Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder what the bloody secret to contentment is?

(255 Posts)
Tailtwister Wed 24-Jul-13 15:28:01

AIBU to wonder if contentment exists and if so, how do you damn well get it?

You meet some people who just seem so content with their lives in general and appear to be able to enjoy all the great things and not be overly bothered by the bad. They are often not those who have the most in a material sense, but seem to be so happy with what they do have IYSWIM. I would LOVE to be like that, but I'm just a discontent and dare I say it, jealous person. I hate being like that, but wonder if that's just me, the way I am.

So, all those who are content with their lot. What's the secret? Is it just a mind set which you either have or not?

alreadytaken Sat 27-Jul-13 09:17:28
blue2 Sat 27-Jul-13 19:09:07

Already - My son and I are reading this book^^ its been recommended to him for his stress levels, and I reckon it can do me no harm at all!

KinkyDorito Sat 27-Jul-13 20:20:29

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY08aXxor20

The above is a lecture delivered by Prof Mark Williams who wrote the book on mindfulness linked to above. He was speaking at the School of Life.

waterlego Sat 27-Jul-13 22:12:32

Thank you whitecloud. flowers

It's a strange road, for sure, and just when I think I'm all out of strength, I find another little pocketful of it somewhere. smile

ThreeTomatoes Sat 27-Jul-13 22:25:46

This is an interesting article, about the history of happiness, and how our perception of what happiness is and how to come by it has changed over the years.

And on the same site: 10 things science says will make you happy which I think rings true.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now