to be pissed of at feathery neighbours having a late night party

(43 Posts)
giraffesCantWearSuncream Mon 22-Jul-13 00:25:21

I fell asleep about an hour ago. Woke 5 mins ago to birds going absolutely bonkers outside. Loads and loads of them squawking and screeching! Have lived her for 6 years and never heard anything like it!

So get a lot of sea (city) gulls as fairly close to a river.

What on earth would cause them to do this?!

squoosh Mon 22-Jul-13 00:27:59

Same thing happening here, has been going on for a week or so. Seagull convention is in town and they are LOUD AND PROUD.

I think it's the time of year when all the baby seagulls are leaving the nest so the overbearing parents stand and keep (vocal) guard while their young charges enter the big bad world.

giraffesCantWearSuncream Mon 22-Jul-13 00:31:05

They went deadly silent there for a min and now started again - must have been really loud to wake me as I live in a flat with noisy neighbors, parallel to a main road and never wake up from noise!

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Mon 22-Jul-13 00:36:19

They are plotting to kill you. Lock all windows.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Mon 22-Jul-13 00:36:31

I've got the same! Bloody screeching and squealing from the flat roof on the house behind mine.
Think it is fledgling related.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 22-Jul-13 00:38:08

Same here. We live by a stream, so we are used to the sound of ducks having a fight after kicking out time, but as I type, we have seagulls overhead and we've also had geese in the early hours for the past few days.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Mon 22-Jul-13 00:38:40

They don't practise flying in the dark though surely?

We had this earlier this morning too, but I knew what it would be and sure enough when I hung out the window our cat was terrorising them. It could be they are calling out warnings that a cat is nearby.

pianodoodle Mon 22-Jul-13 08:13:58

Eeek "The Birds"!

Funny there were a load of gulls circling the garden here doing the same thing the other day.

I told DH it was because he still hadn't taken all the bin bags to the tip from our clear out and clearly the birds thought this was the new landfill site...

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jul-13 08:15:20

One word.

Cat.

or fox

cozietoesie Mon 22-Jul-13 08:17:50

True - except than foxes can't climb so well.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Mon 22-Jul-13 08:19:12

Storm coming maybe

Latara Mon 22-Jul-13 08:59:45

There was a storm last night if you are down South.

Latara Mon 22-Jul-13 09:15:04

That usually sends the seagulls inland a bit, as does sea fog I think. (Or the hope that they can scavenge some food - maybe a neighbour has been leaving out bird food).

JADS Mon 22-Jul-13 14:13:10

We had the baby seagulls leaving the nest every day at 5.15am. It woke up ds (2.5) who then refused to sleep.

Came home the other day to find said baby seagull dead. I do wonder if one of the neighbours shot it with an air rifle....No noise since

Jan49 Mon 22-Jul-13 15:41:12

I moved to the seaside last year. For the past few weeks, when I walk down our road and get halfway down, a seagull swoops at me 3 or 4 times. I think it's warning me off of its young. It's quite frightening to see a seagull coming towards you at a distance like a plane coming in to land but aiming at you. I always duck but wonder what would happen if I didn't. I assume it would just swoop close over my head. Or would it poke my eyes out? I'm not sure. hmm I'm sure if the film/story "The Birds" ever happened for real, it would be the seagulls that would start the trouble. grin

FeckOffCup Mon 22-Jul-13 15:51:43

There are thunderstorms coming tomorrow.

My granny lived near the sea, one of my earliest memories is of lying in bed in her house and listening to the gulls making one hell of a racket outside.

ephemeralfairy Mon 22-Jul-13 15:55:46

Same here!! I shouted at them to shut the fuck up. It didn't workhmm

WireCat Mon 22-Jul-13 15:56:33

The seagulls are really loud around here at the moment as well.

WTF?

Salmotrutta Mon 22-Jul-13 16:07:45

It's bovver boy crows round our way. They were having a parliament. Or is it a murder?

Parliament of rooks?

Murder of crows? confused

JADS Mon 22-Jul-13 16:11:28

Ephemeral fairy - are you my husband???? He did this too, it didn't work either grin

squoosh Mon 22-Jul-13 16:13:44

I live in a top floor flat, one sits on the chimney and squawks like you would not believe, then it's amplified down into my sitting room. SO LOUD!

I tried to stick my head up the chimney and shout at him. No bloody use.

giraffesCantWearSuncream Mon 22-Jul-13 22:55:52

Glasgow - but we due storms tomorrow too.

I'd be really interested to find out whether they sustain the same racket in 2 or 3 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now