being a complete ass to Fen - telling her that he wasn't going to wait around for her and if she wouldn't sleep with him he'd just go elsewhere. hmm

AudrinaAdare Tue 30-Jul-13 19:37:20

Oh I remember her name now. Trixie. All of fifteen years old hmm

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 30-Jul-13 19:39:59

I'm retreading riders right now too! Billy should never have gone back to Janey. Poor fen.

If rupert cheats on taggie I'll be furious!

StickyProblem Tue 30-Jul-13 19:52:24

Billy had to go back to Janey though, because in Jilly marriage is sacred. Very few marriages break up - even Jake went back to Tory although Helen stayed away from Rupert....
David Hawkley was nice....although he did shag married Georgie, while he was single himself...
I got the impression from Jump that Jilly can't be bothered to write about sex any more, so when she does its that awful bad sex she thinks teenagers have. Look at whatBilly and Janey got up to in Riders compared to poor Amber, who has a few bonks but no fun.
I liked Dino but I agree OP he could have been kinder to Fen, seeing as she was his future wife!
I think, sadly, much of Jilly just doesnt translate to modern times - all the men who hit women, never mind the serial shaggers....

Tell you who I can't stand....Viking. He comes across as a complete tit.

StickyProblem Tue 30-Jul-13 19:54:15

Talking of bad fictional characters, heal thyself AudrinaAdare ! I do hope you escaped your drippy husband and Whitefern!

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 30-Jul-13 19:55:31

I read Riders again recently and polo but Rivals still my favourite.

I never really liked Dino that much, loved Billy though and of course Rupert.

AudrinaAdare Tue 30-Jul-13 20:05:48

Stickyproblem are you saying that my family and upbringing were a tad dysfunctional? shock

AudrinaAdare Tue 30-Jul-13 20:07:14

I think you're right about sex in J.C. And totally agree about Viking. Twat.

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:46:27

I haven't read Appasionata in years... Or TMWMHJ - will have to dig out my old copies so we can compare them properly.

Another one here agreeing about the sex... How old was Jilly when she was writing her early books?

WMittens Tue 30-Jul-13 20:57:31

I misread the title, I thought it was about Dino Ferrari...

thispunderfullife Tue 30-Jul-13 21:07:40

I love this thread. I love Jilly cooper. And I totally agree with all comments posted here. wicked was extra awful I thought thought. Something about describing a kid with k watermelon smile....

Patrick ohara isn't horrible I don't think

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 21:09:12

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about Patrick! I did think that he was wasted on Cameron though. Why would you want to go out with someone who was still besotted with someone else?

I didn't like Wicked either...

thispunderfullife Tue 30-Jul-13 21:21:51

Wasted absolutely. Love Patrick but how hot are the Carlisle twins?! Lysanderevery time though

Lysander is also lovely, the way he adores Kitty...

TheDeadlyDonkey Tue 30-Jul-13 21:53:14

Although doesn't JC describe Kitty as huge (and Tory) and said they were around 11 stone?
I'd give my left buttock to be 11 stone!

Plomino Tue 30-Jul-13 21:53:54

Now Lysander got right on my nerves, being so feckless . But Ricky France Lynch , I SO would . Although I would probably settle for Bas as a occasional treat ..... Janey was bloody vile though , self absorbed cow .

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 30-Jul-13 21:54:57

Lysander is lovely but dim.

Alizarin Belvedon is faithful, isn't he? And rather nice.

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:12

Alizarin belvwd

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 21:56:42

Alizarin belvedon? Have I missed a JC book?! I f

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 21:57:18

I don't remember him!

Stupid iPhone!

Bowlersarm Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:10

Pandora?

AudrinaAdare Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:47

"Pandora", OP.

It's next on my list.

Plomino Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:51

Alizarin from Pandora ? With the god awful David and rosemary who runs away with the arms dealer .

bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 21:59:52

Ah. I only read it once. Will have to dig it out too. I don't even remember it!

AudrinaAdare Tue 30-Jul-13 22:01:43

Rosemary runs away with the arms dealer? shock

I definitely skimmed that one as well!

Alconleigh Tue 30-Jul-13 22:02:36

I STILL want to go to Patrick O'Hara's 21st. Dreadful selfish old lush that she is, Maud could throw a cracking party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now