Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think if someone is sat in the furthest corner of an empty break room

(18 Posts)
Souredstoneshasasouredpebble Tue 23-Jul-13 15:16:03

And they're facing the wall looking at their phone its a pretty good indication they don't want to be disturbed?

So why is it people always come and try and start telling me about the mundane happenings in their life when it is clear I don't want to talk to them? Yes I am ignoring her and yes she is still wittering on about some bollocks or other.

It's safer to ignore than to tell her to fuck off

I dare you! wink

Sirzy Tue 23-Jul-13 15:17:06

I think it depends on context but I would think that was a pretty rude thing to do!

Sirzy Tue 23-Jul-13 15:17:32

Sorry missed that you are in a break room, not quite as rude then.

Ragwort Tue 23-Jul-13 15:17:49

YANBU but how often do you read on mumsnet that 'I was sitting on my own with only my phone for company and no one talked to me, why am I being ignored, I find it so hard to make friends'.

You just can't win grin.

Souredstoneshasasouredpebble Tue 23-Jul-13 15:18:02

Tempted. Sorely tempted

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Jul-13 15:19:36

Send her a text telling her to fuck off grin

YouTheCat Tue 23-Jul-13 15:19:42

Have you got any headphones you can plug in?

quesadilla Tue 23-Jul-13 15:20:14

Yes. But you are forgetting some people have no social radar whatsoever.

Souredstoneshasasouredpebble Tue 23-Jul-13 15:20:37

Sadly not. I think I'm going to go and wander around outside in the rain

curlew Tue 23-Jul-13 15:21:05

How rude are you! You're not one of those ghastly people who talk about "mundanes" as if you're a super evolved species, are you?

Souredstoneshasasouredpebble Tue 23-Jul-13 15:22:40

No. I'm someone who likes to be left alone occasionally. Nothing wrong with that is there?

quesadilla Tue 23-Jul-13 15:24:53

worra smile
I fantasise about doing this..,

StuntGirl Tue 23-Jul-13 15:34:58

I hate being disturbed on my lunch break, especially if it was nice and quiet to start with. Sometimes I just want to sit and read my book without some idiot wittering on at me!

YouTheCat Tue 23-Jul-13 15:37:27

Curlew, why should anyone have another person enforcing their boring chitchat on them during their break?

OP didn't mention 'mundanes' whatever the hell that is. She said 'mundane happenings'.

I'm completely with you on this, OP.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 23-Jul-13 15:38:22

Ah mundane chit chat. I care not that your dog has it's period and is wearing your daugthers pants as not to mess up your cream carpets. Nor do I care that little Billy woke up dreaming that there was a 6 legged cat on his head last night.

I just want my break in peace!

Beastofburden Tue 23-Jul-13 15:39:35

I like to be quiet on my lunch break, so I dont go to the canteen, because it is designated social space, and people can reasonably expect me to talk to them if I go there.

HellonHeels Tue 23-Jul-13 15:40:55

I hear you OP. I have a low capacity for social interactions and really need a break from other people at lunchtime. Your colleague's desire to chat does not come above your wish for alonetime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now