to want to buy a house with space in the kitchen for a fridge..?

(87 Posts)
MrsRajeshKoothrappali Thu 25-Jul-13 21:45:45

Viewed four houses today.

Two of them didn't have a space in the kitchen for a fridge. One of which was a brand new fitted kitchen done up to sell.

In one house you had to walk from the kitchen, through the dining room into a conservatory to access the fridge and in the other you had to walk through the utility room into the garage to get to it.

I thought it seemed too much of a faff and said that I needed the fridge to actually be in the kitchen, or at the very least in an ajoining room.

Estate agent looked at me like this: hmm

Am I totally spoilt and unreasonable. Or is wanting a fridge in the kitchen pretty standard?

Am starting to doubt myself..!

confused

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 26-Jul-13 09:15:01

YANBU
our fridge is currently in the dining room, but there is a Grand Plan to knock through, and reunite it with all the other kitchen appliances, who miss it dearly.

daisychicken Fri 26-Jul-13 09:16:26

Why but why would you not have a fridge in the kitchen?! I can understand not having the washing machine in a kitchen but in a garage (assuming no room for a wonderful utility room), I can understand a second fridge under the stairs/down the cellar/in the garage but not in the kitchen?! Mad!

I remember looking at a 2 bedroom house but the second bedroom couldn't fit a single bed in it! So why was it marketed as a 2 bed house?!

I would tell the estate agent! (and the only way I'd consider a house like that is if it needed a new kitchen immediately)

ZillionChocolate Fri 26-Jul-13 09:17:07

I have my freezer in the utility room and an additional fridge in the garage as our under the counter the fridge is a bit small. No way I could live without a fridge in the kitchen. Next time you're cooking, see how many times you go in the fridge. Could you be arsed with going in another room for that?

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Fri 26-Jul-13 09:17:13

Have just arranged another viewing for Tuesday in another property.

Price is low, yet it looks perfect.

However:

No mention of a fridge in the kitchen - not a sausage. Can't see one in any pictures either.

And the washing machine is located in the garage. Not a mahoosive problem, except it means that you wouldn't be able to fit a car in.

hmm

Going to view it anyway because there might be some wiggle room somewhere but still feeling a bit confused about it. I've moved many times and squidging in the white goods has never previously been a problem.

I mentioned it to the estate agent who told me that 'many people frequently use their garages for doing laundry now' except me, anyone I know and anyone I've ever met.

hmm

popgoesthecat Fri 26-Jul-13 09:18:36

our house was the same too, no room for fridge/freezer and the estate agent told us to knock down the cupboard under the stairs to put one in! we spent most of the first three months with a ff standing in the middle of the kitchen grin. our neighbours were the same and put theirs in the cupboard under the stairs.

In the end i took out two cabinets and replaced them with a separate larder fridge and freezer - ruined the look of the kitchen but who would design one without them! most odd

PeterParkerSays Fri 26-Jul-13 09:23:09

I guess, to be fair to the estate agents, they're just trying to sell what they've got, and they can hardly say "I agree, it's a bit crap that there's no room for a fridge" as it wouldn't get the house sold and commission coming their way.

For me, the greater question is how the current owners came to buy the houses in the first place - why didn't the lack of a fridge put them off?

OnFoot Fri 26-Jul-13 09:25:47

I've lived in 2 houses where the fridge and freezer are in the internal garage, next to the kitchen. One was employer-provided accommodation so we didn't have a choice and the other is a rental where it ticked all the other boxes and we needed to move fast so I accepted it, knowing it was relatively short term. In both places it has annoyed me hugely and on a daily basis. I can't understand why anyone designs or accepts installation of a kitchen with no fridge.

Our new house will have a fridge-freezer where it's supposed to be - in the kitchen!

I would definitely give honest feedback to the agent. The owners should always be given true reasons in my opinion.

More to the point, it wouldn't really matter if you were being unreasonable - you're buying the house, and what matters to you is relevant even if it doesn't bother other people. You're entirely right to think about what would annoy you. And going to the garage for the fridge annoys me several times a day!

LineRunner Fri 26-Jul-13 09:28:00

I agree with you about needing a fridge in the kitchen.

And I wouldn't want to be doing family laundry in a garage in the middle of a long cold winter.

The trouble is the houses are like dolls' houses, these new builds.

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Fri 26-Jul-13 09:29:36

I have a small galley kitchen. It has a washing machine, a slim dishwasher and a fridge with a small freezer (2/3 height of a standard fridge freezer). Ideally, I'd want a tall fridge freezer and less fridge space, but as a single person I can make do with this. I could have a full size fridge freezer but I'd have to lose a wall unit which would be a pain.

I would NEVER buy a kitchen that didn't have room for a fridge with some freezer compartment that's bigger than an ice box. Would happily have a chest freezer in a garage etc but fridge? No.

wfrances Fri 26-Jul-13 09:30:36

mines not in the kitchen
its in the utility room with the washing machine
mainly because its too big (6 of us)
it would be easy to put a normal size one back in though

PeterParkerSays Fri 26-Jul-13 09:31:36

People don't do their laundry in the garage - they often have their tumble drier in the garage - not the same thing at all.

Sidge Fri 26-Jul-13 09:37:54

I wouldn't buy a house where the kitchen had no room for a fridge.

