Leaving DC out in the garden...

(82 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sat 27-Jul-13 12:51:34

DH think IABU. I think he is being irresponsible. We will go with the wisdom of MN on this as we cannot agree.

We have 3 DC. DD1 is 4 and DTs are 2. Our garden is at the back of our house and our lounge is at the front of the house.

DH leaves the DC in the garden while he sits in the lounge. I hate it when he does this and I don't do it, I think they need to be watched.

We have a paddling pool (shallow but still a possible danger), a trampoline they can fall off, a garage full of tools and paint that they can access from the garden and there's also the (unlikely) risk of someone taking the kids from the garden.

AIBU to think they shouldn't be left unattended in the garden?

nurseneedshelp Sun 28-Jul-13 19:46:11

Valium- please don't think I'm here to judge, I've never had to work from home so no idea what that is like!

valiumredhead Sun 28-Jul-13 22:40:43

You need to get good at multi taskinggrin

countrymummy13 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:07:08

You should NEVER EVER leave children alone with access to any kind of collected water. Not even for a few seconds. Every year children die through accidental drowning. I'm horrified you would even think of doing that.

If you intend to leave the DC in the garden then the paddling pool needs to be drained.

Aside from the pool, whether or not to leave them in the garden depends on how safe your garden is.

My DD is 3 and I've let her play in the garden on her own since 2. But only when I can see her. I've also made sure all dangers are out of harms way and that the garden is secure (she can't get out, others could get in).

I personally don't think it reasonable or responsible to leave small children in the garden out of sight.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 28-Jul-13 23:13:10

I think they should be supervised and within sight of an adult.
Why doesn't he sit outside with them. Neither me nor dh would have dreamt of doing this your dh is totally unreasonable and irresponsible.

SirBoobAlot Sun 28-Jul-13 23:27:32

DS is allowed to play in the garden by himself. But I tend to be in the room next door (very odd lay out of my bungalow, garden backs off the conservatory, which backs off my bedroom) and we don't have the paddling pool out.

He is being vvv unreasonable in the lay out you have described.

sweetiepie1979 Sun 28-Jul-13 23:59:36

What's he doing watching tv mid day? Lazy sod! Can't he potter in the garden read a boon in the garden even? He's not setting a v good example. I have a 2 year old who plays in garden I'm not there constantly I'm in and out with washing and tidying etc. tell him to get of his ass.

possum18 Mon 29-Jul-13 01:00:25

YANBU my 2yo godson gets into all sorts of trouble even when I go for a quick wee!! I dread to think of the mayhem he could cause with a partner in crime!! Double trouble!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now