What is wrong with describing someone as Asian?

(339 Posts)
ProudAS Tue 30-Jul-13 11:37:17

It's what the person is and not being used in a derogatory manner. My colleague felt he had to whisper though when describing another colleague to me.

I fail to see how describing someone by their ethnicity is any different to describing them by their gender.

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 14:48:46

Me too!

LongTailedTit Thu 01-Aug-13 14:44:13

Same here wicked - totally lost! grin

wickeddevil Thu 01-Aug-13 13:09:49

Wow. Have read pages 1 and 14 and missed out the ones in between.

Need a new jaw dropping emoticon.

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 12:58:50

Yeah me too,apparently i dont know my own life.oh well people eh .

It was all getting a bit nit-picky and tedious. I'm mildly irritated by the "that didn't happen" but hey ho.

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 11:09:52

Yes it is random and pointless.whatever you say lyra he/she will still go and on about it.im off,tedium has taken over.

Hmm. I think we've said all we should say on the matter as no-one knows the full facts.
I have very little sympathy with religious extremism as you may have guessed, especially when people of different religions are fighting and killing each other because they worship the same god in different ways.

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 09:21:57

And, as I have said, we have absolutely no idea what the Muslim parents at the school said or did. Our only witness was a child in th school at the time and presumable not privy to all communications between parent and teacher.

Curlew, no-one suggested that the Muslim parents were threatening to take their children out of school if they were made to read the work pig. The loony Christians were, which is why I think the teacher did the right thing, not because he appeased the religious extremism but because he didn't make those children suffer for their parents' extremism. Am I making myself clear?

I went to a CoW primary school. Books with witches were available to read, but I have never read Charlottes Web, as far as I know, the school didnt have it. Just thought I'd add that to the most random derailment of a thread I've ever seen grin

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:47:51

No i wont read it,your wasting my time.

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:47:12

You get your last word in now ok?go on itll make you feel better.

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:45:44

If you have already told me, I haven't understood. Try again?

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:42:35

I have already told you.this is just it you cant grasp that i am saying it isnt.you are a get the last word person.so what names have i called you?

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:29:19

Why isn't it the same?

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:26:17

No its not the same as witches how many times?

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:25:26

What names have i called you?

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:22:50

I have read back. I don't understand what you are saying.

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:21:58

No read back

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:18:20

"You cant stand that i dont agree with you,its laughable."

don't agree with me about what?

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:17:15

I don't actually think we've been discussing anything. You've been shouting at me and calling me names- and not actually addressing the issue!

Anyway. Is there a difference between not having Charlotte's Web as a class reader because it might be problematic for some Muslim families and not having The Worst Witch because it might be problematic for some achristian families?

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:12:23

You cant stand that i dont agree with you,its laughable.

LimitedEditionLady Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:17

So what have we been discussing for two days?you got meemory loss or you just ignorant?

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:01:06

What is a little odd is for you to post a bald statement -

"i remember not being allowed to read charlottes web as a class as it had a pig in it when I was small.Now thats got to have been a teacher that wouldnt allow it."

and not be prepared to discuss why that might have happened.

JustinBsMum Thu 01-Aug-13 07:59:44

In the US people use Asian to mean Chinese/Thai/Korean etc

So Asian is a bit vague as a term. Asia reaches from the Med to the China Sea I think and north Russia to Sri Lanka.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now