to remind people that 1 in 3 children born on Tuesday were born into poverty

(280 Posts)
kim147 Thu 25-Jul-13 00:16:09

www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/jun/15/poverty-map-britain#ward

Check out your local ward. 41% in inner city Leeds where I work.

Let's not forget them.

MalcolmTuckersMum Thu 25-Jul-13 07:21:26

Probably because that was when the new Royal baby was born Little and as everyone knows these problems didn't exist at all in any form at any time in the past in this country. It's all the baby's fault!

The prince was born on Monday wasn't he?

kim147 Thu 25-Jul-13 07:23:05

It's children living in families where the income is 60% of the median income.

That is quite a way below - and when you are in such a family, life is pretty hard especially when you look round and see how others live. Relative poverty is very hard.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:23:36

Tabitha - given you don't agree with the measures used, how can you now use them to back up your political points about Labour? Why are you making this party political?

'Root causes of poverty' - like low wage economy, inequality, regressive taxation system.

You are chucking sound bites around like a good 'un but nothing you say actually means anything.

Either you think the poor deserve to stay poor or you don't.

Summerblaze Thu 25-Jul-13 07:24:05

Yes, the baby was born on Monday.

MalcolmTuckersMum Thu 25-Jul-13 07:24:18

Except it was born on Monday grin - I think - [dazed and confused]. In any event I can't see any link in the article to the 'Tuesday' thing.

And some of those children also have the self determination to get out of it.

Some children are born i to wealth and don't amount to a hill of beans ....

There is more to poverty than just putting some £££££ value to it.

wintersdawn Thu 25-Jul-13 07:24:39

I'm with matilda if ypu you can't afford them don't have them. I'd love more kids but know their quality of life would go down so have made the decision not to. You don't even have to pay for contraception in this country so there is no excuse.

kim147 Thu 25-Jul-13 07:24:42

Of course it's not the baby's fault - but just a reminder about the reality of live for many children in this country.

MalcolmTuckersMum Thu 25-Jul-13 07:28:40

There have been many threads lately about the very real difficulties being experienced by so many MN'ers. Many threads. Some of the stories have been moving and humbling. What is your motive in starting this one? What has 'Tuesday' got to do with it?

kim147 Thu 25-Jul-13 07:31:30

So I got the date wrong - sue me.

With all this gushing about the Royal family and all the press adoration / attention and all the crowds outside, where's the same for these children?

That's the point.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:31:50

MalcolmTuckersMum - I think the point being made is a baby is not responsible for where it gets born - whether into poverty or wealth.

littlewhitebag Thu 25-Jul-13 07:32:17

The royal baby was born on Monday.

Children are born into poverty every day. It's terrible. But nothing to do with the royal baby in the slightest.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:34:27

Winters - I respect you because your post shows you are honest enough to admit you have no compassion, subtlety or human kindness. At least you don't hide behind sound bites. I can respect the heartless.

MalcolmTuckersMum Thu 25-Jul-13 07:38:46

Of course no baby is responsible for where, when or how it gets born. Only an idiot could think otherwise. I just think this thread is disingenuous - is it an anti-Royalty rant (cos let's face it, there hasn't been even one of those since the birth) or is it to draw attention to the article or is it because the OP wants us to consider the dreadful way that so many people are being forced to live right now? Because as I said before there have been quite a few threads lately on that very matter. Upsetting threads. I can't quite see the need for another one.

kim147 Thu 25-Jul-13 07:43:26

It's because there has been so much support for the monarchy and so much press attention -endless headlines, media stuff etc

But the reality of life in modern day Britain gets ignored by a lot of mainstream media and all these cuts etc get so much support in the press whilst those who struggle get ignored and even criticised.

I work in one of those areas where children have a really hard life. Where's their voice? Why aren't people out there sending them stuff whilst people are happy to send cards and baby gifts to a family who have no need for them.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:43:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

peachactiviaminge Thu 25-Jul-13 07:46:38

If a child has a right to life is not your choice to make thankfully Matilda. I have two beautiful children living in poverty but they eat they are happy and most importantly they are loved. Money is never everything people who abuse their children could be rich but I guess they have more of a right to their babies than I do to mine because they have money and who needs love and compassion if you have cold hard cash.

peachactiviaminge Thu 25-Jul-13 07:48:00

Oh and 37% in the poorest city in England.

MalcolmTuckersMum Thu 25-Jul-13 07:49:16

Do try not to be silly Swish. There is no such thing as 'the thread police' (Except MNHQ). There are people with different and differing opinions. That is all.

ShadeofViolet Thu 25-Jul-13 07:50:53

And those who have children, then have an illness/disability/redundancy - what should those people do? Choose their favourite?

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:53:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HarryandJess Thu 25-Jul-13 08:01:10

YABU. I'm with mummymeister and tabithastephens on this.

YANBU it's awful that in a first world country like ours there is a need for food banks etc.

Fayrazzled Thu 25-Jul-13 08:06:58

Gosh the petty squabbling on this thread is so depressing. Nothing is going to be done to reduce child poverty and increase income equality while people are more prepared to argue over the definitions used to measure poverty than they are to turn their minds to sorting the situation out. I didn't see this thread as anti-Royal either. The OP was just pointing out that 1 in 3 children born on the same day as Prince George will be born into poverty. I think thta's quite shocking actually. In the same way George cannot help being born into the Royal Family neither can those children help the families they are born into.

It is an interesting question why people are so apathetic not just about this issue but the wider dismantling of the welfare state, NHS, justice system etc. is it an I'm all right Jack attitude, so people don't worry about those services until they need them? Is the media complicit by not focussing on these issues more in the media? I don't know TBH. Why is it acceptable for the tiny richest % of the population to get richer while the rest of us stand by and let it happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now