But the garage with no room for a car wouldn't bother me - I don't know anyone apart from my FIL who actually puts their car in the garage! Mine is full of crap and there's a little utility room at the back of the garage where my washer and tumbler are, as well as a chest freezer.

When you think about it it's a bit weird to have a washing machine in a kitchen - why wash clothes in an area you prepare food? It makes more sense to have the fridge in the kitchen and the washing machine elsewhere.

miemohrs Fri 26-Jul-13 09:45:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadBusLady Fri 26-Jul-13 09:52:51

Fucksake, imagine trekking back and forth to the garage for milk every time you want to make a cup of tea!

I've never come across this, but I have seen swish brand new fitted kitchens with about 30cm of worktop space, because the cheapo developer has just put in basic appliances and some wall cupboards, wacked a fake granite worktop over it all and you're expected to swoon at the shiny.

And the agents don't see it because they are generally pimply twelve year olds who've never made anything in a kitchen other than a glass of Coke. Tell them how it is, the knobs.

NoComet Fri 26-Jul-13 09:55:25

YANBU
I have a reasonable sized fridge freezer in the kitchen, it still drives me nuts getting big stuff from the garage freezer.

BackforGood Fri 26-Jul-13 10:00:59

You seem perturbed about the not being able to get a car in the garage, but I think that's pretty common, tbh. A very small % of householders have their car in their garage these days.

The fridge though - now that is ridiculous.
I prefer the washing machine / tumble drier out of the kitchen if there's room elsewhere. That's a personal preference though, but surely everybody needs the fridge in the kitchen.

Pascha Fri 26-Jul-13 10:03:34

You'd love PILs house. There is a small under-counter fridge in the kitchen, a larger fridge-freezer in the adjoining utility (its just two steps away) and

A whole shed in the garden dedicated to all things freezer. 2 double and 1 single chest freezers.

Their electricity bill must be huge.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 26-Jul-13 10:05:09

YANBU If there's no fridge and no dishwasher etc., it barely qualifies as 'a kitchen'. It's just a room with a cooker and a sink.

clam Fri 26-Jul-13 10:05:11

I went to see some new-builds in the US a couple of years back. It's quite common there for laundry rooms to be upstairs, and kind of makes sense really. If you keep all your clothes up there, why schlep up and downstairs with them all the time? The massive washers sit in a tray type of thing, in case of leaks/floods.

gintastic Fri 26-Jul-13 10:06:32

YANBU. We've just finished having an extension built for a large kitchen. Prior, I had to go outside to the shed to get things from the fridge. Was awful - to the extent that I occasionally ordered takeaway because I couldn't bring myself to get all togged up in rain gear to go get the chicken.

I luffs my new kitchen very much indeed!

FatalFlowerGarden Fri 26-Jul-13 10:10:35

My fridge freezer is in the hall, next to the front door. Tiny rented flat, galley kitchen. It drives me mad, and I hate that the first thing people see when they come round is the bloody fridge!

YANBU.

wasabipeanut Fri 26-Jul-13 10:15:40

This is mad. Are houses now often so small and/or badly designed that fridges are a distance away from where you actually need them to be?

We have a galley kitchen but it does have an integrated fridge. Washing machine and additional fridge freezer next door in utility room. My old really titchy house which also had a galley kitchen managed fridge, freezer and washing machine. We even managed to cram a space saver dishwasher under one draining board.

I think * steppemum* is right and that people that don't cook just won't notice.

catsmother Fri 26-Jul-13 10:17:09

I've lived almost 9 years in a house where there isn't a fridge in the kitchen. As it stands, the only space left for one would be for an under the counter model - which are pretty small - and no room for a freezer. The room itself isn't too small but to fit a typical fridge freezer in we'd have to completely remodel the kitchen - which we can't afford to do. So - the fridge freezer lives in the dining room - which is up a small flight of stairs ..... after all this time I've kind of got used to it but it is a pain in the bum trying to carry several things down at once without dropping them, and packing shopping away without the benefit of dumping your bags on the unit before sorting it all out is also a minor nuisance. As is doing drinks ........

Stupid me thought we'd "sort" the kitchen out "soonish" so the lack of a fridge didn't put me off unduly but unfortunately life has got in the way since and I have no idea when/if it'll ever get sorted out. I do find myself getting irrationally annoyed with the previous owner every so often for getting such a stupid arrangement put in - but he was a single bloke so probably didn't think most people would want an upright fridge/freezer actually in their kitchen.

catsmother Fri 26-Jul-13 10:18:04

Though this thread has at least offered me a bit of mild reassurance that I'm not the only person in the country with a weird kitchen .......

LRDYaDumayuIThink Fri 26-Jul-13 10:23:13

We don't have a fridge in the kitchen. We have a tiny, ridiculous dishwasher that is too small to put fullsize plates in unless you stack them right at the edges where the swinging bar can't hit them.

We have a fridge stacked on top of the washing machine in the cubbyhole by the bathroom, which means that as a 5'5 woman I can't see into the top compartment and can't reach to the back of it.

It is quite annoying and I do think whoever decided to use the space like that was more than a bit nuts, but it's not so bad as you'd think. However I think if you're buying, you should be able to tell them what you want and expect them not to put on fake surprise when it's something ordinary like a fridge in the kitchen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now